Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Uncle and Auntie
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Puna
Lokahi

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2005 :  1:51:53 PM  Show Profile
Aloha e, Bwop.

Mahalo for your reply. I checked a few other resources (including Kaliko's on-line material). You're right, I'm wrong.

Puna

Puna
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2005 :  03:38:57 AM  Show Profile
Aloha mai e Puna,

Ka po'e is what you might call a plural noun. It refers to a group. Na po'e would refer to more than one group. It's a lot like "people" vs. "peoples" in English. So when you say na po'e, you are talking about various peoples, like... various American Indian tribes, or various nationalities.

Ka po'e can be used in a way we don't generally use "people" in English. For instance, ka po'e keiki is a way to express the concept of children as a group or class. There is also a story about Maui's attempts to obtain fire from some very clever 'alae birds who knew the secret, and the said group of birds is referred to at one point as ka po'e manu.

Oops. I just saw you'd found your answer - sorry.

aloha,
Sarah

Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2005 :  8:33:32 PM  Show Profile
Gaaaah! I better pop Kaliko's Hawaiian language CD's into my Cd player, I need to keep up with this olele stuff!

As for the Aunties and Uncles, I grew up in a Dutch contingency on the island of Java, and we were a somewhat select and therefore isolated population of Dutch citizens, and the use of Auntie and Uncle allowed the children to use someone's first name, as in Auntie Della, which was a lot more personal than Mrs. Swart, and it was inclusive. We knew the adult's first name, but in that strict culture, we would never be allowed to use it except for the familiar "Auntie" or "Uncle". We did know, however, that we were somehow related, whether by blood or by culture. In an increasingly hostile environment, this was very important to us children.

I really enjoy the use of these endearing and respectful terms.
Julie

Go to Top of Page

Bwop
Lokahi

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2005 :  9:13:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bwop's Homepage
Aloha,
E kala mai, e Puna, I didn't mean to sound terse. And bless you, Sarah, for your comprehensive and to da point reply.
So, Julie, why is it that in the culture I was straddled with growing up, you had to really hurt somebody before you made them cry "Uncle!".

Bwop
Go to Top of Page

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2005 :  6:29:45 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Sarah

Aloha e Mike,
... Even if you are saying, "People", you say, "E ka po'e". It doesn't apply to pronouns, though, except in a particular instance I won't get into here.

So that's why you see me writing "Aloha e SoandSo" all the time

aloha.
Sarah

Sarah,

Mahelo, and I have paused here several times, perhaps I should leave "inuendo" alone...but I just cannot!! BTW, just heard about a new book (NPR.org) called "Inuendo and out the Other"...got to find it and buy it!!

Peace!

Aloha, Mike
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2005 :  8:59:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Several years ago, I once called one of my Hawaiian aunties by her first name without using "auntie". She told my grandma and my mom and it eventually got back to me that I should never do that again. Ever.
Jesse Tinsley

Edited by - hapakid on 01/10/2005 2:58:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2005 :  11:20:50 PM  Show Profile
aloha e Jesse,
By the way, thanks for the workshop hype - can't wait!
But did you did you find out why no use anme? Without thinking, that is what we do, but with each other - same generation, we use each other's names... and way more auntie than uncle. I didn't grow up with the custom, but it's been with me about 2/3 my life.
By the way, in the Philipines, they also use the translations of auntie and uncle about the same as in Hawai'i, so that is something that came with them around the turn of the 20th century.
auntie -

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2005 :  10:11:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
I think if an island auntie is more than 15-20 years older than yourself, it's rude to call that person by just her first name, whether related or not and no matter what your age is. It's similar on the mainland where we tend to use Mrs. or ma'am when speaking with older women. I just figured since I was 35 years old, I could call an elder by the first name only. Oooooops. I think it becomes even more important if you don't know the person or know her well. It demonstrates respect.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2005 :  12:30:40 PM  Show Profile
Aloha e Jesse -
Did you maybe mean without using auntie?
That makes my confusion go away...
thanks -
auntie nancy

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2005 :  3:31:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
E kala mai! Yes, Auntie, you're right. I mistyped! I fixed it in case others read this thread and wonder if I'm feeble.
My online time is often late at night, after the kids are in bed. I just hope I don't make too many more mistakes....
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2005 :  07:10:32 AM  Show Profile
You're gonna make mistakes in life Jesse. It's what you do to fix them that counts the most. My hapa kid is grown, gone and married and I'm retired; still have many opportunities for mistakes. And I think part of aloha is that we are gentle in holding ourselves and others accountable.

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2005 :  4:00:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Well, as usual, my question has been answered fully! You guys are great! Of course, my question was asked in another topic just yesterday, but yours are the replies I was hoping to hear.
Auntie Nancy, I like what you write:)

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000