Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Taropatch.net Miscellaneous
 Announcements, Feedback, Suggestions
 Equipment/software review suggestion
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

akahele
Aloha

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2005 :  9:52:54 PM  Show Profile
Andy,
I've seen various reviews of software tools (Tabledit etc) and recording equipment occasionally appear in different threads. What might be nice is to have a setup like the instruction forum where each piece of software/hardware is listed separately just like the books and videos are currently listed. Then users could add their reviews and this info would be easily accessible to all. I personally would like to see a section on notation software - I've tried Tabledit but would like to see reviews of other similar tools. I'd also like to see reviews on Transcribe (and similar software applications.) Maybe this section could be organized by type of tool/equipment such as portable recorders, mics, notation software etc. This way one could "shop" within a category for the information they need. I know I could search the existing posts but if I don't know exactly what I'm looking for it can be somewhat difficult to find - for example if I wanted information on a particular microphone I could use the make/model info in the search engine but if all I wanted was all microphone reviews then that search becomes somewhat more tedious. I know there is a wealth of experience and great advice floating around in this community, I'm just looking for an easier way to access that knowledge.

Mahalo,
Clif

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2005 :  07:22:35 AM  Show Profile
Yes Clif,

That has been talked about too, with some of us suggesting a Forum topic with a Title like "Gear" (like AG Magazine uses), which would then cover all kinds of Gear including accessories. We could be creative and find a nice synonym for "Gear" with a slighly different feeling, too. "Toys", "Equipment", or maybe a Hawaiian word.

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2005 :  07:31:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
I was thinking "Gear" myself... any other suggestions?

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2005 :  07:50:26 AM  Show Profile
"Da Kine Stuffs" :-)

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2005 :  08:31:41 AM  Show Profile
The Treasure Chest

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2005 :  08:39:06 AM  Show Profile
Slack Hardware.
Nuts & Bolts.
Slack Gear.
ToolBox

-slkho
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2005 :  08:40:37 AM  Show Profile
I like Reid's title, but to make it clear to Haoles we could do this:

"Da kine stuffs (Gear)"

But Hawaiian words rather than pidgin still might be nicer.

maybe "Ke (Ne?) Mekanika (Gear)"

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 02/16/2005 08:56:31 AM
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2005 :  10:49:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Clif - thanks for the suggestions. And thanks to everyone for the feedback.

I just set it up as "Da Kine Music Gear" - it can always be changed. Also email me or post here if there are posts that you think should be moved into there. Mahalo.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2005 :  11:00:30 AM  Show Profile
Lawrence,

I have absolutely no skin in this action (I just thought it was fun), but I have long ago come to one of my usual hardass general conclusions: if na haole can't hack either Hawaiian or Pidgin - tough tuchus (that's not Hawaiian, either :-). Let 'em learn - it will make them better people. Pidgin is easy to figure out anyway, and it is a very expressive language.

In addition, "Mekanika", and almost any other thing I can think of along that line, is just a transliteration from English, so, why not go whole hog and just use English?

If you want an approved Hawaiian word, it should probably be "lako", coined by Kaliko dem in Makaka Kaiao, meaning equipment, or the redup. form: lakolako meaning accessories. But lako is usually used with an adjective defining what kind of lako, which may not make a lot of difference. If Sarah has some time, I'll get her to tell me how off-base I am.

My $.07 (lots of inflation in CT, lately)

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2005 :  11:58:41 AM  Show Profile
Cool Andy,

I'll post a personal equipment list in a day or two then everyone can beat me up with questions. I thrive on abuse.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2005 :  06:44:45 AM  Show Profile
To Big Dog - you ought to approach Patrick about doing some classes on home recording, mixing and the like for the next rendition of the Bay Area Music Institute. While this might be considered a stretch for the Institute, I'm convinced that there are a lot of TPers who want this info. I'm interested in learning how to do this, but I have a hard time following the TP posts - too much disjointed info and opinions from too many contributors.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000