Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Globe Uke?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Larry Miller
Akahai

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2005 :  4:15:37 PM  Show Profile
Hey!

I just bought a baritone uke on eBay, and am wondering if anyone can tell me about it. It is solid mahogony, with a rosewood fingerboard. Medium quality workmanship- I'd guess 20 to 40 years old; simple straight-through tuners.

There are no maker's marks of any kind inside or elsewhere, but there is a round "sticker" on the head, with the words "The Globe" and "registered", and a picture of the world- red lettering on a gold background.

Does anyone know more about this? Harmony, maybe?

Mahalo!

Whee ha!

Larry M

Larry Miller
Akahai

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2005 :  7:01:13 PM  Show Profile
More: I got the Aquila Nylgut key of C string set, soprano tuning. So far so good. I can tune it up to soprano range, and get a good sound with a little more depth, due to the larger body.The old tuners slip a little, but I'll replace those with something better.

Whee ha!

Larry M
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2005 :  8:20:45 PM  Show Profile
I'm assuming you bought Nylguts designed for a baritone in GCEA tuning so the string tension isn't too high.

I'm also assuming you have friction tuners. The tuners may need to have the little screws on the button tightened just a bit. Try 1/8 of a turn. There is some happy medium between tuners that are loose and turn easily and cranking that screw down to where they are stiff but don't slip. I'm still trying to find it. I DON'T LIKE friction tuners. If you have slipping geared tuners, this won't work, of course.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

Larry Miller
Akahai

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2005 :  5:43:43 PM  Show Profile
A trick I used once on a banjo with similar pegs was to get some lock washers and put them in between the key and the mounting. AS I recall, it seemed to work pretty well.

Mahalo!

Whee ha!

Larry M
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2005 :  6:28:58 PM  Show Profile
I've never heard of Globe ukes, but I'm no expert, either. Have you asked Frets Fayne at Uke Yak on Flea Market Music? He's often good at ID-ing mystery ukes. He'd like a photo, too. http://www.fleamarketmusic.com/uke-yak/default.asp

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

Larry Miller
Akahai

USA
65 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2005 :  6:49:40 PM  Show Profile
I got a reply to my inquiry, as follows:

Hi Larry,
I had a Globe soprano with the same round decal. It was made in West Germany, so yours probably was too.

Cheers,

Paul Kraus
North Pacific Ukuleles
http://www.northpacificproductions.com

Whee ha!

Larry M
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page