Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Tunings
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2005 :  6:20:14 PM  Show Profile
I suspect that this is an often asked question...so sorry in advance. I am new here, and new to playing slack key. I am, however, not new to slack key having discovered it back in the late 90's on my first visit to Hawaii. Ray Kane...need I say anymore?

Is there a section just for tunings? What is the Taro Patch tuning...in fact a little history on the naming of the tunings would be greatly appreciated!! Hope I am not going to far in asking for such information.

Aloha, Mike

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2005 :  6:56:28 PM  Show Profile
Welcome.
Lots of stuff in the archives -- and don't forget to check out the Dancing Cat website
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2005 :  6:57:17 PM  Show Profile
Mike,

A good place to start you research is Dancing Cat. They have lots of wonderful history. Try this one to start http://www.dancingcat.com/skbook4a-tuningchart.shtml After you've gone through all those, relax and get comfortable with Taro Patch and slowly ease into others. Most of us only play a few anyway.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2005 :  7:01:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Hi Mike,

No need for apologies. Welcome to the patch where, I think, no question too dumb or too often repeated. If it's been discussed before, someone who's been here longer can point you to an old post. No worries.

(Hey, RJS beat to to the reply as I'm typing.)

For some tuning info see http://www.taropatch.net/tunings.htm

Also check out the tuning applet.

Taro patch tuning is DGDGBD (from largest string to smallest). I do not know if there is much rhyme or reason to the name of tunings.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2005 :  9:04:35 PM  Show Profile
Thanks all. Did I miss a button or hot link that would have taken me to the tunings link?

Thanks for the warm welcome. I belong to several other boards (some tecnical, some not). It seems the more technical the more likely one is to run into someone who loves to "stuff" newbies. Never understood that...this is all about community. Can't make friends that way.

OK, here is a question. Does anybody know why the multitude of tunings came into being? I have heard that many are secretive about this subject.

Thanks a bunch.

Aloha, Mike
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2005 :  08:15:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Different tunings provide convenient access to different keys, for different vocal ranges and different melodies. Different tunings give different open string resonance. Different tunings facilitate different licks and tricks and melodic motifs.

As I understand it, part of the Hawaiian aesthetic is to have a distinctive style, both for yourself and for your ohana (extended family). One way to accomplish this is to find a unique tuning and exploit it.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Stringbreaker
Akahai

USA
62 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2005 :  12:34:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Stringbreaker's Homepage
Being that I am a total nut for tunings, I thought I would put my two cents in. One thing I have noticed is that whatever note a string is tuned to I tend to use as a springboard for the melodies and licks I like to play. The character of my music is influenced by where the open strings are so much that even playing the same song in a different tuning gives it a totally different feel. Also, I have noticed an effect that when I am playing on two or three of the strings, the open strings I am not using will start to sound by themselves and add color to the overall piece. Further, by slacking the strings, they are less tense and easier to fret. Working less hard can make the music flow easier. Even just tuning every string down a whole step and capoing back up to pitch leaves the strings looser and can make it easier to play. Not to mention the effect of having the frets a little closer together so as to not stretch the fingers quite so much. But I'm babbling again. There are probably as many reasons to use alternate tunings as there are players who use them. Try some of those, I'm done for a while. In a nutshell "try it, you'll like it!"

Stringbreaker - Crazy Man Tuning

Crazy Man Tuning
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000