Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 An experiment of sorts
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2005 :  4:36:45 PM  Show Profile
So, here’s a bit of an experiment that came to me as I was thinking about the responses from the other thread I started, "Can a mainland...." Below are the lyrics of “Hanohano Hawai’i,” a traditional song that’s often played. Just a little tour around the Islands. My belief is that what makes this song so loved is the wealth of associations which it’s images elicit. So, I’m inviting members of this site to join me in an experiment to test my hypothesis. Share your memories and associations to the lyrics. Help us get into this song through the resonances it creates for you. This sharing should open us all up to some of what’s really inside the song. Probably not the same as having multiple generation of your own family sharing. And certainly not as good as being there yourself. The experiment is this: does this type of approach to a song make a qualitative difference next time you play this song. (Text and translation from huapala.org.)

Hanohano Hawai`i
Sweet lei ka lehua

Kilakila o Maui
Sweet lei lokelani

Ohuohu O`ahu
Sweet lei ka `ilima

Kaulana Kauai
Sweet lei mokihana

Ha`ina mai ka puana
Sweet lei lei aloha

Glorious is Hawai`i
For its wreath of lehua

Regal is Maui
With its wreath of roses

Adorned is O`ahu
With its wreath of `ilima

Renowned is Kaua`i
For its mokihana

Tell the refrain
Sweet lei, lei of love

Ianui
Lokahi

USA
298 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2005 :  5:02:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ianui's Homepage
Ray psychology is your profession and certainly not mine. But IMO its not the words that strike an emotion. Heck most of us don't even know the words or can sing any of the songs. Songs in the Hawaiian language don't translate to English with the same spirituality, as the connertations are lost in the English conversion.

The music itself creates a mood that encourages a range of emotions. The feeling of which is probably not the same for any two individuals, as we each have our own life experiences that effects them.

In your first post and in this one as well you seem to be dismissing the melody and its poweful sound. A song like a well written passage in a book, scenes shown in a movie, or visions evoked by a good story teller are subject to our imaginations. Which therein open the emotional experiences of our lifetimes. To me the words are secondary and frankly I listen to few words. Its the style of playing and the progression of chords that are the resonateors and essence of slack key music to me.

So I'm not sure what your goal here is, as IMO its a very personal thing that I for one could never express adaquetly. Other than to say I think its what ever effects you be it words, or music or both. The masters don't have a secret location we have to find in order to "feel" the music or smell the flowers. Its whats in each of us as individuals and there are as many places as there are individuals.

Edited by - Ianui on 01/04/2005 1:16:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2005 :  8:55:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
When I was on Maui this summer, I looked for a roselani bush, but never saw one. I know what a lehua blossom is, but it doesn't have the spiritual or romantic relationship for me. I've never been to Kaua'i.
If I was completely new to Hawaii, I'd assume the most revered flowers are hibiscus, torch ginger, heliconia, bird of paradise and plumeria because the resort areas are covered with them.
Because I'm most familiar with the Ka'au Crater Boys version, I think of that song as a high-speed show-off tune for Troy Fernandez and his uke, not as a traditional song. It takes on a deeper meaning when George Kahumoku sings it, however.
Maybe my disconnection from this song illustrates the disconnection of a mainlander from Hawaiian symbolism. But I really get into songs about symbolism in music, such as "Kawailehuaa'alakahonua" or "Paoakalani". As Don suggested above, the music also contributes to whether the lyrics effectively convey the feel of the song.
Like all of us, I have sensory memories of Hawaii that stick with me and which I try to illustrate in my music. I would love my slack key to convey the overpowering smell of the plumeria tree outside my grandma's house in Kaneohe or the sound of the pounding surf at night.
Jesse Tinsley

Edited by - hapakid on 01/03/2005 9:02:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2005 :  11:40:24 AM  Show Profile
One of the great flames of my younger life was a wahine whose family came from Kauai. She told me stories about spending summers with her tutu, and the grwat affection her tutu had for mokihana. When we went to visit Kauai, she took me to places that were special to her and her ohana. One evening I got her a mokihana lei from a local friend of the family. That evening she danced Beautiful Kaua'i for me, wearing that lei. Never forget the look of mokihana against her cinnamon skin in the moonlight. Never can quite hear that song without thinking of her and her family.

BTW, Jessie, I think you can get the feling of the plumeria, or the surf in your music. When George was at his best, I got lots of visual pictures when he sang/played. (My imagination is picture strong.)
Go to Top of Page

Bwop
Lokahi

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2005 :  1:21:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bwop's Homepage
Wazz'up Raymond,
I been everywhere, done everything and know all there is to be knowed. I've never done anything stupid, ignorant or bizarre, and it was MY grandfather that invented "aloha". If you ever need to know anything, like the "Kona" ('hidden meaning'-- it refers to the vague aroma of coffee brewing..) of this song, just ask me.... To wit:
Hawai'i's flower is "lehua", which is French ("le")/Hawai'ian ("hua") for "the upscale fruit". I know what this means from hanging out with Hati and D-9 in Mahukona (and, no, the "Mahu" has nothing to do with the fruit in this song) and offering them some low-acid organic pineapple. Their response of, "What, Bwop, you no soak 'em in Stollie??" gave me the understanding of how fruit is elevated to the status of "LE" hua.
Moving on to Maui, lokelani, through the mysterious process of lalation (or, "raration", if it undergoes itself) means that this verse is about ROSE-lani. I was grinding with kapuna on Maui, and Tutu goes off to do the dishes. Pops says to me, "We had dinner at this amazing resteraunt last night!". "What was it called", I asked. He thought for a while. "What's that flower, you know, it has thorns, it's red and you give it to someone you love?" "A rose?" I posit. "That's it!" he cried. Turning to the kitchen, he yells, "Hey, Rose, what was the name of that resteraunt we went to last night??"
It was in that resteraunt that they served this "blush" Zin-- Rose lani, or "heavenly Rose" that comes with ice and a sugar cube. Goes great with Kobe.
On Oahu, it's 'ilima. Breaking this down to simple words, its meaning becomes obvious. "'ili", meaning 'skin', and "ma", meaning 'guys', 'dudes' or 'homies'. The 'kona' here refers to Waikiki, where the layer of Copertone glints on the waves while those folks from Poketello slowly braise. It brings me the fond personal memories of the Royal Hawai'ians' idea of a Mai Tai-- a can of Donald Duck orange juice, a sprig of mint, a marachino cherry and some cheap rum (perhaps with a glint of Copertone, too).
You know dat guy, Moki?? Live over Kauai? When he was one young kolehe dude, he get da best idea how to "tag". Instead of messing up bathroom walls, buses or road signs, he go try make everybody shirt purple. That's his "hana", or job.
I hope I explain dis song to your satismafaction, Raymond. I go get "lei lei" now.

Bwop
Go to Top of Page

Bwop
Lokahi

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2005 :  3:00:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bwop's Homepage
One mo':
quote:
When George was at his best

I figgah that's about now. And, anytime to come.

Bwop
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2005 :  4:41:00 PM  Show Profile

Bwop maaan...

... you got me a rollin' in da isles! (pun intended)

(just to bother cmdrpiffle)

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2005 :  6:02:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Dat's what *I'M* talkin' about, BWOP!
Jesse
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2005 :  6:57:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
I really like this song. Been thinking about learning this for a long time.

Not sure if my associations are worthy. I'd rather hear from someone who grew up in the islands and has deeper roots than me.

I love Martin Pahinui singing this song.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2005 :  7:02:22 PM  Show Profile
I too would really like to hear from some folks from the islands who can help deepen my appreciation of this song.
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2005 :  03:44:23 AM  Show Profile
Bad Bwop, Bad Bwop,

You nearly made Sarah do herself an injury laughing. As for me: ROTFLMAO.

Brah, I can get you a gig at the Yale Med School where they stuff you in a Functional MRI, drip THC into you via IV, and ask you stupid questions while they watch your brain light up. With all of your linked associative synapses, your head pix would look like LA at night from a Keyhole satellite. Shoots, I could make you even more famous than you are already!

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Bwop
Lokahi

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2005 :  3:31:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bwop's Homepage
Reid!
Thanks for the THC IV MRI info, and LA.
FYI, I got to my HMO PDQ to get the POV whether AAA says it's OK for me to be one BMOC. They RSVP'd ASAP about a SNAFU, i.e., e.g., that the FAQ of the matter is that AA FAX'd that if BWOP, AKA a WASP was DUI at the ETA at LAX, he would be DOA. The CIA, DBA the FBI would send a SWAT to KO the MWM, or at least put out an APB. So the SOP needs to be BYOB, or at least a PB&J til I can wade through this BS and get to the ATM.
TTFN, TGIF

PS
What did your acronym mean??? I don't use them, myself.

Bwop
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2005 :  03:27:57 AM  Show Profile
Hey Bwop,

You know what boddah me? I can understand everything you wrote. I gotta get help.

THC (Tetrahydrocannabinol) you don't know !!!! Shame. And you live on the Left Coast? Besides, the Med School pays $100 to get you high and watch the light show in your brain. My taiji/gong fu teacher supplements his income regularly with these things (but his reflexes are getting slower - I took him yesterday). I can't do it 'cause I have metal in my head (you knew that :-) and my spine, so the strong magnetic fields of the MRI would cuisinart my insides.

The other stuff is NetSpeak. Look here:
http://www.omnicron.com/~fluzby/sister-share/acronyms.htm

So, Raymond, don't hate me for the digression, OK?

...Reid

Edited by - Reid on 01/06/2005 08:43:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

Bwop
Lokahi

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2005 :  3:48:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bwop's Homepage
Aloha e Reid,
Of COURSE I know THC-- The Head Chemical. Did you know that BYOB could also mean "Bring Your Own Buds"?? But that run-on one-- whew. MAWJTAYCTOWTDA. ("May As Weel Just Type Anything That You Can Think Of... aw, shucks, I fo'get the rest of what I gonna mean).
And Raymond, e kala mai, e mihi 'oe for significant diversion. "Hanohano Hawai'i" (sometimes "Sweet Lei Lehua") seems to have originated in the 1920's with the begining of "Aloha Week" (which George points out, is now "Aloha Month" and soon should be "Aloha Year"). It's interesting that Molokai and Niihau didn't rate enough for mention in the song (or got cut for the recorded version??). I'm wondering if the ascribing of flowers/colors to each island pre-dated the song, and were extant in the oli that Kaulakawa (sorry about spelling- but you know who I mean) reserected. There is the tradition in Hawai'i that when you travel somewhere, you pick something indigenous to the local area (like a flower in your hat band) to show that you've been there. The feeling of this song is like that, only on a broader level. It does have a wonderful feel of unifying particulars into a beautiful whole.
And Reid, you mean you could have gone to that early seventies Dead show at MIT (not with the acronyms, again!) where they got smuggled in in a bread truck and Pigpen played the definitive 'Lovelight'??? It makes me sad.

Bwop
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2005 :  6:08:22 PM  Show Profile
Actually, Reid was there, he just doesn't remember it. Afterall it was the early seventies.

Just wanted to take a small trip (now there's a word I remember) off topic. In the late sixties my band the Druids used to play Golden Gate Park with the Airplane, The Dead, It's a Beautiful Day, etc. Anyway, the famous Pigpen was so drunk he couldn't play (they didn't call him Pigpen for nothing), so I sat in for him.

Mahalo,

Dave
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000