Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 SoCal HMI
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2005 :  5:22:24 PM  Show Profile
I've heard rants and raves from the Pacific Northwest people about the HMI, but nary a word from Southern California. Howzit? Was it that bad that nobody has responded. Uncle Dennis gave us a two hour lesson in Berkeley on Monday night before he went to SoCal and it was unbelievable. Wazzup?

Dave

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2005 :  05:15:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
Thanks Dave for posting this because I was just thinking the same thing. I especially want to know how the Power Slack sessions w/Keoki Kahumoku went, since it wasn't offered in the PNW. Any comments would be awesome!

Maggie
Go to Top of Page

Ianui
Lokahi

USA
298 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2005 :  06:41:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ianui's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by MahinaM

Thanks Dave for posting this because I was just thinking the same thing. I especially want to know how the Power Slack sessions w/Keoki Kahumoku went, since it wasn't offered in the PNW. Any comments would be awesome!
Maggie

There were only 2 or 3 Taro Patchers I know of that were in attendance. I didn't take Power Slack Key, but I heard a comment from someone that did to the effect that it alone was worth the cost of going.

Patrick and Keoki taught Beginning Slack Key and what a team that was. In two days they had people that had never played slack key playing several songs.

Dennis was his usual outstanding self. What an extreamly talented man, what an extreamly generous man he is. On Sunday I skipped lunch and went to the classroom which was on the stage of the theatre. On this dimly lit stage was Dennis alone and playing his guitar. I sat down across from him and not only experienced a memorable conversation, but the opportunity to hear him play and sing songs of Gordon Lightfoot and several other non slack key, non Hawaiian artists. I cannot adaquetly describe the feeling. Just the two of us on this big dark stage in an empty theatre, and beautiful music.

He has a new song titled "Far Away" that is an absolute killer.

The concert Saturday night was great and brought out the professionalism of them all. It seems we had a playful spirit hanging around the stage. Patrick was singing a falsetto number and the sound went out just as he hit the first high note. Keoki sat down made one strum and a string broke. Dennis was tuning for a song and a string broke. He played the song anyway on 5 strings better that anybody else could using 6.

Despite all the technical glitches it was a great concerts. The banter between Herb and Keoki kept everyone laughing.

All in all it was a very good weekend and I look forward to the next one.

Edited by - Ianui on 01/21/2005 06:43:19 AM
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2005 :  10:40:01 AM  Show Profile
The SoCal HMI was a good experience for me overall... I did come away with somthing.
For me, Dennis's class was somewhat over my head in that the look-listen-play type of instruction was somewhat difficult for me to catch onto quickly. I know before joining the class it would somewhat more involved than say an Ozzie, or George's class, so my expectations weren't set too high. Keoki's class I thought was very good, his instruction, breakdown of what he was showing was much more digestable.
Dennis's class was simply some turnarounds, song instruction, light theory, and recital. Keoki's was all that and more. Better explaination of things and such. I'll be the first to admit, I am not a quick learner, (those who know me, know that very well) so learning anything is a challenge for me. I would attend again, and still highly recommend it to anyone wanting to learn slack key.
The concert too, was very good Dennis remains one of my all-time favorite performers. Dennis & his son, David always play great together.
Herb & Keoki seem to get better & better every time their together. Herb played great even with flu-like symtoms, what a trooper. Patrick's instrumentals & story telling on stage are always awesome. Patricks first number was kinda rough, not sure if he was still suffering from the bug everyone caught in Washington or not, singing the high notes appeared difficult.
All in all, I give it high marks,
pau,
-slkho
Go to Top of Page

Ianui
Lokahi

USA
298 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2005 :  1:56:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ianui's Homepage
Rik I think you were hearing the sound system cutting in and out on Patrick, which gave out completely before the song was finished. It also had periodic static which sounded very scratchy.

Under the pressure of occassional adverse technical problems all of them did exceptionally well. I heard some great music, really laughed at Keoki and Herb antics and was totally entertained. My son who had never heard this music before attended, thought it was great and wants to attend more.

As far as Dennis class we must not have been in the same one.
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2005 :  3:55:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
At the Seattle HMI Patrick and the guys relied on a basic one-box PA with two speakers and were bedeviled with hum problems and poor microphones. I think that Patrick had to rent gear from a local music store to make the concert happen and you never know what kind of gear you'll have to use.
Uncle Dennis' advanced slack key class had a wide range of skill levels so it was of varying value to the students. As Rik said, it was mostly watch and learn, not ideal for everyone.
But I almost would rather put the guitar down and just listen to his stories about Gabby, Palani Vaughn, Atta, Sonny Chillingworth, Eddie Kamae and others.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000