Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Quick start for transfer students...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2005 :  12:27:41 PM  Show Profile
OK...forgive any redundancies.
I'm getting a tenor G-string ASAP, (as soon as the credit card cycle is over!)
As a transfer student with enough previous standard guitar, a little uke time, and an excess of theory and other useless knowledge, I want to know some quick start--especially right hand approaches and useful patterns and mid-level+ secrets.
I'm able to hear the concert pitches...more relative pitch knowledge, but resembles perfect pitch for string instruments...
(something to show for 40 years of violin!)
But it doesn't mean anything if I can't do songs!

I am gravitating toward low G as my default set-up.
I want to move past the quick-fun strumming (but will also use this) into some moderately cool RIGHT HAND tricks.

Are there definitive videos or resources that aren't bogged down in the basics.
Like the 6ths and other lead patterns.
Are picks necessary for "power" in delivery?
What are some of the "tricks of the stars?"
Say, Ledward, David Kamakahi, and (forgive me)the Ka'au Crater Boys
as well as Jake and all the others.

There should be a good way to achieve some transfer of knowledge from guitar, but I need to acclimate and see some great players...
Since Colorado is a little dry for superstar ukers, I may need a couple good dvd's or videos!
If there are old links, point me there...
or just Help me from meandering...I have Attention Surplus Syndrome.
G

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2005 :  7:33:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Two things I would recommend, low G and a thumb pick. I watched Herb Ohta Jr. and David Kamakahi do a lot of different things with a thumb pick and a couple fingernails. If you wear a thumb pick you can occasionally accentuate a single note or run, then switch back to finger tips for strumming. Thumb picks also help you hit harmonics.
FWIW,
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2005 :  12:36:56 AM  Show Profile
Yes, thanks...
I needed to hear some re-inforcement on low g choice-- thought it might just be an Iz thing...
And the thumb pick makes sense, I've seen it and forgot to notice.
Anything else that's obvious to the voices of experience?

And what about da videos?
Brozman or ?
Something that moves along.
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2005 :  05:23:12 AM  Show Profile
On the low-G vs. high-G - it seems to be low-G for Hawaiian music, high-G for mainland music with plenty of exceptions. One of the luthiers, Dave Means, says sopranos can't properly support a low-G tuning; the main resonance of the body is too high. Lots of folks think sopranos should be tuned ADF#B, with a reentrant A. Lyle Ritz likes DGBE, reentrant, on tenors. I'm lazy and use C-tuning on everything, sopranos to tenors.

John King arranges his music for reentrant tuning, http://nalu-music.com/ so what you really need are TWO ukuleles, one strung low-G, the other strung reentrant with maybe a few extra ukes for the other tunings.

Pauline

Edited by - Pauline Leland on 03/21/2005 05:24:27 AM
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2005 :  10:17:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
The clerk in a store in Lahaina is probably still trying to get my drool off a new G-string tenor that was on display last summer. It was $900 and I was about, uh, $900 short.
I agree that high G has its place, and I was a hardcore high-G-only adherent until recently. And I still think it sounds best when strumming Hawaiian songs. But I'm a convert to low-G now and think it works really well on a tenor, especially when picking.
Don't worry about lessons/DVDs/instruction, Gordon. You'll get that fine machine in your hands and you'll be off like a shot because you know the basics of standard guitar. Also, there's very little out there for intermediate/advanced ukulele instruction. Herb Ohta Jr. taught my class the 1st/3rd and 2nd/4th string combinations like slack key players use on guitars. That will give you most of the Hawaiian sounds you need.
Just listen to the players you like and take it from there.My favorite ukulele players are Iz, Troy Fernandez (Ka'au Crater Boys and background on many recordings), Eddie Kamae, Herb Ohta Jr. and Moe Keale.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Gary A
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2005 :  11:13:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Gary A's Homepage
Gordon asked about the Bob Brozman ukulele video. I really like it. It's definitely for intermediate/advanced players. He doesn't spend any time teaching the stuff that's obvious to someone who already plays the guitar.

There's a lot of good material. He shows some rolls, strumming patterns, and string pairs that let you harmonize things in thirds and sixth. Some of the songs are Hawaiian, some are 20's era American. He shows how to play a hot version of "Sweet Georgia Brown" just by playing different inversions of the chords that make up the song.

A big bonus is that in the last half of the video Led Kaapana joins him and plays two tunes (one of which is partially tabbed out). You really get a chance to closely watch Led play.

One big drawback is that he uses the High-A tuning (A D F# B) which is one whole step above the standard High-G tuning. When I got the video there didn't seem to be a lot of advanced uke instructional material out there. There may be some better stuff out there now.

Gary
Go to Top of Page

Gary A
Lokahi

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2005 :  6:49:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Gary A's Homepage
Here's a link to the page describing the Brozman uke video on the Homespun Tapes website. There's a 2 minute sampler from the video that gives you a pretty good idea of the contents. Watching the sampler I noticed that Led plays "Glass Ball Hula" over the closing credits!

http://www.homespuntapes.com/prodpg/prodpg.asp?prodID=631&prodType=

By the way, Led plays in the High-G tuning.

Gary
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2005 :  12:20:31 AM  Show Profile
Well, Rome wasn't built in a day...
which is tough for my manic side to accept!
I call it my Tigger Complex...
"Oh, Tiggers are excellent flyers" and uke players etc. etc. etc.
Then the realities set in...

So I'm capoing guitar at 5 to try to work out some of "You Don't write" uke lead...and I'm realizin' this is almost certainly a HIGH g riff! It's usually for a filler phrase or little solo feature, and I hear it in other players.

Some of those accent-shifted 16th note riffs, thus the is feel triplet-like.

They can sound either pretty neat, or like a cheap trick...depending on the player!
But it helps to reason out the tuning before trying to dissect a riff! Keep your "serenity now" pills nearby.

Guess I'll have to keep an eye out for a decent 2nd uke to keep in high g ( and maybe a third for ADF#B)!
I was goin' nuts tryin' to figure out the fingerin', til I considered the switch.

So I know that IZ is a low G man.
But who and what are the preferences of others...
maybe that will save some of us "tiggers" a little time.

I think the Brozman video may be a good choice...
just need to choose wisely...this stuff can start to add up!
(But the better ones are worth every penny.)

I hope to steal a little time away at camp to watch the Ukulele Boyz...and other rising stars.

Why re-invent the wheel everyday?

Of course,
"I'm not lost, I'm exploring." (J.S.) and exploring can be fun...but sometimes I take some serious detours.

Right Hand articulation will offer many challenges...

The capoed guitar doesn't really allow good clearances between to simulate...come on credit card cycle!

And I'm still tryin' to find a comfortable thumb pick...
Aaarrgh......
Tryin' large Zookies, and Nationals...
and on and on.

What's your favorite picks?

Do any video's show a taropatch of good right hand work...either high and/or low g?

While I seek some stuff to push the startup envelope,
I need to be cognizant of good basics. Good solid strumming ain't a bad thang.

The basic stuff can make or break ya!

Gster
Go to Top of Page

Pops
Lokahi

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2005 :  2:21:23 PM  Show Profile
Gordon,

So much is a matter of taste and budget! I prefer high-G because that's what my Kamaka concert is set-up for and that's what I learned on, but many of my favorite players use low-G. As a banjo player I'm really comfortable with re-entrant tuning. The high-G reminds my of my 5th string on my banjo. As for picks, I don't find the need for them. I weaned myself from them many years ago and prefer skin-to-string. The Brozman video is very good as others have noted. I'd also suggest the new DVD on The Sons of Hawaii. Though it's not an instructional vehicle, it has some really nice footage of Mr. Kamae playing some beautiful music. Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2005 :  7:36:11 PM  Show Profile
Comfortable thumb pick? I recently bought a Shark Tooth thumb pick. It's a method of holding a flatpick on your thumb with a bit of neoprene and velcro. It feels very comfortable except that I'm used to skin and a bit of nail, a very little bit since they break all the time, all 5 of them, so using a thumb pick feels awkward. Still, it's nice to have something for strumming when my fingers feel like they are about to blister.

Drawback, it's $10. www.strum-n-comfort.com

Something new, they have 3 models now. I have the traditional.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2005 :  9:04:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
I'm mad because I just lost my Shark Tooth. Comfortable, always on your finger and just the right amount of stiffness. It was given to me as a sample by a guitar shop guy. Now I have to buy one. Auwe!
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2005 :  07:35:15 AM  Show Profile
Jesse,

I'll bet I learned about the Shark Tooth pick from one of your posts.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2005 :  12:38:56 PM  Show Profile
Here in Colorado, we prefer Hen's teeth...it's not the easy way, but it's the COWBOY way. And they're rare.
I'll check on the shark's teeth.
But it's nice to use something that's fairly easy to find...
Anybody else using Zookies?
And whats the best way to customize(heat and shape)?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000