Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 O' Side Open Mic @ L&L
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2005 :  12:15:16 PM  Show Profile
To SoCal Slackers
Feb. 16th, 2005 open mic 6-8pm @ L&L BBQ Oceanside at the corner of Oceanside Blvd. & College. The place is tiny, with a small elevated stage,(also tiny) all the sound equipment is there already.
That same week on Sunday, Keith will be performing at E-Street Cafe in Encinitas once again, not sure of the time however.
From the south (S.D.) Take the 15 north, to the 78 west, exit College, head north to the Oceanside blvd...its in the plaza there.
If you take the 5 north, or south, exit the 78 east, exit College up to Oceanside bl.
-slkho

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2005 :  05:06:31 AM  Show Profile
Aloha all -
Keith will be at E-street 2 - 4
auntie

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2005 :  2:03:29 PM  Show Profile
So that is:

Keith Marzullo will be at the
E Street Cafe (on E Street off of Pacific Hwy)
from 1400-1600
on Sunday, 20 February 2005

And we can hear Slkho play Radio Hula tonight at L&L in Oceanside

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2005 :  05:16:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
aloha e kaua,

we had a great time at L&L last night! this may turn into the new meeting place of SCSKS (aka MAHWPHMS = "middle-aged haoles who play hawaiian music society", as the chunk monk put it). it lacks the gently decaying ambiance of the M3 coffee house and there's less body piercing, but the owner is a samoan
wahine with a big heart and who, when listening to terry, exclaimed "you guys rock!" (shucks!) her only complaint was that we didn't turn the amp up loud enough to be heard by people walking by.

don, terry, rik, dusty and i all took turns, and it all sounded good. braddah ken and sistah sheila played coy, but we'll push them up early next time. the place was packed, and customers lingered to hear us play, and there was applause. no food fights sprung up.

the main topic of conversation was, as usual, the utter supremacy of goodall guitars.

aloha,
keith

Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2005 :  06:37:21 AM  Show Profile
TPers, Keith said it all; SCSKS no ka oi - BTW now that he's gigging with Kevin Brown in Hawaii, you should catch his act. I'm still trying to figure out when he has the time to learn this many standards. He is the embodiment of what average folk can do with practice and concentration.
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2005 :  08:00:08 AM  Show Profile
Wish I had gone. I was studying with the Kealani'a Uke Pickers to beef up my ukulele skills -- imagine a guitar with ONLY FOUR NYLON STRINGS -- hana hou ! Learned alot from Uncle George (?) about playing chord inversions and octaves instead of the same old "chang-a-lang" as he called it. What a lovely group of folks that love to sing and hula!

Would like to play a duet with one of you guys some time in C Wahine. Anyone know both parts to Keola's version of Akaka Falls?. I can play nylon or steel string for good balance. Maybe a trio if I could learn a nice ukulele accomp.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2005 :  09:29:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
hey, the chunksters is being too modest - he's gigging out these days too! and, unlike me, he composes! (so does don; i just decompose slowly).

aloha,
keith
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2005 :  10:19:40 AM  Show Profile
Good times to be had by all at the L&L open mic. Keith, Dusty, Terry, and Don dazzled us all. Sarona, who manages the L&L really like our playing and asked us to come back. In addition, would like us to play at her resturant's one year anniversary on 2/26th..not if members can make it however. I'm also trying to get a gig for us at Kealani's in O'side in March, (details to follow).
I am continually amazed at the quality of playing by Keith, Dusty, Terry, and Don. I was watching them closely, trying to capture some small kernal of fingering, but alas, my brain is too small. (gotta find a bigger one!) Anyways, you guys are my hero's. I'm tempted to have Keith & Dusty sign my guitar...hmmmm?
Plenty of Goodall's to go around, they all sound great, so did the Rainsong!!
Mike there is a 4-string guitar called a quattro (sic). If you learn the inversions from Uncle George you'll miles ahead in your Ukulele development, he's an excellent teacher.
-slkho
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2005 :  10:22:19 AM  Show Profile
P.S.
Oh I forgot, Brudda Ken was there also, as was Craig (cpatch) with his beautiful daughter Rachel
-slkho
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2005 :  09:50:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Rachel was bummed Auntie Nancy wasn't there but happy to see everyone else.

BTW, Rick's secret to great playing is to play so quietly that nobody can hear him and then claim he played something really complicated like "Radio Hula".

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 02/18/2005 09:53:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2005 :  12:03:51 PM  Show Profile
Much aloha Craig (and of course everyone else!!)
If Rachel is attending, I will do my best to get down there. That's a long drive - especially at the height of traffic, But I could go window shopping or something and come down a bit earlier. That'd be fun- it's all fun. But if anyone stands me up there before I've been to Camp, there will be serious consequences!!
I will be driving down and back for the HAPA concert tomorrow night.
Hugs to all!!!
PS: Since y'all call yourselves Southern California Slack Key Society, would any of you help Doug and me get a South Bay kani ka pila off the ground?
aloha!!
auntie

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2005 :  12:08:09 PM  Show Profile
Sh-h-h Craig, don't let my trade secrets out! ha ha
Actually, when I play someone always turns off the amps so they can't hear my nails on the blackboard playing.EEEWWWWWWWWWE!!!.
It was good to finally see you come out in public after so long. I was wondering if you saw your shadow or not, so we can predict a long cold winter or not. yuk-yuk
-rik
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2005 :  12:14:15 PM  Show Profile
Kanikapila with the L.A. SoCal Slackers?!! (LASCS) Hmmm-mm that sounds interesting...when?
-slkho
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2005 :  12:27:28 PM  Show Profile
Hey silly Rik!!
We're part of Southern California!! Look at the map. Maybe we could be another chapter, or calabash cousins or? No date, but we'll sure call you to come help!!!!
You been practicing???
aunite

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2005 :  09:52:39 AM  Show Profile
Nancy, of course its SoCal silly, just in L.A./O.C.....San Diego is special & unique all by itself.
BTW, check your phone voicemail today.
-slkho
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2005 :  10:25:37 AM  Show Profile
Rik and I will be filling the 11:30 - 12:30 spot at the Oceanside L&L anniversary celebration on this Saturday 2/26.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000