Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Prayers and donations to tsunami victims...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2004 :  10:09:32 PM  Show Profile
We are struggling with the tragic earthquake and devestating tsunami in Southeast Asia.
It seems money given to good, efficient organizations is one first step.
There are so many, and I am not the expert...
but I know among the many worthy charities, one of our favorites is
Doctors without Borders

and there are MANY OTHERS who are prudent and do great work.

Also, urge our government in Washington to give more...MUCH MORE than the 35 million first mentioned...

If others have favorite charities that will be involved, please share those, if it's ok Andy...?

We are praying for all the people struggling through this terrible loss and difficult aftermath.

Gordon and Karen

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2004 :  03:38:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by gordonrburt

Also, urge our government in Washington to give more...MUCH MORE than the 35 million first mentioned...

If others have favorite charities that will be involved, please share those, if it's ok Andy...?
Absolutely, I am all for it. We too are trying to figure out how/where to make donations.

Like 9/11, the impact of this tragedy is difficult to fathom. Even harder to swallow that the loss of human life may be 20 times that of 9/11.

I'm with you Gordon. At least Pfizer's news yesterday was positive.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

islandboo
Lokahi

USA
237 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2004 :  04:57:01 AM  Show Profile
It is truly incomprehensible - my brain cannot actually process the magnitude of destruction and loss. Google has a webpage set up with links for various relief organizations at http://www.google.com/tsunami_relief.html and Charity Watch has a list of the highest rated organizations based on the portion of funds that actually go to providing relief at http://www.charitywatch.org/hottopics/tsunami_asia.html

Aloha kakou

Debbie
Go to Top of Page

Bwop
Lokahi

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2004 :  10:45:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bwop's Homepage
Aue! Such a tragedy! My heart is with all those who have died, and all those left behind. Thank you, previous posters, for concrete info on helpful means. Shame on network news programs ("... three AMERICANS may be dead", "...RESORTS are closed"). We can all pray for those affected, and let it open your heart to the bittersweet recognitions of how tenuous our gift of a lifetime is. Perhaps we sould make the most of it.

Bwop
Go to Top of Page

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2005 :  09:45:09 AM  Show Profile
I used this link to find out where to send money:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,142750,00.html

Personally, I went with www.redcross.org but there are many more.
Good luck to you!

Aloha, Mike

Edited by - slackkeymike on 01/04/2005 7:19:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2005 :  3:06:02 PM  Show Profile
I went with Catholic Relief Services for a couple of reasons
- I know some folks in the organization so I know the quality of work
- Their overhead charge on this one will be 0
- They do good work without "preaching" any kind of message other than "we care."
Go to Top of Page

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2005 :  5:02:04 PM  Show Profile
I do not know why I am telling you all this...but on another forum that I follow, someone suggested that giving in the time of crisis is hypocritical. Well, I do not know about you, but I give all the time...just part of my way of looking at things...however, if someone gives, only in time of crisis, I respect that! In fact if some one does not give, it matters none to me, nor does it change my opinion of them in the least. However, if someone gives, that does change my opinion of them...regardless of when and how they give.

Thank God for all the givers.

Mike

Aloha, Mike
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2005 :  6:11:02 PM  Show Profile
Tell somebody that's doesn't have food and water that you're not going to help him/her because you don't want to appear to be a hypocrite.
I'm glad I'm not on that forum, 'cause I would blow my decorum.
Cheap----- can find tons of ways to justify themselves
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2005 :  8:41:43 PM  Show Profile
Giving at a time of crisis is crucial! Whoever said that it was hypocritical has no heart, nor has that person ever lived in an underdeveloped country. Having lived in Indonesia for some time (my father was a professor at the University in Bandung) and having visited Sri Lanka, I have severe problems with anyone living in the United States' lap of luxury not willing to give at this time of extreme need. What baloney.

After some horrible experiences with the Red Cross during the Loma Prieta earthquake, we will probably go with Doctors without Borders.

Just for thought, have you watched the reports that show the women in those long saris? Try swimming in one of those when the water grabs you. Also, for those having difficulty imagining the living conditions, think of shantys and cardboard boxes side by side, next to the open sewer ditch. Think of dirt roads that are bad under the best conditions. The death toll in Indonesia will be so awfully high, we'll never really know the whole miserable story.... Sigh.

Thank God for those human beings who care enough to give of themselves and their wealth.

Julie
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2005 :  11:33:53 PM  Show Profile
The areas that have suffered tend to be, like a great portion of our world, to be people who live on the barest essentials...or less.
Great need has been there for a long time...but now it's extreme and critical.

Hopefully some greater awareness and desire to serve something outside of our own egocentric interests might emerge...and carry on past the immediate crisis.

Especially if we let our voices and hearts be heard.

It's time for EXTRA gifts and prayers...and walking our talk.

Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2005 :  8:37:42 PM  Show Profile
A quick note...
Today on NPR it was mentioned that Doctors without Borders does not want any more funds specifically for the current Southeast Tsunami--a little surprised...

but they're still a favorite, and I'm sure it's a temporary thing.
Other charities have NOT indicated a need to stop.
so I guess we'll head another direction with gifts and activism...

Also, I encourage all to contact Congressional reps to encourage Humanitarian causes as "hip" and as an agenda the world will actually agree upon, and does more good than many of our more political antics.

More Humanitarian acts need to be pursued and funded with ongoing fervor--not just at times of extreme need and publicity.

However, I do feel we might have been a little hard on the person who advised that gifts were tainted if we give at times of disaster...I understand the premise and agree it's good to give on a regular basis.
On the other hand, I feel "events" awaken us to the need to help others---something a few of us often forget in our daily "spin".

Sometimes I feel like I create a world that spins and spins--like Van Gogh's "Starry, Starry Night"--feeling quite important, but which is mostly inconsequential...(except when we help and share with one another)!

G
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2005 :  06:10:26 AM  Show Profile
Like Julie, the Red Cross has left a sour taste in my mouth on more than one occasion, Oakland Army Induction Centar, Loma Prieta, Viet Nam, Mexico, Fall Creek (Ben Lomond). The only organization that has dealt in crisis with great dignity, that I've personally witnessed is the Salvation Army. It's another one to consider.

That said, let's play some music and see if we can't help these folks in need.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2005 :  8:32:26 PM  Show Profile
Oh, I agree with that. The Salvation Army has been simply awsome over the years. I guess, though, I do not tend to think of them as an international aid org...just local to USA. Am I confused as to there reach?

I love the SA. I like seeing those people out at Christmas, ringing the bells to fill the pot. Ticked me off when Target would not let them do it anymore. I like it because it gives me an opportunity to teach my kids something about giving!

Mike

Aloha, Mike
Go to Top of Page

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2005 :  6:35:42 PM  Show Profile
Just one more note...just heard that the SA had larger reciepts this year than last...most likely due to the publicity and Wal-Mart's response (donation matching).

Whilst I commend Wal-Mart for this... cannot help thinking it is a marketing strategy...somewhat cynical I think. All though the SA was a winner this year, I fear that next year will be tougher as I am certain that the forces that caused Target to bow will now focus on WM.

Aloha, Mike
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2005 :  8:48:58 PM  Show Profile
I've had some contact with the Salvation Army over the years - fine bunch of folks who do a great job of serving people without jamming religion down their throats. (My first choice is still Catholic relief services 'cause they've got excellent networking in area, but SA is also very worthwhile and if CRS wasn't in the picture, SA would get our money.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000