Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Music and the Brain
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2005 :  06:02:47 AM  Show Profile

A very informative *new* article about how and why music affects us and changes us. Some of it confirms things we already thought we knew, but there is lots of new stuff, too. For instance, your brain has changed and grown in certain places if you are a musician. Find out why violinists' brains only grow on one side. Find out why music is about the same as sex and dope (but you can do it in public). Good stuff.

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?articleID=0007D716-71A1-1179-AF8683414B7F0000&chanID=sa008

Bruddah Chrispy
Lokahi

USA
164 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2005 :  09:07:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bruddah Chrispy's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Reid

Find out why music is about the same as sex and dope (but you can do it in public). Good stuff.

No sex and dope in public? You haven't been to many Grateful Dead concerts have you?

Aloha a hui hou,
Chris P.

There's no regrets; only good times.
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2005 :  09:40:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
RE: pleasure from music
For Christmas my wife gave me a CD clock radio with a headphone jack on it. On those nights when I can't sleep because of stress at work, I listen to slack key using earbud headphones. I can't seem to make it through two songs. Keola Beamer is especially good for this.
Certain harmonies and combinations of turnarounds just melt away the tension.
Sometimes I roll over in my sleep and drag my player off the nightstand because I still have the headphones on.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2005 :  09:51:47 AM  Show Profile
Yo Chris,

Funneeee. No Dead, 'cause I never liked them (I know, UnAmurrican).

But, remember, I was here in New Haven when Jim Morrison (Doors, for you keiki) exposed himself in front of a largely stoned audience and Jim and everyone (not me) was hauled off to the calaboose. I was not at Woodstock, though, and from the evil time that those I know who were there had, glad I wasn't. Saw their X rated photos tho' ;-). And then there was Janis Joplin who was responsible for Yale's policy of never allowing a Rock/Pop group to perform in Wolsey Hall again (great place for sound). What horse and Southern Comfort can do to a great singer! She could hardly stand. She taunted the girls in the audience about confining their bazooms in pointy bras and you can guess what happened then.

But, I loved the 60s and early 70s, and I *was* there, unlike everyone else who thinks it was an evil time (OK, Nam was evil).

Back to our regularly scheduled program...

...Reid

Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2005 :  11:45:12 AM  Show Profile
Jesse,
I use a cheap CD player under the pillow so my more expensive alarm clock cd player stays put
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2005 :  2:41:26 PM  Show Profile
Jesse,

You can get an even cheaper and somewhat more robust "pillow speaker" to place under the pillow.

Reid,

I always thought it was two syllables as in "Marekun". Kind of like "Newcler", etc.

P.S. I don't remember...
quote:
the evil time ...

(that I had)

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 01/06/2005 2:43:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bwop
Lokahi

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2005 :  2:57:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bwop's Homepage
I had knee surgery a couple years ago. Ahead of time, I drew a big circle on my knee, and the message, "You may have hidden artistic talent. Can you put two eyes and a nose on Gumbo?" (it was the three hole orthoscopic kine). I asked if I could use a headphone while I was under. The anesthesia (esp. the "memory blocker" ) were amazing and I had no concept of awareness during the surgery. The anescesiologist came to see after and said, "I don't know what you had on that tape, but apparently, you REALLY like it!" It was Led's Black Sands.

Bwop
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2005 :  3:03:38 PM  Show Profile
Actually, I use a pillow speaker with the Cd player under the pillow, forgot that detail.
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2005 :  4:09:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Raymond,
I got tired of putting batteries in my portable CD player, but I might have to find an adapter. I'm also looking for earbud headphones with a volume control because my current CD player isn't nahenahe enough.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2005 :  7:30:32 PM  Show Profile
I bought recharables.
I didn't like the earbuds for nighttime -- they would wake me up too much
The pillow speaker gives crappy reproduction, and I wouldn't use it with a Bose, but it does work to lull me to sleep. Maybe being dog tired when I get to bed has something to do with it, too.
Go to Top of Page

neeej
`Olu`olu

USA
643 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2005 :  7:39:46 PM  Show Profile
You guys are pikers :-) I gotta big 110-CD jukebox in my bedroom, with 'bout 80 of the slots filled with Hawaiian music. Use real speakers (small'ns, I will admit). 'Course, the only other purrson in the room is the cat, & she admits to no opinion either way

--Jean S
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2005 :  8:35:56 PM  Show Profile
Reid,

Good stuff! The authors pulled back on some speculation though. For instance, I'd guess that with so many different parts of the brain involved, music is not an accidental side effect of our brain structure. I wish they'd said more about music and syntax, too. Do they mean that that is a learned thing, and that's why some music sounds weird and sometimes unpleasent, like some jazz or some music from other cultures - we haven't learned the new syntax yet?

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2005 :  07:52:36 AM  Show Profile
Pauline,

That is a good question about cultural preferences which they did not address. They said babies like "consonant" composite sounds like 5ths, but that brings up more questions like yours. How do people get to "like" microtonal music or Chinese opera? Have you seen Zhang Yimou's "Raise the Red Lantern" in which one of the wives is an opera star? It is a gorgeous movie, but her singing made my head hurt, and she was doing it correctly. We have 2 musicologist friends who specialize in the atonal music of early 1900s Vienna and they have held concerts of lieder. We went because they were our friends, but it was excruciating, true pain. After, they said "wasn't that gorgeous music?".

Maybe, since the article said the brain remaps and reorganizes and grows in certain areas, the sounds that one hears as a young person make the connections to the pleasure centers stronger. But, that is just a wild stab. I would like to see some real research.

Still lots of unknowns.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2005 :  10:27:26 AM  Show Profile
Jean,
I suppose you made your comment in jest but be careful who you call "pikers" -
My Hawaiian collection, at last count about 5 months ago, topped 325 albums. And that's small change compared with my classical collection.
Go to Top of Page

Bwop
Lokahi

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2005 :  2:15:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bwop's Homepage
E Raymond, I come your house with my recorder, no?
Getting to sleep is one thing, but waking is another. I was so thrilled when I found a tape player/alarm. The first thing I did was record half a usual conversation with Melinda. I put the player under the bed suruptisciouly, and we went to sleep. In the morning, Melinda heard me say, "Beebers, time to wake up.... What'd you dream about?". Well, I held up my half of the conversation, and eventually so did Melinda, until she discovered I was not actually an active participant. I've used snippets from our record collection to amass over two hundred sound bytes for appropriate rousing (not only the obvious, like Jim Morrison screaming "Wake Up!" at a poetry reading, but finding gems like the Electric Prunes doing ("I Had Too Much To Dream Last Night"). Anyone want to borrow da tape??
I charted my older sons' early musical interest, and looking back, it's amazing to note how different genres appeared worthy of note to him: "early Beatles" was a long span (if the second side of Beatles '64 didn't quiet his colic, something was dreadfully wrong), but "anything with horns" (like "You Can Get It If You Really Want") was a flash in the pan. Old jug band came in early and never left. In hindsight, I firmly believe that exposing my children to a vast array of ecletic music helped to shape their present musicianship and general worldly appreciation.
Having many cultures represented within the children in my nursery school, I find music is the quickest, most direct and effective communication. Some "themes" seem to be genetic, like the "na na na na na" (you know! that taunting thing). If nothing else, words are symbols, but music is brain dancing.
I hope this all will sink in for me someday.

Bwop
Go to Top of Page

neeej
`Olu`olu

USA
643 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2005 :  7:57:37 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by RJS

Jean,
I suppose you made your comment in jest but be careful who you call "pikers" -
My Hawaiian collection, at last count about 5 months ago, topped 325 albums. And that's small change compared with my classical collection.

Not calling pikers for # of CDs---but for big blastin' music machine in the bedroom. None of these underpillow lumps <G>

--Jean S
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000