Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Guitar story
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Larry Miller
Akahai

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2005 :  06:58:06 AM  Show Profile
Several winters ago, George Kahomoku was here in the Boston area to do a concert at the Somerville theater. Afterwards he held a slack key workshop in Cambridge, in the Harvard square area.
In a medium sized lecture hall, there were 40 to 50 guitar players gathered. Almost everyone there seemed to have rare antique guitars, mostly old Martins and Gibsons! I swear that there must have been over a hundred thousand dollars worth of instruments in that room! I had my old 1965 Gibson B 45 12 string.
George got us playing a simplified version of Opihi Moe Moe, and a splendid time was had by all. (Except George- the winter weather had given him a bad cold.)
When all those guitars got tuned to taro patch and started playing together, the sound was unbelievable!

We haven't had a mid-winter slack key concert here for several years- I miss them a lot...

Whee ha!

Larry M

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2005 :  7:58:24 PM  Show Profile
Sounds totally sweet. Used to live in Swampscott, just below Marble Head. Seems to me that there a couple of awsome places to create a slack key song: Castle Rock, Marble Head, Fort Sewell, Marble Head, and Nahant, out on the end of the point!

Mike

Aloha, Mike
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000