Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 forging musical friendships & unique experiences
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2004 :  11:08:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Lots of fun stuff here everyday, but I wanted to point out something. After reading countless posts and emails, it really impresses me how the internet (and if I may unmodestly say Taropatch.net) has helped mainlanders and locals on Hawai`i connect and forge musical friendships & unique experiences.

The Maui crew has been huge in doing this. Kevin Brown and company have so many times invited all of us out to jam at Waihe`e. Not to mention invitations to hang out (or even perform) at the Maui slack key festival or open mics at the Blue Marlin.

I've read about Konabob hooking up with people visiting the Big Island. Or people planning to take a lesson with John Keawe. On Kaua`i, Auntie Maria offering up a free tour of KKCR radio. On O`ahu, I've been invited to member's homes for barbeques/jams. There are many more stories, I'm sure. Truly, this is the aloha spirit and providing visitors to Hawai`i with very special and unique experiences.

This is just something that I've been reflecting upon recently. And despite many hours spent here without monetary pay, I find this kind of thing very rewarding.

Also, makes we wonder if the Hawaii Visitors and Convention Bureau or newspapers or inflight magazines woudn't be interested in our stories. Just some random thoughts. Much aloha to everyone for a safe and happy holidays.

Andy

Bruddah Chrispy
Lokahi

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2004 :  12:16:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bruddah Chrispy's Homepage
Aloha kakou,

An internet-friendship story...

Long ago, back when 'The Internet' was mostly email and Usenet, a few expatriots were missing Hawai`i. Clay (allthumz), Eric and I had all worked together on O`ahu. Eric had come in contact with a fellow named Garrison through a music-oriented newsgroup. We wanted a forum for talking about Hawaiian music, so we created alt.culture.hawaiian.

A few years went by and we all continued to keep in touch. Clay was (and still is) in the Bay Area, Eric and I were in Seattle, Garrison moved from the east coast (North Carolina, I think) to Hawai`i. Alt.culture.hawaiian went the way of most 'alt' groups and became a sewer, so we created soc.culture.hawaiian.

Somewhere in the late 90's AT&T decided to send me to a conference in Hawai`i. I sent out an email to various folks saying that I'd be on island and Garrison offered me his couch to sleep on. So, one dark night I found myself in Kailua, suitcase in hand, knocking on the door of a person I had never met face-to-face. Garrison opened the door, handed me a beer, and we sat down to talking and getting caught up the way old friends do.

It was my first experience with an 'internet friend'.

Aloha a hui hou,
Chris P.

There's no regrets; only good times.
Go to Top of Page

sbar15
Lokahi

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2004 :  2:10:18 PM  Show Profile
I have to say I agree there is so much Aloha here in this forum. I have learned so much from so many here this is like one big family. I would like to thank everyone here with Aloha have a safe and Happy Holidays.

Steve

Steve
Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2004 :  7:52:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
I also have to echo what Steve had to say. I've never experienced chatting and posting on any website before this and have found the Taropatch Ohana to be some of the greatest and most talented folks I've ever encountered. I've learned so much with everyone's generous sharing of knowledge, music, wit and humor, and even travel tips! There really isn't any other place in the world like Taropatch.net. I would've never connected myself with the slack key world and experienced some great times, if it weren't for this site. I have also connected my friends to folks on the islands as a result of what has been posted. All in all, I can't thank everyone enough for the aloha spirit that is shared here. I hope to meet many of you in person someday, whether in workshops, music camps, or musical events! A big mahalo goes to you Andy for facilitating and managing this awesome site. Happy holidays to all, and looking forward to a great 2005!

Maggie
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2004 :  9:16:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
I didn't really "know" anybody at the Maui Slack Key Workshop this summer, but in a sense I did because I immediately met Lawrence, Bwop, wdf, pulelehua, dfpet, jsulle, Julie Hendriks and others I had posted with here on Taropatch.net. Everyone was so nice.
This place is a gift of aloha.
Mahalo.
Mele Kalikimaka e Hau'oli Makahiki Hou!
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2004 :  03:18:37 AM  Show Profile
Mele Kalikimaka!!
This site has also put a number of us non-musicians in touch w/ experts and with each other and really given us the help and inspiration to keep at it. As good as the books are, in a vacuum it's almost impossible to get through it if you're "musically challenged". Finding out about additional classes like Patrick's and getting early heads-up about concerts is awesome. I've never even thought of performing, I just wanted to sit "on the back porch" to play and sing. And those San Diego folks they no ka oi! .. no ka bes'!!
mahalo nui loa!!
aloha,
auntie

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2004 :  04:18:41 AM  Show Profile
Aloha kakou,

E Bruddah Crispy, so it was you who created alt.culture.hawaiian and soc.culture.hawaiian! Those were life-lines for Reid and me, before TP.net existed. Mahalo to you! Reid and I often marvel thankfully about the internet, without which (in the days of snail mail) we would have endured a now unthinkable isolation.

E Andy! Mahalo once again to you - for your brilliant original idea for this site, and your tireless and very personal attention to the administration of it.

aloha no,
Sarah
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2004 :  05:23:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Bruddah Crispy,

Great story. I had no idea you were involved in setting up alt.culture.hawaiian and soc.culture.hawaiian. Very cool.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2004 :  06:23:49 AM  Show Profile
Bruddah Chrispy, mahalo nui loa for your efforts with ACH and SCH.

In 1994-95 those two newsgroups begat online friendships which continue today. And it was within those groups that Robin Hebert (aka, "TitaR") was the first to coin the now oft-used phrase "cyber `ohana" to describe our motley group.

When a bunch of us mainlanders made a group trip to O`ahu in early 1995, we had a fun gathering at the Halekulani which included newsgroupies who flew over from Maui just so we could all put faces with names...names like "Panther", "KoryK", "Helen", "Pueo", "Nay-tan"...and a very young Ryan Ozawa and the girl he had just begun dating, Jen. Egad...now those two are married with _3_ young keiki...time flies!!

Mahalo, Bruddah

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2004 :  08:23:09 AM  Show Profile
Since coming on to TaraPatch I have enjoyed reading the interaction between members, and wealth of information & experiences they have provided. It is a great venue in keeping not only the slack key music alive but also keeping with the aloha spirit I love so much.
"thanks eh" to Andy, C-Patch, and many others who create, contribute, and maintain this site.
-slkho
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2004 :  09:23:39 AM  Show Profile
And, during the beginning days of the infamous alt.music.hawaiian - with its endless bickering, lawsuits and fistfights - it was Auntie Maria and a few others who kept it as civil as possible. It was also Maria who answered my newbie email about what music CDs we should listen to in order to understand the essence of Hawaiian music and she put us on to the Dancing Cat series. She also predicted that we would come to love falsetto, Hapa Haole, chant, and all the rest, and, Maria, you were so right!

So, Maria, isn't this place nicer, not to even mention more informative, than amh? (But, I still have my Hui Lupo T-shirt :-)

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2004 :  11:31:31 AM  Show Profile
Hey Reid -- woof, woof!

taropatch.net and nahenahe.net are islands of tranquility, aren't they? Actually, alt.music has calmed down considerably -- so much so, that many former regulars are wondering if it's even still alive...

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2004 :  8:10:59 PM  Show Profile
E Andy, eh, I mean Mr. Admin, is there a means of us lucky posters to contribute to the financial welfare of TaroPatch.net? I admit, I usually don't check the other topics as much as I check the message board. Maybe you can let us all know here how we can show our appreciation for you and all you do. This website can't be free and I'd love to contribute to it.

With much aloha, Julie
Go to Top of Page

Pops
Lokahi

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2004 :  10:21:12 AM  Show Profile
Aloha, all.

First off, a huge mahalo to Andy, for making this site possible. If there’s ever a Slack Key Hall of Fame your name deserves to be on the roll for your dedication, persistence, support and love of the art form. Well done, my friend.

Approximately 25-30 years ago I purchased Keola Beamer’s first instructional book in Cleveland, Ohio. It’s safe to say that slack key and ‘ukuleles are about as common in Cleveland as nice weather in December (…it’s not here!) While this book was a treasure, it was the only treasure available here on the North Coast of Ohio. Now, because of the internet I’m able to visit with my cyber-ohana and to talk story about an art form that’s near and dear to our hearts. This site motivates me, educates me, and provides me (and countless others) with wonderful resources. And if that isn’t enough, I’ve made some wonderful friends! A few months back I put the word out that my wife and I would be on Maui for business/pleasure. As you can imagine, Kevin Brown, immediately invited me to Waihe’e. When we arrived we literally left the airport on Saturday afternoon and drove straight to the kanikapila where we met Kevin, Sheldon, Hal and Carolyn. What wonderful, kind people (and great musicians!). If it wasn’t for tp.net it’s safe to say that wonderful afternoon would never had been shared with us. That memory is so special to my wife and I that I can’t imagine not having it and we treasure the aloha that was/is shared with us by those wonderful folks.

When I first got really serious about guitar I used to go to the public library and get Harry Smith’s Anthology of American Folk Music (all that vinyl!). I had to painstakingly listen to reproductions of 78rpms in order to try and figure out what they were doing. Now, with computers and CDs, it’s so much more accessible. If only I had those resources 40 years ago!!! And now, because of tp.net, I don’t have to wade through a lot of other things in order to get to the heart of the matter when it comes to learning a new tune, etc.

There’s a lot of snow outside my window yet I’m listening to KCCR via the internet! Hopefully my Christmas elf got my list off to Auntie Maria and there’ll be some slack key under my Christmas tree.

Thanks, again, Andy, Auntie Marie and to the Browns for making something so special come alive for all of us. Mele kalikimaka, everybody!
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2004 :  3:23:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Julie Hendriks

E Andy, eh, I mean Mr. Admin, is there a means of us lucky posters to contribute to the financial welfare of TaroPatch.net? I admit, I usually don't check the other topics as much as I check the message board. Maybe you can let us all know here how we can show our appreciation for you and all you do. This website can't be free and I'd love to contribute to it.

With much aloha, Julie

So far, it's still not really expensive to run this site (well, unless you calculate man hours). But thank you for offering. Besides posting and participating, those who would like to support Taropatch.net may visit http://www.taropatch.net/support

Thanks to all those who do click through the links. And for anyone wondering, Amazon is the most clicked through for this site. Mahalo to all of you who do help out! It's very much appreciated.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2004 :  10:55:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Julie Hendriks

Maybe you can let us all know here how we can show our appreciation for you and all you do. This website can't be free and I'd love to contribute to it.
Oh yeah, and if I may also plug my day job (which pays the bills)... if anyone would like to work with an investment adviser who plays slack key - I am your guy.

I work in a family business that manages stock and bond portfolios for clients (individuals and institutions). We also do financial planning. Check www.runnymede.com to learn more about us. We are not brokers or salespeople but investment people. I'd be happy to review anyone's current portfolio.

Andy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000