Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Does kiho`alu have an arch enemy?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

sandman
Lokahi

USA
181 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2005 :  06:31:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit sandman's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by RJS
Andy, this is an interesting question, and I have been stuck for a few days on how to respond. Maybe 'cause I don't see the need for "slack key" to become mainstream. In general, I sort of get really suspicious of any "missionary" efforts. Slack key, to me, is the patrimony of the Hawaiian people. These people have generously shared it with the world in general, and with us in particular. For that I am thankful. I'm not sure the value of "commercial success," is really that much part of the tradition. (I don't mean to play on a "country bumpkin" stereotype either.)
So... maybe the enemy of slack key is the complex of commercially-driven values which turn our, and especially our children, away from family, time spent with friends and family, the ability to open to nature, respect for our ancestors and history, and somehow integrate all of that into our daily lives. Indeed, doesn't matter what people you come from, we're all being pressed hard by this greed. (And to the extent that I own stock, 401k's and want to make a nice living, I am a "perpetrator, too -- and that's where I think I expand on Larry's comments.)

Sorry for ramble -- I shouldn't go on line so late.

No rambling, just good ideas, Raymond. In so many cases we are described by Walt Kelly's Pogo of many years ago: We have met the enemy and he is us. Now, where do we go from here
Sandy

Leap into the boundless and make it your home.
Zhuang-zi
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2005 :  4:09:45 PM  Show Profile
Naaahhhhh.

You are all wrong.

The real Arch Enemy is (to be revealed below)!

I mean when you mention Hawaiian Music (haole) people think . . what?

UKULELE (or yoo-koo-layly)

---
---

And when they think ukulele, they automatically think of who??
Jake Simabukuro? Ohta San? Daniel Ho?

OH NO NO NO NO

---
---

They think of TINY TIM !!!!!

--- and then immediately launch into a rant about the worst excuse for music and musician and --- don't ever play that trash in my house, what you own a ukulele? you play Hawaiian music ? what the heck is kiholau?? --- get out of here you FREAKIN WEIRDO!!!

You can't even get them to listen to Keola Beamer's, He Punahele No 'Oe. Even with a Spam haiku teaser.

So I vote for TINY TIM.

------------
(What, you just bought another Hawaiin Music CD?) Mike

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000