Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 Slackdog - What I use
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2005 :  3:12:58 PM  Show Profile
Uhhh.... Dave, JWN impelled me to look at your pic an' I come all over confuse... So, who is the guy with "ANTS" on his shirt and who is the guy with "FRANCI" on his shirt? So is that a pic of Ants and Frankie? Somehow, somebody is named Meanhaller. Does that mean someone is mean and screams? Could you please explain? Is this a message for the rest of us? So, what gives?

And,JWN, is that a pic of you in long distance on top da boat? If so,I am terribly jealous. If you think *that* is nippy, we could maybe work out a trade deal. And....a player to be named later (maybe "Ants" or "Francis" who might be utility infielders, outfielders, or hotdog eaters). No wonder there is no place like home...for some of us.

I know, life is not fair, except, if you are a republicrat, and then I am *totally* responsible for being born and living in the only place in Amurrica that uses Number 2 Oil for heating my house (at least I have one)- at gasoline prices.

Man...talk about location, location, location.

...Reid (who wears wool socks to bed at night)
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2005 :  3:23:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Gee Dave, you told me you used a tin can and a string.....

For the benefit of those scratching their heads over the gear talk, I'd suggest making a list of the stuff Dave listed, then spend some time searching your friendly on-line pro-audio dealer's website and read about what the various things are and what they do.

You'll find that the gear falls into some fairly basic categories: stuff to hear sounds, stuff to move sounds from one place to another, stuff to record the sounds; stuff to dink around with the sounds after you've recorded them.

So here's Dave's list:

1) Stuff to hear sounds: all the microphones, plus the mic-pres, the monitors (which are nothing more than speakers -- love those NS-10s. Sound like sh*t, responsible for a gazillion gold records). And yes, the cables....

2) stuff to move sounds around: the Mackie VLZ & Yamaha 01V mixers, the 888/24 interface (OK, it's also a "digitizer" but I'm trying to be basic here.) The patchbay. The Cooper CS-10 is a "software mixer" that interacts with the software -- think of it as a mouse on steroids. I'll lump it here, too.

3) stuff to record sounds: the ProTools Mix system, the Mac. This stuff will also let you put the sounds somewhere else -- such as a finished CD, MP3 file, whatrever.

4) stuff to dink around with the sounds: everything else, mostly. This category can be further cut into: stuff to mess with the dynamics (AKA compressors/limetor/gates: the plug-ins, the distressors -- (wow, didn't know you had those! They rock!) and stuff to add "ambience" like reverb, delay -- the Lexicon MPX-1.

Broken down that way, you can start to get a handle on what you would need to learn, as well as what you'll need to, ahem, buy.

The good news is that just about any of the current USB or Firewire interfaces plus a software bundle (often sold together) will do all of these tasks for you, for not much dough. I'm a big fan of the Digi stuff, ditto Mark of the Unicorn. RThe little Leicon deal is a solid winner. Haven't tried the Mackie, but I'll bet it's good. M Audio makes very good stuff. Ditto PreSonus.

Just about any computer built in the last 4 years can handle the task. Laptops are nice because they are, generally, quieter than desktops. (smaller fans, mostly. Cute, too.) We are starting to see bus-powered interfaces with phantom power (needed for condensor mics) so you can do pro-level mutitrack remote recording on your laptop at your favorite waterfall, beach, biker bar.

Tho' I hate the cheap junky lousy boxy-sounding flimsy ugly harsh strident $99 condensor mics coming in from China (opinionated??? Moi???) you can buy a decent recording mic for, ahhhh, not much money. I'll let you guys fight out what's the best guitar mic -- but ya can't go wrong with Dave's list.

So get out there and make some tracks!

yr friendly recording elf.
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2005 :  5:18:19 PM  Show Profile
Reid,

I try to rotate my profile pictures. JWN caught hold of it while back. He does the same thing. Anyway, I love baseball and for many years I have participated in Giants Fantasy Camp in Scottsdale (didn't go this year). That's a picture of me and the late Tom Haller (recently died from West Nile Virus). I still play and manage an old guys team in an old guys league in the Bay Area. Baseballs are very hard on the fingernails. Oh, well...

Dave

Edited by - `Ilio Nui on 02/22/2005 5:19:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2005 :  5:23:50 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Tho' I hate the cheap junky lousy boxy-sounding flimsy ugly harsh strident $99 condensor mics coming in from China (opinionated??? Moi???)

Yes - and some of those cheap Russian condensers are pretty harsh too... (but I don't hold any opinions either).

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2005 :  6:51:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Since we brought up condenser mics, is it important to have a large diameter condenser mic among your mike selection? Is that generally a vocal mic? If the cheap ones are harsh and unpleasing, can anyone review a few of the less expensive ones?
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000