Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Taropatch.net Miscellaneous
 Announcements, Feedback, Suggestions
 Ki ho'Alu for beginers
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Saint
Aloha

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2004 :  6:24:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Saint's Homepage
Aloha All , taropatch.net what great site, I'm so glad that I found it and I woud like to make a sugestion to all members to promote the culture and Hawaiian music by helping beguiners like myself to get some tablature of easy songs on the site

Sergio

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2004 :  09:12:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Aloha Sergio, welcome to the TaroPatch! It's a site rule here that we don't share tab unless it's an original song or a song that is in the public domain, in order to avoid copyright issues. If you're a beginner your best bet is to pick up a copy of Ozzie Kotani's book. It's not that expensive and it will help you build up a very nice repertoire of material...most of us started with it. You can find more details here:

http://www.taropatch.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14

Being the holiday season, you CAN find some tablature for Christmas songs done in slack key style here:

http://www.taropatch.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2189

There have been one or two other tabs posted over the years...do a search on the forums for "tablature" and see what turns up.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Saint
Aloha

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2004 :  2:24:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Saint's Homepage
Aloha Craig, thanks for the feed back, I know the copyright issues may be a problem, the reason I sugested it becose I have Keola Beamer book I think is to advance and I dont know the songs by name and the timing on the CD doesn't macth with the book, I may try Ozzie's book as you mentioned. Thanks again
Sergio
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2004 :  3:17:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Hi Sergio,

Glad you like site. And thanks, Craig, for answering this quickly. As Craig said, the Taropatch.net policy as spelled out in the FAQ is:
quote:
Can I share music and/or tabs here? Does Taropatch.net have a policy on copyrighted materials?
Taropatch.net does not allow its members to broadcast offers or requests for illegally copied materials to its community. Although this site supports the perpetuation of slack key guitar and `ukulele traditions in many ways, Taropatch.net must protect itself from the potential legal problems associated with copyright infringement of published materials. We believe there is too much good here to risk losing over intellectual property issues. Moreover, it is important to respect the works of artists and teachers so that they may come and share in the aloha and information exchange here too.

Original works by Taropatch.net members, works in public domain, and/or those used with the necessary written permissions of the original artist/publishers may be posted. All others may not be posted. Thank you for complying with this policy and making this website a friendly, informative and interesting resource.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2004 :  05:19:41 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Sergio!
The folks here at the 'Patch are terrific about helping us new folks. I was very discouraged trying to learn from a Keola book and CD given to me for Christmas last year. I didn't even know what tab meant or where to start. Later I found it listed as an intermediate book, but it doesn't say that anywhere in the book.
And yes, Ozzie's book is very good, especially with all the written explanation, not forthcoming in Keola's book that I have.
Good luck!! But most of all, HAVE FUN!!!!!
auntie n
PS: Tab doesn't show timing...

nancy cook

Edited by - Auntie Nancy on 12/22/2004 05:20:58 AM
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2004 :  08:12:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Actually, tab CAN show timing depending on how it's written. The easiest way to show it is in the spacing of the notes. The space between two quarter notes is twice as much as the space between two eight notes, for example. Some tab also shows timing with stems dropping down from the fret numbers, just like note stems in regular sheet music. Some tab has both. It all depends on the person who wrote the tab.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2004 :  07:44:02 AM  Show Profile
Aloha e Sergio,

Welcome to Taropatch.net -- e komo mai!

I just wanted to chime in on your question about beginning books. You might like to check out Ron Loo's instructional books and tapes. (Raymond mentioned them to you in your post about Taro Patch books.) I used Ron Loo's books when I first began playing. They are excellent in that the tab is easy to follow, and each song is accompanied by a tape. For most of the songs (books 1 and 2 as I recall) Ron walks you through the piece measure-by-measure on the tape, and then plays it all the way thru for you. I found that very good for me as a beginner, he is very encouraging and patient. In addition, in the course of his arrangements, I learned and absorbed some very traditional and typical vamps that have served me well in my playing ever since.

Also, regarding the timing issue, Ron frequently writes the number of the beat below the tabbed measure, marking out, for example: 1 2 3+a 4, to correspond with the time to pluck the note.

Look in the Taropatch site's section for a more detailed description of Ron's books and tapes and some postings on where to get them: http://www.taropatch.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=44

And as Auntie Nancy says, have fun!

aloha and Mele Kalikimaka,
Sarah

Go to Top of Page

Saint
Aloha

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2004 :  4:27:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Saint's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Auntie Nancy

Aloha Sergio!
The folks here at the 'Patch are terrific about helping us new folks. I was very discouraged trying to learn from a Keola book and CD given to me for Christmas last year. I didn't even know what tab meant or where to start. Later I found it listed as an intermediate book, but it doesn't say that anywhere in the book.
And yes, Ozzie's book is very good, especially with all the written explanation, not forthcoming in Keola's book that I have.
Good luck!! But most of all, HAVE FUN!!!!!
auntie n
PS: Tab doesn't show timing...

Aloha , Auntie Nancy I got Keola's book and CD and I was just discouraged as you, took me 30 days to learn one song"Kahuli Aku" trying 4 to 5 hrs a day others songs I could not macth with the cd ,I just order Ozzie's book I hope is for beginner..Mahalo Sergio
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2004 :  8:45:12 PM  Show Profile
Just an aside --
My very first song I ever learned on guitar, much less slack key, was from Keola's video. Took almost 3 months to get a very pitiful version. That's about when I ran into Ozzie who explained that Keola's tape was not exactly for absolute beginners. Understatement.
Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2004 :  9:18:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
Welcome Sergio to Taropatch. Along with Ozzie's book, there are several nice DVD's and tapes out there that will help you in a visual, as opposed to literal and audio manner (my personal preference). You can try Patrick Landeza's and Keoki Kahumoku's DVD for beginning slack key. I learned a lot and enjoyed both because they were designed for beginners like myself and the DVD format lets you repeat and slow down the disc. They also have a split screen format so that one can see both left and right hand action. They still remain my personal favorites. Also, from our own Raymond Stovitch (RJS), there is his video, "Slack Key Your Own Way," which is intended for folks who have mastered Ozzie's book. All good stuff! You might want to browse on the "Live Lessons" or the "Video" section of this site. Lots of wonderful resources there! Good luck!

Maggie
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000