Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Pot-Scrubbers
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bwop
Lokahi

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2004 :  08:22:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bwop's Homepage
Aloha kakou!
I have been saddled with the ominous kuleana of creating "The Pot Scrubber", ever since that first Christmas, maybe fifteen years ago, when I innocently gave Melinda a pot scrubber as a present. Her acrid and oh-so-sarcastic response is what inspired the tradition.
Ever since, the annual giving of "The Pot Scrubber" has continually pushed the bounds of artistic sensibility and reasonable credulity. There was one stuck in the middle of a protea in a tropical flower arrangement delivered by a singing gorilla. The one that was hinged and canned and came with amazing operating instructions. The "Chia Scrub". The "Eel Scrub" Melinda found in the reef on Kauai. She got the "Ki Ho'alu Scrub" at the Maui Slack Key Festival two years ago (the Scrub doesn't particularily have to come on Christmas anymore), strung like a guitar and signed by all the slack key masters (and these guys didn't even blink when I asked them to sign my Pot Scrubber). My favorite to date had been the one encased with artificial flowers, sporting multi-colored fiber optics throughout the bristles that played "Close To You". Few people could wrap their minds around that one.
But I figgah you all would be appreciative of this year's offering. It is:

Bwop

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2004 :  10:26:41 AM  Show Profile
Bwop, I looooooove crazoid love stuff like this. Now, someone might say, "Just think what could be done about (place favorite cosmic cause here) if only all that inventiveness could be applied to it." But, not me...this is what life is all about.

More, more!

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2004 :  10:44:16 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Bwop,
I'm sure these scrubbers would come in very handy if you were living in Elizabeth, NJ. ha ha!
Not quite sure how to respond to your Hula Scrubber, makes me wonder what a Kane version would look like. "Eh brudda wot's under da palekoki?"
Anyway's, you can check with Buffalo Brothers in Carlsbad about a cut-away Martin w/ electronics. I believe they may have some in stock.

Buffalo Brother's
4901 El Camino Real
Carlsbad, Ca. 92008

-slkho
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2004 :  4:12:39 PM  Show Profile
Bwop,

The snowflakes look good on you picture.

Any chance of those ending up on EBay. Way cool. What a great tradition

Dave
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2004 :  6:26:45 PM  Show Profile
Kinky, but very interesting.
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2004 :  9:00:40 PM  Show Profile
Bwop, you are so dingy! If I didn't know you as well as I do, I might say you're some kind of nut! So why is it that during all the times I've been a guest at your house I've never even seen one of these? Are you hiding them? Next time, how about a display of them?
Hugs, Julie
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2004 :  9:47:25 PM  Show Profile
Or maybe they really only exist in the interstices of Bwop's grey matter.
Go to Top of Page

Bwop
Lokahi

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2004 :  7:57:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bwop's Homepage
Again with the aloha,
Glad you like it, Reid. Julie, if you don't possitively know I'm a certifiable wacko, then who is?? (By the way, you just don't know where to look-- like next to the Green Eggs and Spam, or the adulterated street signs poster, or the hanging slippahs). My house is full of "stop-the-mind-art" And, Raymond, the following is far more than "interstices". Way more....

Bwop
Go to Top of Page

Bwop
Lokahi

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2004 :  7:59:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bwop's Homepage
And furthermore,

'Nuf said??

Bwop
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2004 :  8:15:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
I'm totally impressed by the pure ingenuity and ability to design and execute. And frankly, I love the way this tradition started. Sounds like something I might have done myself. Heck, what would have happened had you given Melinda a diamond necklace? Where would you have gone from there? Wish I could pick a favorite, but I really can't!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2004 :  10:09:10 PM  Show Profile
I particullary like the "Other Products" section of the CHia scrub instructions.
Stravinsky used to say that creativity needed some sense of limitation for it to blossoms into its fullest manifestations. Little did he know how prophetic his statement would be!
You might want to contact the folks at The Mystery Spot about openning a "museum" there -- I can see this becoming a huge rage with the Japanese tourists and, who knows, maybe even a source of unheard of wealth.
Thanks for posting them
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000