Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Introduce Yourself
 Aloha from Alabama!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2005 :  5:49:10 PM  Show Profile
Hi all. My name is Mike and I live in/near Huntsville, Alabama. This is the place where the Saturn rockets were built for the Apollo Moon Landing project. Today, it is a much more diverse location, still heavy in space research (Nasa Marshall Space Center), Redstone Aresenal (army ground and aviation research) amd so on. The metro population is around 400,000 and we are about 1.5 hours south of Nashville, TN and 3 hours west of Atlanta.

Of course, I am interested to know if there are any slack key people or organizations here in huntsville.

My first exposure to slack key came several years ago on my first trip to Hawaii (Kauaui) and more on trips after that. Ray Kane grabbed my soul in a way I did not know could be done. Also am a BIG fan of Izreal K. (brother IZ...never could remember how to spell his last name!!)

Anyways, I am looking forward to learning more slack key. Just bought some lesson books frm Keola Beamer and Mark Hanson.

Thank you!

Aloha, Mike

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2005 :  7:16:08 PM  Show Profile
Aloha, Mike and welcome.
Yeah, Ray is the man!

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2005 :  9:03:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Aloha e Mike! E komo mai!
Hawaiian music certainly is habit-forming. Welcome to our own little AA group of slack key and uke addicts!
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2005 :  9:08:51 PM  Show Profile
Thanks! Looking forward to getting to know you guys.

OK, help here. What does "e komo mai" mean?

Mike

Aloha, Mike
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2005 :  06:51:50 AM  Show Profile
Mike,

"E Como Mai" the Hawaiian way of saying "Welcome". If you have a Borders Books in Huntsville, They usually have a good Hawaiiana section and you might be able to pick up a small Hawaiian Dictionary. Very few of us have an extensive hawaiian language background, except for Sarah, who is quite amazing. Borders is also a good place for music.

A hui hou,

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2005 :  09:28:08 AM  Show Profile
Welcome to the 'patch Mike -
see if you can get ahold of Mike Kalua - Bradda K. He is looking for folks in a 3-state area down there. Are you in aerospace? I was.
Also, it's easy to get in and out of Huntspatch so maybe get a ticket and come out for a workshop one of these days.
Have fun!!
auntie

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2005 :  10:12:21 AM  Show Profile
Aloha e Mike,

I remember those Saturn's. Used to launch them out at the Cape
when I was in College. Launched Apollo 14, 15 and 16. They were
quite impressive, especially at night. The Shuttle Launch is small
beans compared to the Saturn Five. Werner and those folks in
Huntsville built a good machine. Never had a failure of a Saturn
five, even in testing. Still the most powerfull machines ever
built by Mankind, more horsepower that even the largest Dam. It
was an experience of a lifetime.

I was just beginning to learn finglestyle Guitar at the time,
which eventually led to learning some Kihoalu.

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 01/02/2005 10:13:36 AM
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2005 :  6:04:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by `Ilio Nui

If you have a Borders Books in Huntsville, They usually have a good Hawaiiana section and you might be able to pick up a small Hawaiian Dictionary....
Or there is even an online dictionary, a really great resource, at http://ulukau.olelo.hawaii.edu/english.php

I frequently do a quick lookup there when I don't feel like running to the bookshelf.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2005 :  12:48:11 AM  Show Profile
Huntspatch? Thats funny! I have not heard that one in years. This place has grown quite a bit over the last 10 years. I will try to find Mike Kalua. Thanks!!

Aloha, Mike
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2005 :  05:00:38 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Mike, welcome to the TP!!
I'm a big fan of the old Apollo program, wished we never stopped at 17. :-(
Glad to know slack key will be represented in Alabama, talk about one small step, a giant leap for slack key.... ( i can't get that dueling banjo music out of my head. ha.)
Let us know when you come to California, (y' know, the other Hawaii) and we can jam.
Aloha,
-slkho
Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2005 :  06:33:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
Dear Mike:

Aloha and welcome to the Taropatch Ohana! This is the only place I know where you can meet some fantastic folks, learn, and share so much without leaving your computer terminal! Huntsville sounds a lot like Eugene,OR, but at least we get some wonderful slack key music coming through here once in a while. Maybe you can start your own SK movement and get something going over there, eh?

Yup, it only takes a few bars of a mele or an unforgettable performance of a musician playing slack key to become hooked. It's the only kind of music that makes me cry because it's so beautiful and rich. There's lots of instructional resources and opportunities to learn now, thanks to many dedicated musicians and individuals who want to perpetuate this tradition of music. This website is, hands down, your best source to find whatever you need to at least get you started on the road to playing.

Again, E Como Mai and good luck with your adventure in the slack key world!

Maggie
Go to Top of Page

Bill Neubauer
Aloha

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2005 :  5:19:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Neubauer's Homepage
Welcome, Mike. Thanks for asking what "E Como Mai" means. Now I know too. I'm thankful when I can get an audience here in Buffalo (you know, the other "other Hawaii") to repeat "Mahalo" back to me. I don't believe I've met Maggie, but she's right - Kihoalu is about the only music that makes me feel like crying sometimes; happened when I first heard it 9 years ago, and still happens. So welcome to the "patch"!

Bill

Kika Pila
Go to Top of Page

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2005 :  1:22:12 PM  Show Profile
Bill,

I grew up (till age 13) in and around Buffalo (Corfu, Pavillion, Akron). Small world.

Aloha, Mike
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2005 :  2:43:22 PM  Show Profile
Aloha mai e Mike,

E komo mai! (With a k. Now you know wot dat means!)

I think if I tell you what IZ's last name means it will help you remember it. His last name is Kamakawiwo'ole, which if you break it down, is, literally,

Ka - maka - wiwo - 'ole

The - eye - fear - without

Da Fearless Eye!

Cool, yeah?

Aloha,
Sarah
Go to Top of Page

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2005 :  7:10:19 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the meaning of Brother Iz's last name. There are not that many performers that I wish I had had the chance to see (when I had the chance). Brother Iz is one. I would like to to see Ray Kane, but my guess is that he does not tour anymore.

Aloha, Mike
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2005 :  9:01:26 PM  Show Profile
Hey Mike,
I lived in Alabama in the late 70's and will be back for a musical reunion in Birmingham in Aug. 2006! So if ya don't mind waiting...
Gosh it was fun down there in those days...
Send Kudzu and warmth...it's below zero tonight in Denver.

Seriously, I believe there's some slack activity in Nashville...
and you might ask at "Fretted Instruments" in Homewood (outskirts of Birmingham)...
Herb or Rick were still there last visit in 02.
While they lean toward more Bluegrass, Irish and folk styles, there's others, and ya never know what's under the Kudzu--if you ask around!
Tell em Gordon, the statue-of- liberty fiddler sent you.

Ya'll come back now, ya hear.

Hey Mike, what's the first thing ya know?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000