Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 Robi Kahakalau & Sean Na'auao
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2005 :  9:57:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Robi & Sean have a regular gig at the Sheraton Moana Surfrider so we stopped by tonight (our last night in town) and it was really a terrific show. These two terrific artists have embraced their Hawaiian roots for this show. Ku`u Lynnie was charmed by their dancer, Sister Loki.

Both are wonderful singers, and with Robi playing rhythm Sean really cut loose with his lead style. I was enthralled by the way he demonstrated a vocabulary of blazing hot licks that were so totally Hawaiian. I'm so impressed I'm thinking of unslacking my darned guitar.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2005 :  3:34:58 PM  Show Profile
Fran,
Glad to see you're enjoying some of the best performers of Hawaiian music.
Slack key is only part of a wonderfully rich picture.
Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2005 :  8:56:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
Fran:

I SERIOUSLY want to be a mouse in your pocket when you travel to Hawaii next time! You are catching some great music, bro!

Maggie
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2005 :  9:29:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
I can't take any credit, Maggie. It's all happening as we speak. We passed two great performances walking down Kalakaua from Sansei (25% off from 5:30 to 6:00 Mon-Wed - try the Miso Butterfish!) at the Hilton on our way to see Sean and Robi at the Sheraton, then heard and saw Ray Sowders and Shawn Ishimoto at the Cheesecake Factory (peeking in through the window because there's always a line to get in) on our way back to the car. We missed several terrific performers like Jerry Santos, Haunani Apoliona, Mel Amina, and more because we were just overwhelmed.

If there's any way you can get a little time off, air fares are pretty reasonable in the winter and it's really sweet to walk around in shorts and sandals, stroll on the beach, splash around in the surf, and listen to this amazing music in the balmy evening.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog

Edited by - Fran Guidry on 01/27/2005 9:33:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2005 :  10:40:34 AM  Show Profile
Sean's awesome!! We see him everytime he comes to S.D. Mrs. Slkho goes Ga-Ga over him. Check out his "Still Pounding" CD
-slkho
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2005 :  03:48:54 AM  Show Profile
Sean and Robi are also working on a new all-Hawaiian recording, which Sean is producing. Last time he called, release date had been pushed to "early 2005".

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2005 :  6:52:16 PM  Show Profile
Fran, we are living vicariously through you!!

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2005 :  10:20:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
slkho, in spite of buying a bunch of CDs on the trip, I still have a long list of new "must haves" based on seeing these artists.

Auntie, their bass player mentioned the duet project. He was very eloquent about the value of playing traditional music and introducing it to a wider audience.

Sad to say, Dusty, your vicarious adventure has come to an end. It was nice to get back to the non-travel guitars and sleep in our own bed, but ...

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog

Edited by - Fran Guidry on 01/29/2005 10:24:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2005 :  3:20:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
Aye ya, you're killing me Fran (with Miso Butterfish too)! I guess I'll have to wait until I go to Maui in June, though I may be too overwhelmed with workshop activities. I will sacrifice sleep to hear some good music, though! Honolulu is great though because you have lots and lots of music happening there. Perhaps I should incorporate a pit stop there on the way home. Hmmm...

Maggie

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000