Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 My first Slack Key tune ...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Antoine
Aloha

France
28 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2005 :  11:07:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Antoine's Homepage
Aloha,
I've recorded my first Ki Ho'Alu song, it's "Lei Awapuhi" that I've learned after Led Kaapana & Bob Brozman CD.

It's online there : http://antoine.payen.free.fr/slackkey/

Antoine 'Ilio Wela

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2005 :  11:27:49 AM  Show Profile
Bravo, mon ami,

There are lots of people who would wish that their first essai would be as good. Actually, I wish that my thousandth would be as good. And this was just from listening, right?

...Reid

Go to Top of Page

Antoine
Aloha

France
28 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2005 :  11:31:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Antoine's Homepage
Thanks Reid !
Yes I started learning this song by ear, and Gary (Anwil) gave me his tab, it helped me correcting some wrong fingerings. I thank him again for that !

Antoine 'Ilio Wela
Go to Top of Page

Larry Miller
Akahai

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2005 :  2:23:27 PM  Show Profile
Nice sounding 12-string; can you tell us about it?

Whee ha!

Larry M
Go to Top of Page

Antoine
Aloha

France
28 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2005 :  02:18:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Antoine's Homepage
Aloha e Larry,
This 12 string guitar was made for me back in 1993 by Alain Quéguiner, a parisian luthier who learned 2 years long in Bozo's workshop. It's a small jumbo sized guitar, with spruce top and flamed maple back and size. You can see it on my pages : http://antoine.payen.free.fr/ . I have another 12 sring beeing built by Claude Fouquet, another fine french luthier, and I should get it in a couple of months.
See their websites : http://www.alain-queguiner.com/ , http://claudefouquet.free.fr/
Must I say : I love 12 string guitars ?

Antoine 'Ilio Wela
Go to Top of Page

Molly
Aloha

14 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2005 :  03:34:54 AM  Show Profile
Well done!! I loved it. Liked your sense of rhythm too:))
I LOVE 12-strings and what I enjoy most is discovering which slack key songs are enhanced by a 12(some are hindered).
I have played a 35 year old Guild F212 most of my life but I also love my Hawaiian Koa 6-string now:))
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2005 :  05:30:29 AM  Show Profile
Congrats Antoine! Well done.
-slho
Go to Top of Page

Gary A
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2005 :  08:28:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Gary A's Homepage
Very nice job Antoine! I also like the ragtime-style clips on your website - you have an energetic style that goes well with the 12-string guitar.

Gary
Go to Top of Page

Antoine
Aloha

France
28 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2005 :  10:02:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Antoine's Homepage
Thanks to you all !
Playing Ragtime for so many years taught me how to syncopate the rythm with my right hand thumb. It really adds colorful effects to the music and might be applicable to all kind of music, like Slack Key, I think.
More than this, as I'm discovering Slack Key music world today, I find many similarities with old Blues music, in the spirit, the authenticity in this musical expression. To me SK seems to be the voice of a people singing about their lives and wills, playing the guitar without any sense of competition, just in a peaceful manner and tons of feelings. (I hope my words are correct !). And that's really what blew my mind many years ago when I discovered the acoustic Country-Blues. Now Slack Key sounds similar to my ears, listening to the ancient masters who opened the ways in the beginning, and now different families of players and lots of music lovers and passionnates who play and play and play, always peacefully and so far from commercials things. A true Culture !

Antoine 'Ilio Wela
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2005 :  10:02:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Amazing, superb. Well done, Antoine! Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2005 :  12:03:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Hi Antoine -

Very nice playing indeed.

In case you don't know, that particular arrangement that Led & Broz played is based on Leonard Kwan's arrangement of the same tune. Can't remember the album - but it's not "The Old Way." Leonard swings it like crazy, with a really sweet triplet thing happening throughout the piece as a motif. The high second part of the tune is his -- with the triplet/ swung rhythm it's a real finger twister.

Led also throws this tune in the middle of "Radio Hula" sometimes, complete with the second part.

It's been TABed out a few times, both with and without "permission" -- See if you can find a copy of the red Leonard Kwan tab book -- long out of print, but findable. Of course, you already know this tune, so no need for that. But there are some real gems to be had.

Just for fun, check out Keola Beamer's arrangement of the same song -- a completely different vibe!

Welcome to the world of slack key. Addictive, ain't it?

cheers,

Mark

Go to Top of Page

Antoine
Aloha

France
28 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2005 :  12:21:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Antoine's Homepage
Absolutely, Mark ! And beeing back a beginner again still adds much fun !
Aloha !

Antoine 'Ilio Wela
Go to Top of Page

jlsulle
Lokahi

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2005 :  5:07:06 PM  Show Profile  Send jlsulle a Yahoo! Message
Hi Mark,
I have the red Leonard Kwan tab book but I don't find the song "Lei Awapui". What song in that book are you refering to?
Jerry
Go to Top of Page

Gary A
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2005 :  5:50:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Gary A's Homepage
"Lei Awapuhi" is also know as "Ku'u Lei Awapuhi Melemele" or by it's English title "My Yellow Ginger Lei". Leonard Kwan's version is on the "Legendary Leonard Kwan" collection that came out recently. There it's called "My Yellow Ginger Lei".

To make things even more confusing, there's another common Hawaiian song called "Ku'u Lei Awapuhi" that is completely different. Keola teaches that song on his slack key video.

Keola's version of "My Yellow Ginger Lei" is on his "Moe`uhane Kika" album. There it's called "Kuu Lei Awapuhi Melemele". It's in F Wahine tuning and he does have a very different approach to the song. That same album also has a version of the other "Lei Awapuhi" song.

Gary

Edited by - Gary A on 01/20/2005 6:04:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

Gary A
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2005 :  6:08:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Gary A's Homepage
I just checked mele.com and noticed that they have snippets of all three versions that have been discussed. In case anyone is interested, here are links to the three album. It's interesting to compare them.

Ledward and Bob Brozman (Lei Awapuhi): http://www.mele.com/v3/info/889.htm
Leonard Kwan (My Yellow Ginger Lei): http://www.mele.com/v3/info/2765.htm
Keola (Medley: Ku'u Lei Awapuhi Melemele): http://www.mele.com/v3/info/14.htm

Thanks to mele.com I also learned that there are a number of vocal versions of the song. Here's a really sweet falsetto version by Dennis Pavao:
http://www.mele.com/v3/info/949.htm

Gary

Edited by - Gary A on 01/20/2005 6:20:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

Antoine
Aloha

France
28 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2005 :  07:35:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Antoine's Homepage
Aloha,
Thanks Gary for the links, I've been to listen to the different versions, Kwan's one is really amazing ! At the same time I've listened to hese other titles on the web page, I love his sound and playing, very swingy, dancing. His guitar rings very clear, too, superb ! Certainly that's the next CD I'll buy.

Antoine 'Ilio Wela
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000