Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 Mysterious Lever used by Led
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Keone
Akahai

50 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2005 :  08:21:33 AM  Show Profile
Hello all,

I'm new to taropatch and wow what a great community. I had a question that I knew someone here could answer.

I recently saw Led for the first time (he was amazing and blazing) and he had this interesting metal lever on his low string that he would push and it would change from a D to a C in a snap. I had never seen anything like that before and I thought it was cool. I was wondering if any one you might have some insight. Thanks.

Keone

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2005 :  09:30:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Played with a bassist that had one of those. Usually drops the note a whole step. Is it like this thing?

http://www.hipshotproducts.com/guitarxtender.htm

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Keone
Akahai

50 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2005 :  09:38:01 AM  Show Profile
Andy,

Thanks for the reply and the link. This looks exactly like what Led had going on.

Mahalo.

Keone
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2005 :  09:54:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Cool, I had no idea Led used that. Thanks for posting and welcome to the 'patch!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Larry Goldstein
Lokahi

267 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2005 :  12:44:13 PM  Show Profile
Banjo players have used a similar device for years to increase the bending of notes. Generally they are known as "Keith" tuners, named after great banjo player Bill Keith. Two tuners are the standard.

Keep on pickin' (whether w/ picks or not)

Larry
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2005 :  2:18:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
During a camp jam on Maui last summer, all the taropatch campers would groan when the song leader would announce the key for the song was "F" because all the G-tuned guitars would all have to capo up to the 10th fret. After another song in F was introduced and we were all fumbling with capos, Led reached up and flipped the hipshot, then grinned and said "F!"
Everyone laughed, but I think he tunes to Taropatch G, then flips uses the hipshot to go to drop C, then uses his incredible skill to play in whatever key comes along. I'm sure he could play in Eb minor in any tuning.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2005 :  3:04:28 PM  Show Profile
E Jesse,

No question that Led can do what Led can do. But... It is easy, even for us who can not play nuthin', to play in C/G (actually, for certain songs, C/G sounds bettter than a straight C) or D/D (Sarah's latest composition, modulated to G) in TP. If we have a C tuning going on, F is simple (1 flat). Both Sarah and I have these "cross tunings" (Howard Emerson's description) going on in our arrangements. Of course, Sarah's fingers do better than mine (everything she does is mo'bettah)...

Try play...

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Mainkaukau
Lokahi

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2005 :  09:49:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mainkaukau's Homepage
I think this is a very interesting product and plan on checking it out. Problem is, how am I going to fit 6 of these things on my guitar? .
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2005 :  10:00:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Mainkaukau

I think this is a very interesting product and plan on checking it out. Problem is, how am I going to fit 6 of these things on my guitar? .

Why limit to 6? Add a 7th string too!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2005 :  7:37:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
I remember Led having to adjust the tuning a little, usually during the beginning of the next song, after each flip of the hipshot. It rarely landed on exactly the right note.
Sometimes I think he would flip it just to test himself.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Konabob
`Olu`olu

USA
928 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2005 :  7:49:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Konabob's Homepage  Send Konabob an AOL message
quote:

Steel guitar guys love these things. http://www.hipshotproducts.com/trilogy.htm
It gives you well over 100 different tunings by pushing buttons.

Aloha,
-Konabob

Konabob's Walkingbass - http://www.konawalkingbass.com
Taropatch Steel - http://www.konaweb.com/konabob/
YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=Konabob2+Walkingbass
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2005 :  10:35:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
quote:

Here's a pic of one of Adrian Legg's guitars, fitted with at least 5 and maybe 6 Scruggs tuners. These are geared banjo pegs which provide the same function as the Hipshot.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog

Edited by - Fran Guidry on 03/24/2005 10:36:39 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page