Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Red Album
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2002 :  11:20:59 PM  Show Profile
To those who have the "Slack Key instruction Book," by Leonard Kwan:

As far as I know, the closest recording to the TABS in this book is "Leonard Kwan & His Slack Key Guitar." This is the Tradewinds recording thar came out with a black cover and is sometimes called "The Red Album." As far as I know, Tradewinds is out of business, the masters are destroyed, and there are no plans to rerelease this album. I have a copy of it digitized. Not a great recording hifi-wise, but more than enough to study from. If any of this community want a copy for their own study, please send your snail mail to: Raymond Stovich, 467 Saratoga Ave., Box 129, San Jose, CA 95129. Also send $5.00 to cover cost of CD, box, mailer and postage. Please note that I only check my box once a week, so there may be some delay. If you want to kokua for my time and effort, I no refuse.

I am making this offer based upon my understanding of the facts as above. If someone knows if they are incorrect, please notify me. Aint't trying to do no wrong, just make the stuff available if someone wants to study from it.

Raymond
San Jose, CA

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2002 :  1:03:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
quote:
As far as I know, the closest recording to the TABS in this book is "Leonard Kwan & His Slack Key Guitar." This is the Tradewinds recording thar came out with a black cover and is sometimes called "The Red Album."
Hey Raymond, the Red Album is TS-103 and really does have a red cover (hence the name ;-)

Craig
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2002 :  4:37:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
This is interesting...I just did a Web search and there WAS a black album, TR-103. Perhaps this was a reissue of TS-103? The song list for the red album is as follows:

Side A:
- OPIHI MOEMOE
- YELLOW GINGER LEI
- OPIHI MOMONA NUI
- NAHENAHEWIKI
- OPIHI BOUNCE
- NAHENAHE

Side B:
- PAU PILIKIA
- KANEOHE-MAMA E
- MANINI
- SILVER STRINGS AMONG THE GOLD
- MAORI BROWN EYES
- OPIHI MOEMOE

There is also a white album with Leonard and Uncle Ray, TS-106. Songs on this one are:

Side A:
- OPIHI MOEMOE (LEONARD)
- YELLOW GINGER LEI (LEONARD)
- KILA KILA HALEAKALA (RAY)
- WILLY'S TUNE (RAY)
- MELEANA E (RAY)
- NAHENAHE (LEONARD)
- AUWE ! (RAY)

Side B:
- PUNAHELE (RAY)
- KANEOHE-MAMA E (LEONARD)
- MANINI (LEONARD)
- WA'AHILA (RAY)
- HAWAIIAN LOVE (LEONARD)
- MEDLEY (RAY): (a) Aia Hiki Mai (b)Koni Au (c)Palisa

Craig

Edited by - cpatch on 08/08/2002 16:41:30
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2002 :  4:47:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
You guys have me a little confused. I have two of the Tradewinds releases on cassette tape. Are either of these the "red album"?

Perhaps the more important question is: anyone here looking for the out-of-print Leonard Kwan instruction book? If you are, I think Jiro at www.slack-key.com has very limited stock.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2002 :  5:35:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
I'd say that if the song list matches the ones I gave then for all intents and purposes you have the red album.

Where did you get the cassettes?

Craig
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2002 :  10:33:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
I bought them in Honolulu in 1995 and 1996, I think. Good for reference when learning from the book, but the recordings are Leonard Kwan with a band backing him so it's not too easy to pick out the guitar part... at least not when I was first learning.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2002 :  01:52:33 AM  Show Profile
The cassette I have (with black cover) and which I digitized matches exactly your play list for the "Red Album."
Raymond

Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2002 :  11:33:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
FWIW, there's a copy of the red "Red Album" LP up for auction on eBay right now. It's currently at $21.50 with 3 days left. Wow.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2002 :  2:54:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
As far as I know, there's one more Leonard Kwan album, which has a red cover: "The Old Way." I have a cassette copy, Tradewinds TWC 5528, I bought about six or seven years ago.

Side 1:
New Opihi Moemoe
Sase
Kealoha
Mi Nei
Opae Tumatuma
Grandfather's Clock

Side 2:
Ki Ho`Alu (EA-E)
Hula Blues
Old Maunaloa
Akaka Falls
Uheuhene
Palolo

Many of these songs are in Leaonard's book, too.

This recording was made on a big Gibson hollow-body through what sounds like a Fender amp with an enormous 60 Hz hum running under the whole thing. I stuck it on the studio computer and ran some high-end hiss and hum-removal software to clean it up. Sounds pretty good now.

I seem to remember trying to track down someone connected with Tradewinds at the time to offer them a re-mastered CD gratis, but found no takers. Auwe.

I'd love to find a copy of Volume 1 - I'd be honored to do the same kind of audio restoration on it. At my expense, 'natch.

I'll be at the Aloha Camp all next week, so I may not be able to reply for awhile.

Cheers,

Mark

Go to Top of Page

Pops
Lokahi

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2002 :  1:39:19 PM  Show Profile
Aloha,

In regard to Mr. Kwan's instructional book I got a copy from Elderly Music in Lansing, MI (www.elderly.com). I believe the price was roughtly $5.00! Not too many good things are that inexpensive these days.

--Peace

Pops

Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2002 :  5:01:46 PM  Show Profile
Glad I popped into the forum today -- this conversation about Leonard Kwan is delightful!

Sadly, that instructional book went out of print last year. I bought the last supply from the distributor, and then Jiro bought up all that I had. Not sure if he's got any left, but it's worth asking him.

As for Leonard's recordings (and which is "red" and which is not <g>),
with album covers and song lists:
http://www.mele.com/v3/artcat/kwan.htm

I'm blessed to have all 3 cassettes. Now I just gotta get the software to convert these (and other "treasures" I've been saving) to CD format. Any suggestions as to the best noise-reduction software to purchase??

-- auntie maria

Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2002 :  11:50:13 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Auntie Marie,
I use Adaptec Easy CD Creator 4, -- the "Spin Doctor" component. I like it because it is easy and gets a fairly good job done for me. Their latest version "5" (now under the Roxio label) seems more powerful but its too complicated for me to use. (I saw a version 4 on sale at a discount mall last week for $4.95.)
Raymond
San Jose

Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2002 :  12:25:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
quote:
As for Leonard's recordings (and which is "red" and which is not <g>),
with album covers and song lists:
http://www.mele.com/v3/artcat/kwan.htm
Umm...this URL doesn't include the earlier Tradewinds recordings, including TS/R-103 and TS-106 (the red album and the white album).

Incidentally, there are now copies of both the red and white albums (both LPs) up for auction on eBay. A search for kwan should turn both up (if not, a search for "slack key" will). The red album is currently at $31.50 with a day or so to go. The white album just got listed and is already at $22 or so.

I've seen copies of both elsewhere on the Web for $35 (LP), cassettes for $22. It's nice to know this stuff is so highly valued (albeit frustrating if you're trying to find a copy).

Craig

Edited by - cpatch on 08/12/2002 00:31:46
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2002 :  6:07:12 PM  Show Profile
Jelly's Music on O`ahu can be a goldmine for collectors. They apparently scout the estate & garage sales throughout the islands -- and their resale prices are extremely reasonable for LPs, cassettes, and CDs.

-- auntie maria
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2002 :  12:25:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Called Jelly's, they don't have any of Leonard's stuff. Thanks for the reference anyway.

Does anyone know if Tradewinds is still in business? If so, does anyone have a phone number?

Craig
Go to Top of Page

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2002 :  12:40:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage
quote:

Does anyone know if Tradewinds is still in business? If so, does anyone have a phone number?

Tradewinds is no more, and as far as I know, the catalog was never acquired by another label--in fact, I've been told that Margaret Tufft-Williams wanted the master tapes destroyed when she died. Don't know whether that actually happened, but if it did, there went a substantial chunk of Hawaiian music history.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000