Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Shipping guitar FedEx Ground
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2004 :  10:33:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Just an fyi. I went to FedEx today to ship a guitar via FedEx Ground. The employee told me that musical instruments are only insurable up to a value of $100.

Upon further investigation:
  1. I found info at their website saying, "FedEx Ground's liability with regard to any package is limited to the sum of $100" for packages containing "Guitars and other musical instruments that are more than 20 years old." This is not the case for my guitar so I phoned FedEx.
  2. I was told that any package containing (a whole list of items, one of which being) "customized or personalized musical instruments" is limited to the sum of $100.
After further discussion, it was deemed that the instrument I want to ship is not "customized or personalized" since it is a stock item from a music store. Therefore, I MAY insure it up to its retail, replaceable value. Kudos to the customer service people (a rep in Atlanta) for helping to research FedEx policies, educate the employee in the NJ location, and then helping me correct the situation.

Just an fyi for everyone. And please cross your collective Taropatch.net fingers that the shipment is delivered to its intended recipient in a safe, uneventful manner.

Happy Holidays.

Andy

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2004 :  12:11:18 PM  Show Profile
I've had to do this a few times. For those of you with valuable instruments - check with your homeowners insurance provider. I insure all of my guitars for replacement value for about $40/year as a rider to my homeowners insurance. This covers, theft, loss, and whatever regardless of how or where it happens, including being stolen from my car. It also covers the cases and anything inside the cases. I use State Farm, but I'm sure the others will do this. Also, when I shipped my RainSong to Maui, the FedEx Insurance (for replacement value) was about $40 and they didn't even ask what was inside.
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2004 :  03:41:33 AM  Show Profile
Terry,

Maybe you have some info on this that can help me decide what to do.

I have been going around and around on this insurance issue for years. I have Travelers/GEICO home insurance. I have a "comprehensive" plan that includes *replacement* value for contents. Every time I call them and talk to them about about special riders ( I have done this 3 times whenever I get worried), they say that a rider is not necessary. But, I am concerned that they won't honor this, especialy since they tell you that you need riders for other special possesssions.

In addition, there is the whole issue of determining what the replacement value is. The usual requirement of specialty insurers is that you need a statement or price list from the maker. But, all our guitars are specially designed or have wood that doesn't even exist anymore. (And, specialty insurers cost a *ton* - at least 10% of the instrument value each year.) How do you get around this?

I am going to call them again today, just because you have lit a fire under me:-)

Andy, the first person who gave you erroneous info is really an unusual bozo. I have shipped (ad had shipped to me) lots of guitars, as you know, and proper insurance was never an issue. It is too bad you had to jump through hoops to get the right thing done. And, it makes one wonder if this has become a subrosa policy that we all should watch out for. Something like this has happened at Radio Shack : a new hygrometer didn't work, so the friend who bought it went to get his money back the next day. The salesdroid said he couldn't take it back and give a refund because it was "broken", Catch 22! Then, after argument, he said he would only give store credit against future purchase. 30 minutes of arguments got him to give my friend his money back. It was a clear case of tactical retreat, and certainly policy.

Caveat emptor!

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2004 :  06:42:16 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Reid,
If they say you don't need a rider, ask to get that statement in writing, the name of the person to whom you spoke, date and time. If that is not forthcoming, the letter, write a letter documenting the telecon and send it certified to them, with the note at the end that if you do not hear otherwise, you assume this is a correct statement of their interpretation of your policy. And make sure you know the deductibles that would apply.
good luck=
n

nancy cook

Edited by - Auntie Nancy on 12/14/2004 06:43:26 AM
Go to Top of Page

Bing
Lokahi

USA
100 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2004 :  07:08:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bing's Homepage
I use SafeCo insurance and I took a photo of my Grimes and the price list from Steve Grimes web site and they gave me a rider for $5,000. and put my information in their file. It's covered for anything and everything that could happen to it. I plan to take it every where I go in my Clam case, including Colorado for a family gathering this Christmas.

HAPPY HOLLOW DAYS EVERYONE. (the surfers out there will understand)

Bing
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2004 :  07:43:32 AM  Show Profile
Reid,

I don't have anything exotic - a Taylor 814CE and a Goodall Grand Concert. My State Farm agent handled this pretty simply. I had to let them see the instruments and they asked for the replacement cost. Since both of my guitars were purchased used, I supplied the purchase invoices (or facsimile) and I got an independent appraisal from our local Big League dealer for each item. State Farm accepted these without any hassle. I agree with Nancy; if your insurance company says that you don't need a rider - I'd get it in writing. Bing's idea is also a good backup. Take lots of pictures and at least try to get them appraised; you probably know more about this than do I.

In my case, my homeowner's insurance is not cheap (living in California and all, plus I live in the area of San Diego that was heavily damaged in last year's fires. Although I only had minor damage, I'll be paying increased premiums because 9 of my neighbors were burned out.) What I'm not paying for the rider, I'm probably making up in my usual premium. My agent is very good, however and I've never had issues with the company. I used to have some expensive bicycles that I kept on a rider. One was stolen and State Farm paid replacement value - I just went down to the local pro shop and had them "virtually build" a replacement to get the cost.
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2004 :  09:27:48 AM  Show Profile
Mahalo for the advice everyone. You have given me ideas that I never thought of and I will certainly do what you said.

Aloha from Reid and Dragon
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000