Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 Slack Key in San Fran 08/03/2002
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2002 :  12:47:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
I've noticed that some folks think of slack key as a solo endeavor, but there's a rich tradition of slack key in a group setting, with different tunings combining for an exciting sound.

The concert advertised below brings together some of the elite of Hawaiian music. George Kuo was a member of The Sons of Hawaii and won the Ki Hoalu Award at the 2002 Na Hoku Hanohano (Hawaiian music) awards. Martin is one of Gabby's musical offspring, and Aaron Mahi is the leader of the Royal Hawaiian Band among many other accomplishments.

This is near the beginning of a tour which will include my teacher, Patrick Landeza, for some of the stops. They'll be in Santa Cruz, Bellingham, Seattle, Portland, and Eugene among other places. Check out http://www.mele.com/ConcertCalendar.cgi and search for Kuo. Also, I understand that they're continuing to pick up gigs along the way so you may want to check back occasionally.

Fran

August 3, 2002 (Saturday)
NLV Productions presents "Ki Ho'alu on the Bay"
Featuring George Kuo, Martin Pahinui, and Aaron Mahi
Cowell Theatre, Fort Mason Center, San Francisco
8:00 pm
Reserved Seating
Ticket Prices: $20.00 & $30.00
Tickets Available through Fort Mason Box Office (415) 345-7575
Information: Wende Stitt (415) 586-1611
A portion of the proceeds will go towards the hospice care of Jazz great Barney Kessel.

[Additional tour dates in CA, WA , OR listed here. -Admin]

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2002 :  11:16:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
The "Ki Hoalu by the Bay" show turned out to be a memorable experience, and quite an educational one as well. It was my first show at the Cowell Theater at Fort Mason in San Francisco, and it was a wonderful venue, with comfortable seating, good sight lines, fine sound, and plenty of parking.

The show was way loose and relaxed. Kuo, Pahinui, and Mahi have been playing together weekly at the Waikiki Marriott and they were pulling tunes out of their bag at will. George did the "hot guitar" parts on his Yairi doubleneck 6/12, Martin sang the falsetto stuff, and Aaron made it solid on the bass, sang backups and lead, and told stories about the songs. We recognized most of the tunes, a lot were Sons of Hawaii standards or slack key showpieces.

It was very enlightening to see George "going for it" when he played his leads and fills. He didn't set any limits on himself, using chordal strums and rakes, bluesy riffs and chicken pickin', Django style pulloff tricks, bass runs that reminded me of Sonny Chillingworth. Aaron was egging him on, too, and Mr. Mahi seems very committed to Hawaiian music. I guess what I'm saying is that the guys who are deep in the middle of doing it don't seem as concerned with being purists as some of us beginners and spectators. It makes a lot of sense when I remember that all Hawaiian music after the chant is a synthesis. These guys made it abundantly clear that the music is still way alive and kicking.

Patrick Landeza did two numbers, and both were high points. He did "Kalae O ka Ena" as a duet with George, then "Wai O Ke Aniani" with everybody. He also got a lot of compliments from the guys for his cooking, since he provided a backstage spread for the musicians.

The only CD on sale was one I had despaired of finding, "Waialea Jammin'" with George and Martin along with Steven Hall and Danny Akaka. This is a two CD set of standards recorded live at a party, and was produced as a benefit for Steven Hall after he suffered a stroke. This is another great example of slack key in a group setting, and one that I'll be soaking up for a while.

Fran

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000