Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 slack key in hawaiian culture
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jordanlacore
Aloha

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2005 :  07:16:21 AM  Show Profile
Hey everyone! I'm new to the board and to hawaiian slack key guitar. I love the music and and dying to learn how to play. I am also interested though in the cultural aspect of the music. I am doing a project at Kansas State University on the influence of music by and on culture, most specifically religion. If anyone has any information, sources, or good stories, I am very intersested to hear them. From little I have seen, this tradition seems to be guarded in a way. So, anything you can tell me I would be very appreciative. Thanks All!!!

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2005 :  07:40:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Hmm, I'm not totally clear on the subject of your proposed paper. I guess, it's because there are several angles you could take.

If you're focused on slack key:
1) Lacking a written language, chant (music) and hula were used to pass down mythology and history.
2) Outsiders (Mexican cowboys) brought guitars to Hawai`i.
3) Missionaries also influenced music through hymns.
4) Hawaiian people developed slack key guitar reflecting their culture (ties to hula, chant, falsetto singing)
5) Hawaiian people were not allowed by law to speak Hawaiian, dance hula or chant.
6) Hawaiians lose their Kingdom; USA annexed Hawai`i 1898.
7) Hawaiian Renaissance - renewal of cultural identity.

Lots of holes that require filling but there's some background for you. The tradition is not really guarded anymore. There was just a period after the Hawaiian people had lost so much of there culture that it did become guarded.

Read http://kapalama.ksbe.edu/archives/PVSA/primary%202/79%20kanahele/kanahele.htm - not sure if you can get access to George Kanahele's book. Read the Hawaiian Son (http://www.hawaiianlegacy.com/book.html)

Andy
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2005 :  07:57:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
This is a complex topic, but I will offer a few bits of information about Hawaiian music that might help you with your paper.
1. The twelve note musical scale and harmony singing was brought to Hawaii by outsiders, mainly missionaries who translated hymns and wrote new songs for Hawaiians to sing. These influences are still prominent in the music today. You might generalize that the ancient religion(s) of the Hawaiian natives faded as Christianity became more accepted in the islands, but there were many factors, apart from music, involved because it was a time of great social upheaval.
2. Slack key guitar developed separately, mainly in the country, from the new himeni (hymn) form of music, but has been blended in over the years. Later, the steel guitar, distantly related to slack key, became popular and is used for some religious music.
3. Most Hawaiian songs are about love, of a person, of a place, of a natural wonder. There are many songs overtly and covertly about sex, partly because Hawaiian culture sees it as a natural part of romantic love. Hawaiians love to party and some songs are openly naughty ("kolohe") and aren't sung around children or religious people. Only a small amount are religious in nature, but Hawaiian Christians are devoted to the music of the church and it's integral to worship services. In church, choral singing is usually emphasized.
If you're interested in the history of slack key, you might find info on the Dancing Cat webpage:
http://www.dancingcat.com/skbook-tableofcontents.shtml
Good luck,
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

jordanlacore
Aloha

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2005 :  2:44:11 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the help! I really appreciate it. I'm thinking of trying to put together two parallel timelines, one with important religious and cultural dates, like when Christianity first came to the islands, and on the parallel timeline, look at how music changed. I want to see how the music changed as the culture changed. I will probably try to look at more music traditions than just slack key. So, if anyone has any good ideas on how I might go about this I'd be glad to hear them.
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2005 :  3:15:41 PM  Show Profile
A great starting point would be Kanahele's "Hawaiian Music & Musicians, An Illusatrated History." It is OOP, but couple of years ago I got my first look at it by means of an inter-library loan. If $$ is no object, you can find copies for between $125 - 250, so library use might not sound too bad. It is a very useful and significant book.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2005 :  4:58:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
And if you didn't see this link in another post, check out http://www.latimes.com/hawaiianmusic

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2005 :  2:06:53 PM  Show Profile
There is also a very interesting book that you can order through Aloha Ke Akua Ministries that traces the religious belief in God over their history.

http://akaministries.tripod.com/aloha/id3.html

There is not a lot musically but it may help inform the effects the missionaries had in Hawaii. They can also help you with the music ties.

In addition you may be able to get some interesting information if you do a google search on Henry Opukaha'ia. A leading Hawaiian figure in getting the Hawaiian language written and in bringing missionaries to Hawaii.

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

jordanlacore
Aloha

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2005 :  12:25:51 PM  Show Profile
i actuallly have access to the book "Hawaiian music and Musicians" and it is proving to be a valuable resource. I was also curious about an article that describes some cultural changes that have taken place. i dont know if it is an accurate depiction of what really happened and thought you guys would know better than i do. the link is http://www.paulwaters.com/hawtrads.htm if anyone wants to take a look and comment on it.
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000