Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 Kuo, Pahinui and Mahi show
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2002 :  10:29:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
aloha all,

i went to hear george kuo, martin pahinui and aaron mahi at the belly up in san diego last night. this was the first stop of their west coast tour (about to be joined by bruddah patrick!) i've never seen these folks play, and had never heard of aaron mahi.

the show opened with george. i was late and so don't know how long he had been playing, but when i came in he was about to start a beautiful version of "moana chimes". he then played and sang a nice version of "waimanalo blues". after that, i lost track of what he was playing, mainly because i was wondering how he was tuning and playing his dual necked guitar. he did a version of "ipo lei manu" where he was switching between the two necks (and tunings - a nice way to modulate). i don't think tabbing out kuo's songs is a winning proposition.

george introduced martin and aaron. aaron played a simple bass line on an electric bass, and aaron can really sing... they did several songs, some from the "hui aloha" album.

go check out the show if you can. if you can't, they play every sunday at the waikiki marriott from 6 to 9.

aloha,
keith

hwnslacker
Lokahi

USA
295 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2002 :  10:45:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnslacker's Homepage  Send hwnslacker an AOL message

Aloha Keith!!!

The double neck is a trip..yeah!! The top is tuned to a maunaloa tuning dropped to Bb and the bottom one is usually tuned to taro patch dropped to F...it's pretty col how he is able to switch from one to the other during songs...it compliments him well because he enjoys the sound of the 12 string...it gives that "Gabby" feel to things...especially with Martin there...

Aloha Brah!!

Patrick Landeza
www.patricklandeza.com

Patrick Landeza
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2002 :  01:18:55 AM  Show Profile
I also got to see the Kuo/Pahinui/Mahi show at the Cocoanut Grove in Santa Cruz. What an enjoyable evening! I have seen both George and Martin before, but Aaron was new to me. The three had a companionable and easy sound worked out among them, I really got a kick out of Aaron's late-back, easy-going style. I swear he looked so comforatble on that chair, I thought he might doze off. The music was wonderful, and they played some lovely oldies that I had not heard in some time. Martin was in fine form with his beautiful falsetto voice. Great fun. Aloha, Julie

Go to Top of Page

doctorrose
Aloha

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2002 :  8:38:12 PM  Show Profile
The Portland show last night was outstanding. Under the stars in the outdoor amphitheatre at the Oregon Zoo, the sweet sounds of slack key ... what could be better? George Kuo's opening solo set was beautiful, and it only got better from there. Martin Pahinui and Aaron Mahi were great, and as a trio, the sound and the spirit were wonderful. Patrick Landeza was a great addition on a few songs as well.

For those of you who have an opportunity to see an upcoming show, don't miss it!

Aloha,

Eric

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000