Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 Transcribing software
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

akahele
Aloha

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2005 :  9:37:09 PM  Show Profile
OK this is the last post for the night - I'm waiting for the new strings on my guitar to settle in (see the string breakage thread.) Anyway another question on software - this one being for lack of a better name, transcribing software or the program you would use to slow a piece of music down for the purpose of figuring it out. I've seen two programs recommended, Transcribe and the Amazing Slow Downer (I think that's what its called.) Any thoughts? Strengths or weaknesses of each? Any other programs out there? In this case, I'm looking for something to run on the computer - a stand alone box would be nice but from what I've seen it appears that one pays substantially for that portability. I can live with using my computer. I've tried the trial version of Transcribe and it seems like the Cadillac version of this type of software - nice windows to help correlate a particular pitch to fretboard or keyboard, a frequency spectrum display (brings back memories of the engineering days...) and I can really slow things down so my feeble brain has a glimmer of hope of figuring something out. So my main question is do I stop looking and just buy this program or is there a better option out there?

Mahalo,
Clif

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2005 :  07:49:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Audacity (http://audacity.sourceforge.net/) is a free audio editor which allows changing pitch and/or tempo.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2005 :  07:55:14 AM  Show Profile
Clif,
I have a Windows 2000 machine. I use TablEdit v 2.64 on my PC to write tablature. It has some nice features to transpose or take one tuning and move the fingerings (while keeping the notes/melody the same) to the new tuning. You can create your own tunings and the software makes recommendations and shows you awkward fingerings. It can be alot of work but the printouts are nice. I like it better than PowerTab. There is also a Mac version. You can find it at:
http://www.tabledit.com/

I have been using Transkriber from Reed Kotler to slow down recorded music to pick out the notes and transcribe my own tablature of favorite songs. It helps if you know the tunings.
http://www.reedkotlermusic.com/rkm/transkriber.htm

No all in one package that I know of. Neither one of these is free for the full version but I think they still have demo versions you can download.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000