Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 Misc equipment questions
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2005 :  09:34:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
I've been window (computer) shopping for guitars and accessories lately and was hoping for some TP.net feedback...
Does anyone have an acoustic-electric with a built-in tuner? I've only seen it on Takamine guitars, but I'm curious about others and if anyone has an opinion on them.
I was looking at the acoustic Wechter guitar that is equipped with three different pickups and was wondering if any taropatchers have tried to play slack key on it. I wonder if it performs like a true acoustic guitar and how it sounds amplified.
Also, what effects do most slack key performers use when amplified? I know there are some part-time performers here and would be interested in their opinions about using stomp box/rack effects on a solo acoustic guitar.
I have a lot of questions, but I'll spread them out so the thread doesn't get too bogged down.
Mahalo,
Jesse Tinsley

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2005 :  09:45:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
The one effect I hear used most often is echo or delay. Led has made it a part of his sound for years.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2005 :  1:45:35 PM  Show Profile
I saw a Tacoma with a small tuner just inside the lip of the sound hole. It had it's own battery and was very handy. I don't know the brand, but it was an after market add-on. I used the guitar and the tuner seemed to work well; very small l.e.d. indicating pitch.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2005 :  3:32:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by chunky monkey

I saw a Tacoma with a small tuner just inside the lip of the sound hole. It had it's own battery and was very handy. I don't know the brand, but it was an after market add-on. I used the guitar and the tuner seemed to work well; very small l.e.d. indicating pitch.

Perhaps it's a Wittman tuner? Check this post. I got one off of ebay and it works well. You just have to be willing to stick it and a 9v battery inside your guitar.

I think this is what Keola Beamer uses inside his Grimes. Fran Guidry got me interested in the Wittman.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Bing
Lokahi

USA
100 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2005 :  5:28:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bing's Homepage
I agree with Andy, I have a whittman tuner in my guitar and it works great. I had a problem with the tape that came with it not sticking very well but when I switched it to Scotch double face tape from my local drug store it was perfect. The only thing is when you travel you should take the battery out so that it doesn't come loose and bang around inside the guitar. I put duck tape around the battery to make it keep from moving around in it's bracket.

Bing
Go to Top of Page

Darin
Lokahi

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2005 :  11:41:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Darin's Homepage
As for delay pedals, the Line 6 DL4 is true bypass (signal does not run through any processors if the effect is disengaged) and the most expensive. The Boss pedals degrade signal slightly, and I've broken 3. I don't recommend them.

Darin
http://www.hawaiiguitar.com/
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2005 :  12:53:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by dl584

As for delay pedals, the Line 6 DL4 is true bypass (signal does not run through any processors if the effect is disengaged) and the most expensive.
Darin and this new forum are going to result in my purchasing more (non-Christmas) toys. Good for the economy!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Konabob
`Olu`olu

USA
928 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2005 :  5:03:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Konabob's Homepage  Send Konabob an AOL message
For a while, Dennis Kamakahi was using a synth-string peddle. While interesting, I am just as glad that he moved on. I have tried various "chorus" peddles with my acoustic steel, and I have one that I like the sound of. Sadly, it is not well designed and there is a bit of white noise when you turn it up a little. Boss does make one fantastic peddle - the tuner!
http://www.bossus.com/index.asp?pg=1&tmp=60

Konabob's Walkingbass - http://www.konawalkingbass.com
Taropatch Steel - http://www.konaweb.com/konabob/
YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=Konabob2+Walkingbass

Edited by - Konabob on 02/18/2005 7:41:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

Darin
Lokahi

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2005 :  05:39:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Darin's Homepage
One more goodie to add to the bunch. If I only had one piece of gear to compliment a guitar, it would be an LR Baggs Para Acoustic DI. It makes guitars bigger, crisper, cleaner.

http://lrbaggs.com/html/products/preamps_paradi.shtml

Darin
http://www.hawaiiguitar.com/
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2005 :  08:03:52 AM  Show Profile
Darin,

The PADI is really worth the money (which is not lots in the scheme of things), especially if you have a Baggs active bridge plate pickup installed - that pickup really needs it. (Just an observation: I have never heard *any* pickup sound like the guitar it is attached to, which is why there is so much disputation about the devices: I had luthier friends tell me to install this one and that one and they all sucked).

We never thought we would need one, but time marched on, so I had the Baggs pickup installed in one of our Goodalls so that Sarah could gig with a guitar she was familiar with. I chose it simply for its simplicity of installation. Alone, into an amp, it sounded terrible. Then, I put the PADI in line and tweaked the EQ knobs appropriately and brought the sound back to a very near semblance of the original. Something that Sarah could be proud of.

In addition, its preamp made the power amp's boost nearly unnecessary in a small space (the earlier, and quieter, in the signal chain the boost is, the better). It's controls could also considerably override the power amp's, so that is one way to have all the control in your hands - the artist's hands, not the sound man's or the house sound. I noticed that Barry had one at the Maui Slack Key Fest and he continually tweaked his sound the way he wanted it and cut through the "average" mix that the soundman had decided upon.

Finally, the XLR output lets you have long quiet cable runs.

...Reid

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000