Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 And the 2005 Hawaiian Music Grammy went to...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2005 :  1:23:40 PM  Show Profile
Hawaiian Slack Key - Vol 2
http://www.mele.com/v3/info/2781.htm

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2005 :  1:26:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Auntie - you're so quick! I was just searching for this.

For real?!?! I thought the taropatch members were biased voting this album as their favored winner. I guess they knew something!

This is huge! Congrats to all the nominees and the winner!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2005 :  7:32:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage
We should also note that Mark Hanson gets some fraction of a Grammy for his contributions to the Mancini tribute, "Pink Guitar," which won for Best Pop Instrumental Album. He shares it with Doug Smith, Pat Donohue, Mike Dowling, and Lawrence Juber, among others. It was a good night for pickers, I guess. Huzzah!
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2005 :  7:53:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
'Slack Key Guitar' wins first Hawaiian Grammy
http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2005/Feb/13/br/br01p.html

By Derek Paiva
Advertiser Entertainment Writer

And the Grammy goes to ... kii ho'alu.
The instrumental multi-artist compilation "Slack Key Guitar, Vol. 2" won the first-ever Grammy award in the Hawaiian Music Album category today. The award was given out in an untelevised ceremony at the Los Angeles Convention Center just before the prime time Grammy awards telecast at the neighboring Staples Center.

The compilation's producer Charles Michael Brotman - who also played on the record - accepted the award.

"I thought we might win, but I was also prepared for any of the other nominees to win because they're all so fantastic," said Brotman, backstage, shortly after winning. "When our name was announced, well, we basically all jumped up, screamed and ran up on stage."

Joining Brotman on stage to accept the Grammy were musicians Sonny Lim, Ken Emerson and Jeff Peterson, three of the 12 slack-key guitar players featured on the record.

All were dressed in tuxedos - Brotman's accented with a triple-strand ilima lei. Brotman thanked his sister and Palm Records co-partner Jody Brotman, distributor The Mountain Apple Co., the compilation's nine other guitarists and the Recording Academy for honoring Hawaiian music with the category.

"I said that I knew we wouldn't be here if it wasn't for past generations of musicians in Hawai'i that dedicated their lives to music," said Brotman, recalling his acceptance speech. "It's their creativity and hard work that has made Hawaiian music what it is today. And what it is is a living, evolving art form that embodies the Hawaiian culture."

Guitarist Lim translated Brotman's words into the Hawaiian language for the audience. Also nominated in the new category were "Some Call It Aloha ... Don't Tell" by the Brothers Cazimero, "Amy & Willie Live" by Amy Hanaiali'i Gilliom and Willie K, "Cool Elevation" by Ho'okena and Keali'i Reichel's "Ke'alaokamaile."
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2005 :  9:01:36 PM  Show Profile
We're thrilled for the winners and nominees...
Karen and I caught a show at Hapuna Beach Resort with Sonny Lim and his sister...wonderful evening.
They were already thrilled to be nominated and going to the awards...

Now to find the cd we should have bought on the Big Island. Where is the best site that returns the most to the artists? We saw it at the airport, but wondered how much of the 20 bucks they would receive.

Anyway, I guess we're slack key groupies...
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2005 :  03:17:19 AM  Show Profile
You can purchase directly from the record label's website:
http://www.palmrecords.com/

Auntie Maria
===================
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2005 :  06:33:03 AM  Show Profile
From the front page of today's Honlulu Star-Bulletin (article & photos):
http://starbulletin.com/2005/02/14/news/story1.html

Auntie Maria
===================

Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2005 :  06:50:20 AM  Show Profile
This is outstanding. I guess John Berger will have to rethink his lousy review of the album in the latest issue of Hawaii magazine - heh, heh..

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

islandboo
Lokahi

USA
237 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2005 :  08:19:23 AM  Show Profile
Oh, I don't know that it was a lousy review - I think he had a valid point about the paucity of liner notes. That disc could have come with a nice fat booklet packed with info about all the songs and artists. I still enjoy the disc tremendously however, and I am glad it won (it's taking a victory lap on my iMac right now).
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2005 :  08:30:17 AM  Show Profile
YAAAAAAAAHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, great news for Slack Key. I think slack key best represents the many colors of Hawiian music out there today.
-slkho
Go to Top of Page

Konabob
`Olu`olu

USA
928 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2005 :  08:32:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Konabob's Homepage  Send Konabob an AOL message
And here is a great photo of some of these fine fellows... http://www.cnn.com/interactive/entertainment/0502/gallery.grammy/content.2.12.html

Konabob's Walkingbass - http://www.konawalkingbass.com
Taropatch Steel - http://www.konaweb.com/konabob/
YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=Konabob2+Walkingbass
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2005 :  08:38:47 AM  Show Profile
And John Keawe plays "Keiki Slack Key" on this one

All of the songs on this CD are terrific -- a real keeper!

Ken Emmerson (teaches Kiholau on Kauai) has two great songs on the album as well.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2005 :  1:21:44 PM  Show Profile
Now I will make real enemies, but I think what I have to say needs to be said.
Consider for a moment the other CD's in the category.
K. Reichel's Ke'alaokammaile was a carefully thought out, beautifully assembled, exquistely performed "themed" album by one of Hawaii's premier singers at the near peak of his form.
Amy and Willie K's album was a "greatest hits" by a one of the best falsetto singers currently performing, again, at the peak of her form, with superb musicianship by Willie K and a lead guitar that could easily handle a solo gig. (My only quibble was it's a "live" recording, but some people feel that is a plus. Even as a live recording, technical quality was not lacking.))
Brothers Caz - a 30 years "greatest hits" by one of the most influential groups in the "Hawaiian Renaissance." Some might not like their style, but within that style of playing, it was (mostly) superb.
Which brings me to the slack key anthology that won the first Hawaiian grammy. Well, I thought and still think that "Slack Key Guitar Vol. I" was an award winning disk. Frankly, I was mildly disappointed by Vol. II. I don't think, for the most part, it was among the best that these artists produced. In fact, as an Academy member, I would have loved to vote for a slack key album, but frankly, I thought, and still do, that it just wasn't as good as the other albums up for vote.
Now, please, if you've listened to the other 3 album and disagree with me, I would like to hear your opinions. If you haven't listened to the other three, please do so -- they are great albums.
Go to Top of Page

Bill Neubauer
Aloha

USA
34 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2005 :  4:20:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Neubauer's Homepage
Snow started melting all around me when I found out that a Slack Key CD won a Grammy! As soon as I got to work, I e-mailed the news to everyone of my co-workers that had bought my CD and told them, "See - I'm onto something and you're in on it!" Can we all vote for "many more!" ?

Kika Pila
Go to Top of Page

KenL
Aloha

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2005 :  6:58:10 PM  Show Profile
Raymond, I agree with your assesment somewhat, as everyone on this slack album deserves recognition. They are all very talented. However. I thought Kealii or the Brothers would get the Grammy because of one main ingredient. Language. I've had the utmost respect for slack key for over 50 years and love it with all my heart. But the heart and soul of Hawaiian music lies with the spoken word. People think that mainlanders show more appreciation for slack than Hawai'i people. Not so. Islanders value all Hawaiian music but the language is very important to them. Slack key instrumentals have been popular on the mainland for many years and so it was only natural that the voters who mostly reside on the mainland would lean towards it. It is a very good first step though, and hopefully other artists fromm Hawai'i will be recognized in the future.

Manapua no ka oi
Go to Top of Page

slackkeymike
Lokahi

440 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2005 :  6:59:35 PM  Show Profile
That was so great! My wife who never heard of slack key yells to me in the other room that slack won a grammy...!!!

It may not be all that everyone wants, and some are being overlooked...but that is changing and it is time to jump on the train and stop questioning whether the right engine has been attached!!

RJS, sometimes, seem too serious. Does K. Reichel deserve credit? or Brother Iz? you bettcha...and that time is coming. This grammy was a crack in the ice. Hawaiin folk music is about to be recognized. Hang ten and ride the wave.

Peace, (still looking for how to say "peace" in Hawaiin, and please, don't tell me it is Aloha!!)

Mike

Aloha, Mike

Edited by - slackkeymike on 02/14/2005 7:05:24 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000