Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Baritone Uke
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Saint
Aloha

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2004 :  05:51:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Saint's Homepage
I'm a beginer and i need some help, I have two ukes ,one soprano and a baritone if I tune the soprano to sound like a regular Uke do I have to change the order of the strings?
Tks. Saint

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2004 :  09:10:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Hi Saint,
The typical soprano/concert/tenor tuning is G-C-E-A, top to bottom, with the G being either high or low. High G seems most common. A standard soprano alternative tuning is the A-D-F#-B, which is a whole step higher and gives you more string tension and sometimes more volume.
The baritone is tuned like a guitar, DGBE.
What are you using on your ukes?
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Saint
Aloha

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2004 :  1:37:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Saint's Homepage
Hi Jesse
When I bought the Baritone I did not know that the tuning was like a guitar, now I would like to change the strings on the Baritone to play as a regular soprano/tenor G-C-E-A., You think it would sound funny ? My baritone now has D-G-B-E. soprano has the regular strings that came with it, by the way I changed the strings (new) and now doesn't sound right, how I get the right order by the string tickness ? they are not marked.
Thanks for your reply. Sergio
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2004 :  2:10:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Aloha Sergio,
You might have a hard time putting a uke tuning onto the baritone because the scale, at around 20", is a lot longer than the tenor, and the strings you find probably won't be long enough. But if you want a high fourth string, you could probably use another nylon string, like the high E, in the fourth course and tune it to high D.
As far as tuning the soprano, the top and bottom (G and A)strings are about the same thickness and probably interchangeable. If one of the two skinniest strings is thicker, make that the fourth (top) one. The thickest string should be third from the bottom (C) and the second thickest should be second from the bottom (E). If the strings don't have enough tension you might want to go up to ADF#B. If you still don't like the strings, try one of the top brands, like Hilo, Aquila Nylgut or Ko'olau Gold.
If you're still having trouble, be aware that ukes, especially cheap ones, are notoriously hard to tune and strings need a while to settle down before they stay in tune.
Good luck.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Saint
Aloha

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2004 :  5:44:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Saint's Homepage
Aloha Jesse,
You're right Jesse, today I whent shoping for strings for the bari and found out that 3 of the strings fits but the A was to short , so I decided to live the bari as is but I tuned to taro and sounds great !

Sergio
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000