Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Baby Taylor on the Hokule`a
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2002 :  4:36:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
At risk of presenting an advertisement here, I stumbled upon this at Taylor's site. Thought it was interesting since I've been to a couple presentations about the Hokule`a in New York recently and have tremendous respect for the project and the people involved. -Andy

This article is taken from the Taylor Guitars website.

THE PERFECT POLYNESIAN SEA COMPANION
Aloha, I am writing concerning my recently acquired Baby Taylor. I play a Hawaiian style of guitar called "slack key" or "kiho'alu". I am also involved with an organization called the Polynesian Voyaging Society, whose task is to relearn the lessons of our Polynesian ancestors as they voyaged and settled the area in the Pacific called Polynesia. We have been sailing a Polynesian voyaging, double-hulled sailing canoe called "Hokule'a" for the past 25 years. You might be interested to look at our website to see our latest voyage to the Marquesas, Rapa Nui, Tahiti, and back to Hawai'i.

I was selected to crew on this voyage and desired to take a guitar along. On the first leg to the Marquesas, I brought a full-size guitar, but it proved a bit large to be comfortable on the trip. On the fourth leg, from Rapa Nui to Tahiti, I looked around at a number of travel guitars available in Hawai'i, but could not find one that had the tone, volume and general sound I was looking for.

Finally, I happened upon the Baby Taylor. As soon as I played it, I knew this would be the perfect companion on the voyage at sea. I was a bit apprehensive about taking such a prize out into the elements, but I figured I'd just be careful. It was a good thing the hard case came with the guitar; it even fit in a dry bag that I had purchased for the trip.

Out at sea, the Baby Taylor provided welcome entertainment and enjoyment that the whole crew jammed on. We had some beautiful jam sessions under the stars, as well as during the day. Other crewmembers couldn't believe that such a full sound came from such a small package. It sounded so good that some of the crew commented about purchasing such a guitar once we arrived back in Hawai'i.

Its small size fit perfectly in my small sleeping compartment without compromising any other gear that I needed. It also stood up to the natural environment and high humidity of the tropics and being at sea. If you look at the voyaging website, there is a picture of me playing the Baby Taylor while we were sailing from Rapa Nui to Tahiti.

This is the most satisfying sounding and playable guitar that I have ever owned. Mahalo nui loa,

Dennis Chun
Via the Internet

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2002 :  5:31:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage
I bought my Baby specifically to take to the late lamented slack key festivals in San Mateo a few years back. I played eleven at three different stores before settling on right one--there was a good deal of variation in sound and setup, and one that sounded great in standard tuning was less than great in taro patch.

Since then the Baby has worked fine for just about everything I've played on it--swing and high-strung (or Nashville tuning) fingerpicking as well as slack key. The only thing I'd advise is going up a gauge to keep the strings from going flabby when slacked. It travels very well on planes, and I got the hard case so I don't have to worry about what it encounters in the overhead bins, the way I did when it lived in a gig bag.

Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2002 :  7:08:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Has anyone compared the Baby Taylor to the Larrivee Parlor?

Craig
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2002 :  9:27:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
quote:
Has anyone compared the Baby Taylor to the Larrivee Parlor?

i like the larrivee parlor better. it has a little larger body which, to my ears, gives it a noticably fuller sound. my parlor is also a dream to play; only my rainsong is easier for me to barre, slide, and hammer-n-pull high up the neck. on the other hand, the baby taylor is more portable, almost as much as a martin backpacker but with a much fuller sound.

go try several of both and see what you think. maybe you'll fall in love with the tacoma papoose.

aloha,
keith

Go to Top of Page

kihoalukid
Lokahi

USA
289 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2002 :  9:29:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit kihoalukid's Homepage
seems i recall reading somewhere that rev kamakahi is playing a
baby t throughout the hui aloha album, in the cover photo it appears
thats what hes playin, wish i could make my baby sound like his haha

Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2002 :  01:37:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Kihoalukid - you're right about Dennis Kamakahi. I recall reading in the liner notes that he recorded with a Baby Taylor for many songs. If anyone is curious, check the Hui Aloha liner notes.

Personally, I also prefer the Larrivee parlor, but I have never actually played a Baby Taylor. I heard one or two played though and feel the Larrivee has a fuller sound which would be logical as the Larrivee is a larger instrument as Keith has pointed out. Agree with Keith again in that you need to try them to see what works best for you.

Andy

Ps. Russell, how was GK's workshop in Virginia?
Go to Top of Page

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2002 :  11:50:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage
I'll post a longish report over on the "lessons" section.

Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2002 :  12:57:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
quote:
seems i recall reading somewhere that rev kamakahi is playing a baby t throughout the hui aloha album, in the cover photo it appears
thats what hes playin, wish i could make my baby sound like his haha

he does make it sing, doesn't he? he is so good, without being overly fancy. i love that album. it was because of that album that i started trolling for a baby taylor... i fell in love with the larrivee parlor when i tried 'em out.

aloha,
keith

Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2002 :  02:07:48 AM  Show Profile
Must admit, I recently heard a couple of those little taylors at the aloha camp last week........factory perfect, and a really nice sound....and....carry on approved baby!, 'Taylor, fits in the overhead bin'

piffle
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2002 :  02:35:44 AM  Show Profile
One of the problems I encountered as a "smallish" female was finding a guitar I could get my arms around without my neck and shoulder freaking out. Keoki Brown allowed me to try out his Baby Taylor at Aloha Music Camp August 2001, and I had been searching for one ever since. Finally bought one in Santa Cruz and the salesman was able to track down a hard case for it. I LOVE IT. I can actually play the thing. Took it to George Kahumoku Jr.'s workshop on Maui in June, and Aloha Music Camp this August. I didn't let the conversation between Keola and the boys about "size does matter" bother me. I know what's right for me. Sheesh! Let them waste them comparing instruments, I'm busy playing. Heehee. Aloha, Julie

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000