Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 Recording on the cheap
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2005 :  06:07:18 AM  Show Profile
I thought I'd run down a project I did over the weekend to illustrate recording on the cheap. I was paid to travel to a friends house to show how to use his software, set up mics, and do recordings. He will eventually start sending me files so I can mix, edit, and master his slack key CD.

His set-up consisted of an AKG C-1000 mic and a NADY CM90 ($60, http://www.instrumentpro.com/P-NADCM90.html ). I had listened to some of his previous recordings and thought a room mic should be added (of course I always think a room mic should be added), so I brought along an AT 4033. This is a large diaphragm mic that was touted to be the best thing since sliced bread for instruments and voice. It isn't, but it's a great room mic. So much for buying on specs, but it was cheap ($200). Had I not brought that I would have brought an AKG C-3000. He already had a PreSonus Tube mic pre ($99, http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Comp16/ ) that we used on the AT 4033.

He uses an HP computer (fairly new, but I don't know the speed) and his recording interface is a Lexicon Omega Studio ($300 at Sweetwater http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Omega/ ) The software that came with it is called ProTracks. A clunky program, but it works. The Lexi now comes with Cubase LE which is a more intuitive and better program.

After fiddling with mic placement and levels for a couple hours, we decided that the C-1000 should be aimed at the middle of the lower bout, at approximately 6 inches. The Nady, which is an extremely hot mic (somewhat a Neumann KM-184 knock-off) was placed about 14 inches away from the 10th fret and aimed directly at the 12th. The room mic was placed in the middle of the field at approximately 6 feet.

After tracking down a low-end rumble in the recording (the furnace heat pump which we turn off during recording), we made some remarkably good recordings. We exported those tracks as 24 bit wave files, burned them to CD and I brought them home. After I transferred them to my system, I was more than pleasantly pleased with the results.

Except for the computer and the loan of a good room mic, his whole system is around $800 and he can now record pro-quality material. Plus, we were able to make do with what he already had (OK we had to go to a music store and buy another mic stand)

Happy Recording

Dave

Edited by - `Ilio Nui on 03/15/2005 08:18:20 AM

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2005 :  06:54:48 AM  Show Profile
Good Report Dave...

This should encourage a few other folks.

"furnace heat pump" sounds like a radiant heating system.

So you were in Sunnyvale then?

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 03/15/2005 06:55:41 AM
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2005 :  07:26:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
I know who the "friend" is. Ha ha.

Thanks for posting, Dave. This is encouraging. Thanks for sharing your experiences again and also naming the specific equipment used. When I read stuff online, I rarely see sample setups listed. All too often it is specific equipment being discussed. I really like to see how each component is used within the context of the full rig. Then I have some reference for how things work together and can also aspire to mimic what someone else is doing. Or choose to substitute here and there.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2005 :  08:23:28 AM  Show Profile
My lips are sealed. As Sgt Schultz would say, "I know nothing". Sure, Sunnyvale.

Thanks for the input. I was really surprized at the Nady CM90. At that price, I think I'll buy a few for emsemble recording. That puppy's got some volume and it's pretty darn clean.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2005 :  10:30:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
FYI, I also found this very helpful: Home Recording Demystified: Free 3-Part Video Tutorial

Actually, I'm really impressed by the quality of the entire www.acousticplayermagazine.com project.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2005 :  11:28:28 AM  Show Profile
Yep, good stuff Andy

Dave
Go to Top of Page

David
Akahai

92 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2005 :  12:16:56 PM  Show Profile  Send David an ICQ Message
Andy, I've also enjoyed Acoustic Player Magazine, and the contributions of Little Brother (Doug Jones). I beleive that he was involved in the creation of the site. He's the fellow narrating the Home Recording Tutorial.

I found his home page a couple years ago, thoroughly enjoyed the resources found there on fingerstyle blues guitar, and purchased the dvd he's selling. Great dvd. Doug is top shelf and his site is worth more than a look, especially if you have an interest in this kind of music.

http://littlebrother.nlpd.com/index.htm
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000