Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Uncle and Auntie
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2005 :  7:40:25 PM  Show Profile
Would someone be willing to explain to me the use of "Uncle" and "Auntie"?

Aloha, Mike

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2005 :  8:47:40 PM  Show Profile
aloha mike!
when I first went to Hawai'i, I was introduced to the keiki (kids) as auntie nancy. Everyone is related to everyone somehow - calabash cousins. If not related by blood, then by friendship and warmth. So we all have big Ohana (family) And when speaking with an older person it is a sign of respect and kindness. And it's much easier than remembering everyone's name. We have a very big ohana - and if you part of the family or friends of family or just nice, you are welcome to come stay, come have kau kau, share the freshly caught fish.
when we see each other, we call each other auntie mary, and auntie bea and auntie nancy even though now we're all the same generation. And the keiki don't get confused...
I hope Kevin will give you a more concise answer...
auntie -

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2005 :  8:53:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
This was very confusing to me as a child. I didn't know who the heck I was related to.
I later learned that it is a term of respect for an older adult, or someone much older than yourself, in Hawaiian society. It's informal yet respectful. If you are addressing someone of similar age or who is under the age of 50 or so, you might say "brother", or "bruddah" if you're local, or "cuz", short for cousin. Indian tribes here in the Northwest also use "uncle" and "auntie" at informal gatherings.
Because of the practice of unofficial, informal adoption into another family, people take on these unofficial titles without regard to their place in a geneological chart. Technical, church-recognized relationships aren't emphasized as much as the overall spirit of 'ohana (family) in Hawaii.
Consequently, I can't figure out my own family tree with any certainty.
I went searching for family on Maui this summer and found that I'm only about five to seven generations from finding a common family member with just about any Hawaiian I met there. I guess that's where "cuz" came from.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2005 :  04:39:19 AM  Show Profile
These terms bothered me as a malihini, because they were evocative (for me)of plantation life in the South. You know, Aunt Jemima, Uncle Ben, kind of derogatory terms for chattel. But, as I learned more, I found out that it is standard practice in China and an honorific for an older adult and a convenience, as has been said, for dealing with lots of people in a household or extended family. So, my *guess* is that it was established with the importation of Chinese plantation workers, and that it probably *was* a convenience for na luna (overseers) on the sugar plantations.

One funny thing happened a long time ago - years. Kevin Brown invited Sarah and me to the clebration of the opening of Mele `Ukulele in Wailuku. After we got through the pule and went into the back room where playing and eating and drinking started, there were more people than chairs. So Kevin whispers to Ikaika (then about 14 - Jeez) looking at Sarah, "Get Auntie a chair." Sarah had just hit about 40 (maybe less) then and neither of us thought of her as an Auntie. We held in our laughter, but never forgot it. Take a look at Sarah's pic (it is only a year or 2 old) in her profile and tell me if she looks like an auntie :-) But, Kevin was being respectful and kind, as he always is.

...Reid

Go to Top of Page

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2005 :  05:01:55 AM  Show Profile
That sounds a little like the use of Mr. Mike or Ms. Belinda (instead of last names) that you hear in the southern US. Difference is, though, only children use it. We all (especially in the South) use Sir and Ma'am, regardless of our age, when referring to people who are either older than us, or simply deserving of our respect. I can't think of any term like Auntie or Uncle that we all share. Now, for good friends of the family that we see a lot, our kids might call them Aunt or Uncle so & so.

Mike

Aloha, Mike
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2005 :  05:46:33 AM  Show Profile
My heritage includes Mexican -- which was the strongest influence in my growing-up years (lots and lots of relatives in Mexico, as well as those who had migrated to the States).

I was raised to demonstrate my respect for my elders by referring to all adults as either Tia (Auntie) or Tio (Uncle)...even those without grey hair. Like hapakid, I didn't know who was blood-relative until waaaaaaaaay later in my life.

It's funny for me now, living in the smallish-community of north shore Kaua`i. Anyone who knows me primarily because of my radio show or website, calls me "Auntie". Anyone who knows me because of my close connection to extended local families, calls me "Grandma". Heck, I'll answer to anything!

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2005 :  12:41:56 PM  Show Profile
I grew up Polish-American -- we kids called all of mom and dad's friend "Auntie or uncle" -- also the "older" folks in the neighborhood -- you know - the 40 year olds.
Go to Top of Page

ohanabrown
Lokahi

281 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2005 :  3:24:47 PM  Show Profile
I was wondering when this subject was going to be on taropatch. :) Next to pigeon english, this is the most curious topic to talk about. Everyone just about hit the nail on the head, It has a lot to do with respecting others.

It's nice to know that other cultures also use the same phrase for the same reason.

Growing up in the islands you learn this phrase from the time you can walk and talk. And know matter what island you go, your an "uncle or aunty" because, that is the way of life here and everyone accepts it.

Yes it is also true the age matters, from what age? there is nothing written down as to what age you can be called aunty and uncle, but we all know for sure it's not in your teens.

Back in the day's, haa,haa, ( sounds like kalo man.) back then almost everyone worked for the plantation or the pineapple field, everyone struggled unless you were the "luna". ( supervisor.) Living in camps you learn to watch out for each other share with each other and live the way that you were brought up. Because everyone was like family, and to show respect, not knowing there names, you automatically call them uncle, or aunty.

As the generations have gone by, today, uncle and aunty is stilled used among the youths of hawaii. If you go somewhere in the islands and where ever it maybe, molokai, oahu, kauai, not knowing the people there, if you see someone be prepared to be called uncle or aunty, and please don't be offended, there just trying to show you respect.

With all the challenges the youths have in the islands today, it's good to know there carrying on a tradtion that will be here for generations to come.

I was first called uncle,( and not by my immediate family, but by someone else.) when i was in my 30's, at 51 it sounds much better!

Me Ke Aloha
Kevin... Reid i did'nt know you were watching.( ikaika and i.)

Kevin K. Brown
Go to Top of Page

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2005 :  5:56:31 PM  Show Profile
Well, at 43, I guess I would qualify as "Uncle" Mike...but you can call me Mike!

Thanks for the explanations. I was a little nervous that I might be stepping on something sensitive. I cannot wait to go back and get one of those coconuts where they poke a hole in it and stick a straw in it and you drink the milk. Sure, its a bit touristy, but I still love it!

Aloha, Mike
Go to Top of Page

rossasaurus
Lokahi

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2005 :  7:20:08 PM  Show Profile  Send rossasaurus a Yahoo! Message
Hey, I was surprised this never came up yet too!

What i like about da Auntie/Uncle thing, and hawai`ian culture, is that it's inclusive, not exclusive. It's another way to include others into your ohana, not to mark them as different or separate, even if they're not your 'blood' relatives.

I've thought about how my mom's family worked so differently, and it caused confusion to me to try and figure out WHO that person was to me; is she my second cousin, or my dads, nephews sisters aunt or what! Auntie or Uncle simplifies all that and just plain includes everybody! I love it for that.

Oh, i got a question too. How careful you gotta be when somebody's a little older than you? I guess you default to cousin to be safe, yeah

Ross

Edited by - rossasaurus on 01/05/2005 7:22:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2005 :  7:21:39 PM  Show Profile
Mike,

You might want to get an Hawaiian dictionary. "Poke a hole" might mean something entirely different to a hawaiian. I do like my poke, but not too hole.

At 43 you can call me Uncle, but I prefer Dave

Me ke aloha

I was never so honored as when John and Hope Keawe had there grandchildren refer to Bev and me as Auntie and Uncle.

Edited by - `Ilio Nui on 01/05/2005 7:26:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2005 :  03:38:24 AM  Show Profile
Aloha e Kevin,

You know that Sarah and I *always* watch, and listen to, you closely. You and Uncle Sol changed our lives, so it is very important for us to pay careful attention to you.

me ke aloha pumehana,

Reid \m/

Edited by - Reid on 01/06/2005 03:40:02 AM
Go to Top of Page

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2005 :  4:10:39 PM  Show Profile
OK! One more thing. I am only focusing on the prominent things...I will get a dictionary and language book. Personally, I can listen to a Hawaiian song simply for the words, never mind the melody. It is a beautiful (sounding) language. Why the "e" between Aloha and someone's name... As in Aloha e Mike ?

Thanks Still Waiting for Gordon's answer...

Edit: Ooops! I am referring to a thread in "Talk Story" forum!!

Aloha, Mike

Edited by - slackkeymike on 01/06/2005 8:27:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2005 :  05:54:30 AM  Show Profile
Aloha e Mike,

The e is an untranslated particle indicating that you are addressing someone. As Kaliko Beamer Trapp explained it so clearly, so many Hawaiian names are also names of things in the environment, so this helps distinguish your meaning. Hawaiian has other untranslatable particles, so this phenomenon is not unique.

So whenever you are addressing someone, you precede their name with an e. Even if you are saying, "People", you say, "E ka po'e". It doesn't apply to pronouns, though, except in a particular instance I won't get into here.

So that's why you see me writing "Aloha e SoandSo" all the time

aloha.
Sarah

Go to Top of Page

Puna
Lokahi

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2005 :  08:12:38 AM  Show Profile
Sarah

Isn't 'people' plural, so wouldn't it be "E na po'e"?

Puna

Puna

Edited by - Puna on 01/07/2005 1:52:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bwop
Lokahi

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2005 :  1:44:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bwop's Homepage
Nope

Bwop
Go to Top of Page