Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Keith's Ukulele Class
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Tonya
Lokahi

USA
177 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2005 :  2:30:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tonya's Homepage
I don't know if this is too basic, or perhaps you don't want to let them "cheat" in transposing, but once they've learned the concept, you can print out a transposing wheel on thicker paper, cut it out and stick a little brass brad in the middle and you have a quick reference for transposing. I use mine when I'm playing with others and I don't have time to do the finger counting thing...

Go here for a transposing wheel to download--
http://www.tikiking.com/tools.html

http://www.uketreasures.com
http://www.ukuleletonya.com
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2005 :  5:48:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
0+= aww, nancy, you're too much the engineer! =)

aloha,
keith
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2005 :  5:49:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
aloha e tonya,

thanks for the great link! this is a cool tool, especially with the handsome mug of the tiki king in the middle!

thanks again,
keith
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2005 :  08:34:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
hi all - here's the report of week 4.

it's getting scary. i walk into the classroom and hear some awfully good playing. freshmen are at a magical time in their lives: mature, bright, and lots of free time. some have been working on doing single string picking runs and they are all getting very fluid in chord changes. i had them choose a song and sing it to me - they chose "surfing USA" and it sounded good! we spent some time working on sounding a bit more fluid in the strumming - they're concentrating on doing it right rather than doing it so it sounds good - and then launched into the song of the week: brown eyed girl (good choice). i showed them a little bit of coloring - adding the fifth of the scale as an accent while strumming the chords - and really enjoyed watching the lights go on over the heads of half of the students.

we then went over transposition, and transposed brown eyed girl from F to D (they had never played in D before).

the next day, the browns gave a special class meeting for some of the students. what a treat that was! they first played "e hihiwai" and then ikaika, knowing that they had just learned "brown eyed girl", launched into that song on the uke. you could hear the students gasping - they recognized the chords but ikaika, of course, did it wonderfully. they finally just started playing songs, and got ka`ena to sing a few songs. we had to clear the room by 2 so the CSE staff could have their staff meeting. actually, when the browns wrapped up i saw a big group of the staff all huddled around the door with huge grins on their faces.

next week we'll do movable major chords. i'll show them ikaika's walk up from Bb to C, and then do "sitting on the dock of the bay".

aloha,
keith

Edited by - marzullo on 04/24/2005 03:51:58 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000