Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Picked Vamp Key of 'F' while using Taropatch
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jmk
Lokahi

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2005 :  2:41:22 PM  Show Profile
Rather than strumming G7-C7-F, I was wondering if anyone has suggestions on how to fingerstyle a vamp when playing a song in the key of F while in Taropatch tuning.

Mahalo for any ideas.

Nahenahe

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2005 :  5:15:52 PM  Show Profile
Jeri,

I read you question a couple times to dicipher what you were really asking. When I think of "vamp" I think of the standard slack key turnaround. If I'm playing with Uke players in F, I will tune to Drop C and just play chords (F-Bb-C). If I need to play vamps and slack key stylings, I still go to Drop C, but capo to the 5th fret. The "vamp", counting from the capo is 2nd string 5th fret, 4th string 5th fret - to - 2nd string 3rd fret, 4th string 3rd fret - to - 2nd string 1st fret, 4th string 2nd fret (the F chord capoed at 5 playing a C shape chord). Hope this isn't too confusing.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2005 :  07:41:51 AM  Show Profile
To play in "F", in Taro Patch "G", I do one of 2 things. I either capo up to the 5th fret and play in "C" position, or I capo on the 3rd fret and play in "D" position. I discovered that if you can find the vamp ( turnaround sounds so "mainland" ), it's easy to figure out tunes. If "F" is really necessary, use "F-wahine" (check with Mark in the forum) or "D" or "D-wahine" capoed on the 3rd fret.
Go to Top of Page

jmk
Lokahi

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2005 :  7:03:07 PM  Show Profile
Mahalo Dave and Kory,

Yes, I was thinking turn-around, in the group I am playing with, we just call it vamp, they are the same. And yes, they are playing ukuleles and I am playing guitar. I can perhaps drop the #6 string to C, but there is not a lot of time for tuning. Now I need to work on learning how to play with the capo (unless I can ignore the #6 string?).

Thank you for being very helpful.

Aloha,
Jeri

Nahenahe
Go to Top of Page

BreezePlease
Akahai

Japan
86 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2005 :  8:17:15 PM  Show Profile
Jeri,

For a quick tuning switch from Taro Patch to Drop C (slacking #6 string to C or its equivalent for whatever absolute tuning you happen to be in), try synching the harmonic on #5 string, 12th frett, with the harmonic on #6 string, 7th fret.

Any of the other strings that may be pulled out of tune by this change are just chalked up to added musical "flavor"....

To go back to Taro Patch: synch the harmonic on #4 string, 12th fret, with the harmonic on #6 string, 5th fret.

HTH
-dean
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2005 :  5:12:37 PM  Show Profile
I must not be understanding the question.
Easiest way for me to play in key of F is to take G taropatch and just slack all the strings i whole step. You can then play as if you are playing in G, but you sound as if you are playing in F.
If the question is that you are playing with others and for 1 number they switch to F, the way George K. taught me is to pick a turnaround on the C shape on the first 2 frets, resolving to the first string 3rd fret, but you'll miss the C in the bass. You can also use a Bar at 5, and pick it from there. Maybe I'm missing something, though, 'cause I don';t often play with others.
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2005 :  5:27:12 PM  Show Profile
Since Jeri said there's not much time, then detuning her guitar is probably not an option to drop 6 strings a whole step. So I think detuning 1 string to C and using a capo at the 5th fret (even though you don't believe in that) is a better option.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

BreezePlease
Akahai

Japan
86 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2005 :  7:23:57 PM  Show Profile
Also, depending on how many numbers in your set are in F (or how ukulele-oriented your group may be), another option would be to do as Raymond suggested and slack Taro Patch to F, capoing on the 2nd fret whenever you need G. Drop C in this case would put you in Bb, also a nice key to sing in...

-dean
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2005 :  05:55:00 AM  Show Profile
dean,

That's a very good suggestion. I don't play with many uke players, but if I did I'd probably do that. Heaven forbid we should ask a uke player to capo to the second fret or play barre chords.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2005 :  06:12:43 AM  Show Profile
I'm with Raymond. My guitar prefers Taro Patch F (this seems to be common with Goodalls, as I know that Keith Marzullo tunes his to F) and I capo up two frets to do G.
Go to Top of Page

Crotalus
Aloha

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2005 :  2:21:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Crotalus's Homepage
I usually keep my guitar tuned to taropatch F also then capo to G when I need it. It's more in my singing range (when no one is listening). I've done this while playing with a group of ukuleles for quick changes.
Go to Top of Page

jmk
Lokahi

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2005 :  4:27:41 PM  Show Profile
Aloha kâkou!

Mahalo for the help, it is appreciated.

Once again this website is an excellent service.

Nahenahe
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000