Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Tunings
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2002 :  04:00:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
I have a specific question but figured I'd create a general topic. I've noticed that the C Ni'ihau/Old Mauna Loa tuning shows up on the Internet as both CGDGAD (TaroPatch.net tuning chart and Daniel Ho's book) and CDCGAD (Keola Beamer and Big City String Company). Which is correct? (Incidentally, this is the tuning Keola uses for Morning Dew.)

Craig

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2002 :  2:01:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
hi craig,

perhaps they both are correct? isn't a "ni'ihau" tuning one in which adjacent strings are a fifth apart (like a mandolin, which is in G: G D A E). in C, that should be C G D A, which is buried in both of those tunings, so they should both be a C ni'ihau tuning, i guess (shuffle feet).

isn't keola's version of ku'u morning dew awesome?

aloha,
keith

Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2002 :  4:01:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Hey Keith, thanks for the response. I realize they're both the same in terms of notes, I just thought perhaps one was the "official" version. Or maybe one is C Ni'ihau and the other is Old Mauna Loa.

Yes, Keola's version is awesome. I'm in the (slow) process of tabbing it out now.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2002 :  7:50:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
hi craig,

everytime i hear his version of ku'u morning dew,i think of tabbing it out too, but then i remember it's in another tuning and so wait for someone else to do it. are the bell tones in his piece natural or pinch harmonics? they sound so beautiful...

the more i learn about slack key, the less i think there is anything that is "official". there are lots of "wahine" tunings, even in the same key, for example. my kumu likes to change his tuning just to be able to get a certain effect. when i ask him the name of the tuning, he often doesn't know, and says he learned as a kid hanging out at the general store in kaunakakai.

aloha,
keith

Go to Top of Page

makotom
Aloha

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2002 :  9:10:30 PM  Show Profile
Aloha,

I don't know if I should create a separate topic, but I have a specific question regarding C Mauna Loa tuning, which I see a couple of versions. Led Kaapana's version is EAGECG (higher to lower string), George Kuo's version (as well as Dennis Kamakahi's version) is EAGEGC. They are often tuned down a whole step, so they are actually DGFD(Bb)F or DGFDF(Bb).

I have a problem with both. With the first one, I have to tune up 5th and 6th string and I worry about effect to the guitar's neck. With the second one, 6th string is very low (Bb), so I don't get good clear bass tone. so I created my own version, which is DGF(Bb)FD, since it is important to have Bb note and F note available for bass in key of Bb. With this tuning, I have no problem playing, say E Lili'u E (Led Kaapana's Led Live Solo).

I would like to know your opinion on my tuning, particularly potential problems since, if there is a problem, I want to switch to other version(s) before it is too late.

Makoto

========================
Makoto Morise
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2002 :  11:06:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
quote:
everytime i hear his version of ku'u morning dew,i think of tabbing it out too, but then i remember it's in another tuning and so wait for someone else to do it. are the bell tones in his piece natural or pinch harmonics? they sound so beautiful...

The chimes are natural (12th fret, strings 4-2-3-4 as far as I can tell), the tuning is Old Mauna Loa (C-G-C-G-A-D) as I already mentioned. The tabbing is slow going for me...I've only got the intro done so far...but it's fun. Hopefully I won't be sick of the song by the time I've done (I must have listened to the intro at least 50 times by now and it's still beautiful!)

Craig
Go to Top of Page

kihoalukid
Lokahi

USA
289 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2002 :  2:18:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit kihoalukid's Homepage
makotom, ref the 2nd (kamakahi) tuning, if your only prob is the
Bb low 6th string, you might just try a heavier gauge 6th string.
sometimes in these low tunings thiings can get a little "flabby"
sounding especially with light gauge strings.

Go to Top of Page

makotom
Aloha

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2002 :  8:05:42 PM  Show Profile
kihoalukid

Thank you for your suggestion.

quote:

makotom, ref the 2nd (kamakahi) tuning, if your only prob is the
Bb low 6th string, you might just try a heavier gauge 6th string.
sometimes in these low tunings thiings can get a little "flabby"
sounding especially with light gauge strings.

========================
Makoto Morise
Go to Top of Page

Pops
Lokahi

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2002 :  10:05:58 PM  Show Profile
Try CGEGAE. It's cool!

Peace,
Pops

Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2002 :  01:33:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
quote:
The chimes are natural (12th fret, strings 4-2-3-4 as far as I can tell), the tuning is Old Mauna Loa (C-G-C-G-A-D)
Must have had some bad poi the night I wrote this...the chimes are at the 7th fret, strings 3-1-4-3. Sorry!

Craig
Go to Top of Page

cgriffin
Aloha

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2002 :  1:27:14 PM  Show Profile  Send cgriffin a Yahoo! Message
What's the difference between a natrual and pinch harmonic?

Chris

quote:

--
Chris Griffin
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2002 :  1:54:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Natural harmonics are played on open strings at the 4th, 5th, 7th, or 12th frets. (I can't get a natural harmonic out of my guitar on the 4th fret but Keola can on his.) A pinch, or artificial, harmonic is played by fretting a string first then playing the harmonic 4, 5, 7, or 12 frets away from wherever you're fretting (again, I'm taking Keola's word on the 4th fret harmonic). Typically you do this by placing the fourth (index) finger of your right hand on the string above the harmonic fret and then pluck it with the first finger of your right hand (immediately removing your fourth finger after plucking, of course).

Not exactly the most understandable explanation, but hopefully this gives you an idea.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2002 :  1:56:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Actually I think it's safe to say that pinch harmonics are reserved for electric guitar, but I had to read up on the technicals. Check this link.

Here are my definitions:

Natural harmonics = lightly place your fretting finger on the string at the 12th fret, but don't press the string down to the fret board. Pluck the string and you get a bell like sound known as a harmonic (a.k.a. chimes in slack key). Also try this at the 5th and 7th fret.

Artificial harmonics = Fully press down a string at the 1st fret. Now you have "arrificially" moved the harmonic from the 12th fret to the 13th fret. With some practice with your picking hand, you can place your index finger over the 13th fret while using your thumb to pluck the string. You can use other fingers but basically you're doing two things at once with your picking hand. Now you should be able to play a chime in any key.

Pinch harmonics = Usually played on an electric guitar while flatpicking. If you pick the string and follow through allowing your thumb to hit the string, you can get a harmonic. Be careful not to dampen the string. This is very common in heavy metal, esp. in solos.

Give it a try.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2002 :  3:53:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Pinch harmonics were possibly discovered by Roy Buchanan back in the 60s. He said he goofed during a solo and made a whiney little note, but when he wanted to recut the track the other guys in the band insisted that he leave it in because they liked it. He then had to go back and figure out how he had created the sound, and once he had done that he made it a part of his style.

On our recent trip to Oahu and Kapono's Ledward was doing artificial harmonics while fretting at the twelfth fret on his old 000-18. He looked like he was really hitting the guitar hard, an up and down motion of his picking hand, and he was missing a few, but when those chimes popped out they were amazing - they sounded like steel guitar chimes.

Which leads to another way to do artificial harmonics. Steelers use the palm of their hand and pick above it, so the meat of the palm touches the string at the half-way point of the vibrating string while the fingers or thumb pluck the string. It takes a little practice but it works very well.

Which leads to an amazing demonstration I saw at a Muriel Anderson workshop. She made a chord, then brushed the strings with her thumb and palm, moving her right hand to roughly match the shape of the chord. The thumb plucked while the palm triggered the harmonic, and she was able to coax out a chord in harmonics. Needless to say I was impressed.

Fran

Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2002 :  7:00:57 PM  Show Profile
I'm impressed with the description of Murial Anderson's chord harmonic. I'm still trying to figure it out.

Here's yet another way to do a harmonic, natural or artificial. Do whatever with your left hand, fret a string or not, then place the edge of your RH thumb tip over the fret/node point and pluck with a RH finger - index, middle, or ring - to sound the harmonic. Lift your thumb away immediately. It's really impressive to pull off a one-handed harmonic over the sound hole, the equivalent to a 5th fret harmonic. On a practical level, it's a handy way to sound a harmonic during tuning when your LH is twisting pegs. Mainly, I use it to impress myself.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000