Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Good Uke recordings
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PoiBoi
Aloha

3 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2005 :  11:14:32 AM  Show Profile
I have recently dusted off my uke (okay, the case) to try and enjoy that wonderful insrument more. I will be starting lessons soon, so that will help. I have a ton of slack key guitar CDs, but I know comparatively little about uke recordings and performers. I was wondering what are some opinions regarding "must have" ukulele CDs. Also, are there any compilation CDs like Dancing Cat's Masters of Slack Key guitar for uke? Thanks for any info!

Pops
Lokahi

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2005 :  2:42:50 PM  Show Profile
I would heartily recommend "The Art of Solo 'Ukulele" which was put out by the Honolulu Academy of the Arts a couple of years back. Also, just in case you don't have any of the Sons of Hawaii recordings featuring Eddie Kamae - get them. They're wonderful. Hui Aloha, which features David Kamakahi, on ukulele, is a great CD, too.
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2005 :  7:31:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
If you're interested in Hawaiian music, I suggest giving a listen to any of the solo albums by Israel Kamakawiwo'ole, especially the songs that are mostly just uke and vocals. He's best known for "Over the Rainbow/Wonderful World", but does beautiful and haunting renditions of many Hawaiian songs. Those songs give you a sense of the simple beauty you can find in the ukulele.
If you are interested in fingerpicking the uke as part of a group, I would also mention David Kamakahi, who has a solo album, but also plays on some of his dad's records like the previously mentioned Hui Aloha album.
Herb Ohta Jr. takes arranging and solo fingerpicking to a high art and he has a couple CDs out. His father, Ohta-san, has many recordings which tend to be a little on the jazzy side.
If you like contemporary Hawaiian (including reggae uke), you might want to try groups like Pure Heart, Opihi Pickers, Keahiwai. Still fun, and a little less reggae, are the Ka'au Crater Boys which featured the masterful Troy Fernandez, who can pick faster than almost anybody. My favorite Ka'au Crater Boys is "Valley Style".
Good luck,
Jesse Tinsley

Edited by - hapakid on 02/15/2005 7:34:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

PoiBoi
Aloha

3 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2005 :  06:43:48 AM  Show Profile
Those are all great suggestions, just what I was looking for! I forgot to mention I have lots of IZ's CDs that I of course love. I guess it goes without saying, what Hawaiian music collection is complete without IZ? But now I have a better idea of what other uke soloists and styles are out there. I've heard all the names, but didn't really know anyone's styles or where to start, it can be pretty overwhelming. I'm into Celtic music too and it's sort of the same deal. I've given up getting new Irish and Scottish CDs, there's just so many. Anyway, I think it's time for another trip to the Hawaiian section of the music store! Thanks ya!
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2005 :  07:08:57 AM  Show Profile
Well there's Herb Ohta Jr., Keoki Kahumoku, David Kamakahi, Ohta-San, etc, etc...
Check out http://www.mele.com then click on Shop for CDs then choose the `Ukulele link.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Tonya
Lokahi

USA
177 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2005 :  11:15:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tonya's Homepage
How about "Legends of the Ukulele: Hawaiian Masters?" and "Ukulele Magic, Hawaiian Style"? James Hill doesn't "do" Hawaiian, but his ukulele artistry ("On the Other Hand" and "Playing It Like It Isn't") is phenomenal, too.

http://www.uketreasures.com
http://www.ukuleletonya.com
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2005 :  1:43:49 PM  Show Profile
There is a "Legends of the Ukulele, Hawaiian Masters" CD that features Daniel Ho, Ken Emerson, Opihi Pickers (Imua Garza), Lyle Ritz, Ohta-San, Kimo Hussey, Jake Shimabukuro, Nedward Kaapana, and others. It is by Hana Ola Records, produced in 2003. (web site: www.cordinternational.com)

Another is "Hidden Treasures, Ukulele Stylings" (number one and number 2). My favorite is #2 with Gordon Mark playing Hi'ilawe and Ku'uipo. It is by Pa'ani Records, Honolulu Hawaii.

If you want to hear how versatile an ukulele can be you should check out any of Jake Shimabukuro or Daniel Ho's CDs. Both of them can get some amazing sounds out of just four strings.

And for a speed rush listen to Jake Shimabukuro play "Crazy G" and keep chanting faster, faster, faster!

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2005 :  1:44:28 PM  Show Profile
oops
I agree with Tonya!

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

KenL
Aloha

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2005 :  6:34:32 PM  Show Profile
May be hard to find but anything by Jesse Kalima is worthwhile.

Manapua no ka oi
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000