Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 Opinions about Adobe Audition
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2005 :  12:05:59 PM  Show Profile
Anyone want to comment of the relative value of Adobe Audition? I'll probably spend some $ for hardware and software to do some basic home recording. Fueled by the how-to videos in the Acoustic Player site, I'm looking into the M Audio hardware and Adobe Audition (I've downloaded the trial version). $300 seems like a lot for a hobby tool. any thoughts from the patch?

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2005 :  2:12:48 PM  Show Profile
Terry,

Audition 1.5 can do almost anything you want it to do (more than I know how to do - but I am learning), although the pros seem to be locked into Pro Tools. I'll email you more details.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2005 :  6:42:04 PM  Show Profile
Actually, a lot of the Pros are already using Audition. For a Pro, it is a no-brainer to spend another $350 on Software that will perform many functions very well (especially after spending $10K to $15K on the full blown ProTools setup - with the full hardware compliment). I am in communication with several Pro's who do most of their work on Audition, even though they have a full Pro Tools setup as well.

If you check out the web sites focused on Radio programming production you will find that Audition has about 80% of that market. I think this is due to the ease at which you can do sample accurate editing of Mono and Stereo files in tne "Edit View".

Audition was one of the first to go to full 32bit floating point (meaning higher quality), ProTools has lagged way behind in that regard. However, ProTools (with the full HDW complement) with do more things in real time (you can hear them while you do them) than Audition. In Audition you can only do "simple" effects in real time, but you can "pre-view" very sophisticated effects and then they take a minute or so to process. It has infinite un-do as well, so you can un-do any effect that you didn't like very easily, but this can eat up time if you have to keep tweaking your effects, processing and then undoing, etc.

Yes - and it has a Gazillion effects built-in. The only "Plug-in" that I have bought for Audition is a thing called "Ozone", and mainly because it was a more convienient way of getting a multi-band compressor than the (several) built-in ways.

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 03/21/2005 6:44:54 PM
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2005 :  8:03:23 PM  Show Profile
Terry,

Audition is a great tool for ONLY $300 and the firewire M Audio will work quite well. If you're looking for a hobby tool, then the free Audacity may be the way to go. You still need good hardware digital converters to take advantage of any program.

Actually, I don't think 80% is a true figure since many pros are now using Logic (formerly EMagic, but now the proprietary Apple platform). Once the material is bounced to two tracks, Peak is a major choice, even for mastering. ProTools HTDM (not HDW) is still the platform of choice in the major recording studios.

If you're going to spend good money on Audition, then I'd take a hard look at the Apogee Mini-Me http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/minime.php but we're getting well beyond hobby here.

Dave

Edited by - `Ilio Nui on 03/22/2005 04:18:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2005 :  05:54:28 AM  Show Profile
Thanks to all for the input.
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2005 :  07:12:49 AM  Show Profile
Dr Dave,

Yes - I should qualify that statement: Audition has about 80% of the PC-Based Radio production market. The Mac World is different.

I have downloaded Audacity too, but I am waiting till I get a Linux-Box up and running before I give it a try. Me thinks it is a few years behind most other tools at this point, but the open-source nature of it is a strong draw, as I can modify the code myself to add things like a multi-band compressor that I like. (But this would not be a significant advantage to non-programmer types.)

However, there is enough functionality already present (from what I can see) so that it should be an excellent tool for folks getting started in Computer based recording. (and you can't beat the price!)

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 03/22/2005 07:19:27 AM
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2005 :  09:22:52 AM  Show Profile
Lawrence,

Before you write a bunch of code, check out these websites:

http://microsound.nexthop.net/bin/view.cgi/Main/LinuxSoftware