Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Barre chord problems
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Kiwini
Lokahi

USA
203 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2005 :  1:57:26 PM  Show Profile
Raymond, unfortunately its worse than that. Even the strings between the creases, ceases to please us. I wonder if learning to use a capo, really really fast, would help.

Thanks Raymond.

Steve

Me Ke Aloha,
Steve
Go to Top of Page

Kiwini
Lokahi

USA
203 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2005 :  2:07:25 PM  Show Profile
Karl-

Seems to help when combined with proper hand position. I have noticed that when I stretch up with the other fingers, my index finger tends to bow slightly and sometimes angles away from the alignment of the fret. So I'm having to learn to "feel" the barre first and try to adjust with the other fingers. But thanks to all y'alls input I at least have options and a reference foundation to work from.

Thanks,
Steve

Me Ke Aloha,
Steve
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2005 :  2:24:44 PM  Show Profile
I guess I have lousy positioning. I can barre, but prefer to use my thumb on the lowest string ( ala Merle Travis ). It carried over from how I figgered a D chord should be rounded out on the low E, 2nd fret.
This way I can get an A9 on the 7th fret: Thumb 6th string, 7th fret, middle finger 4th string 7th fret, index finger 3rd string 6th fret, ring finger 2nd string 8th fret, pinky 1st string 9th fret. I've seen George Kahumoku Jr use middle and ring on the 7th fret 6th and 4th strings and index on3rd string 6th fret, pinky on 2nd string 8th fret for an A7. These positions work up the neck. Led uses his thumb on the low string at times, ie-Leanard's C 6th string 2nd fret ( a D note ) while playing an F chord. Thus an F6 with the 6 in the bass. Very cool.
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2005 :  04:37:33 AM  Show Profile
Aloha e Steve,

Maybe I just posted under the wrong thread! Under Position and Technique problems Rt hand I posted about barres, and specific pressure for specific strings (4&5). It kind of addresses your initial question here.

Anyway, I did try using a capo really, really fast, one of those rolling kinds, to change keys every verse. The problem was getting it into position and then fretting the addtional frets fast enough to be smooth with the music. Probably if I practiced a whole lot I'd get it ironed out, but it turns out, I found my finger to work faster and better, after a less practice time. After the first session, I had sore hands, but I went at it like an exercise: break in easy, don't do too much, and build up endurance. Things go much better now

aloha,
Sarah
Go to Top of Page

Kiwini
Lokahi

USA
203 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2005 :  10:03:15 AM  Show Profile
Aloha e Kory,

Auwe! I guess you, Merle and George stay blessed wit da long fingas li'dat. I no can finga dat chord out. Wit eryting in place, da pinky no can reach. (junk dat finga! wertless, good fo nutting buggah...well OK, good for one ting) Me, I like da concept wit da tumb ova da top, but I stay wondering wot you gon do wen gotta barre da numba five string? Can or no can? Anywayz Brah, Mahalo fo da info. Gotta go, my left hand stay cramping.

Me Ke Aloha,
Steve
Go to Top of Page

Kiwini
Lokahi

USA
203 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2005 :  10:55:13 AM  Show Profile
Aloha e Sarah,

Mahalo fo posting ova hea about da posting ova dea. I went ova dea and read um. Az one good idea about tinking ahead fo da pilikia(problem), an put da presha ony where I need um. And da best part is wen you say take time, no rush. Funny coz dats wot "Shaka" means. Mahalo for sharing.

(Mean while back at Steve's practice session) Gee, now get plenny mo tings for tink about. Finga hea, finga dea, pluck um hea, pluck um dea. Okay problem barre coming up, position da hand, angle da guitar, sit up straight, no hunch ova, put preshaaaaaaaa now! Is dis the first verse or da second verse? Who's ringing da doorbell? Eh, da doorbell sound jalike one harmonic, yeah? Why dey no stay ansa da door? I wish da kids would be quiet! wot time now? Ok hea come da chorus, 6,7,8....where was I?

Auwe, mo bettah try golf!!!

Mahalo Nui,

Me Ke Aloha,
Steve
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2005 :  12:12:56 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Cuzin Steve...
Sarah is the BEST!! I'm still working on that barre - that's all I practiced today. Ugh! I tink my fingahs funny shape - strings 2 and 3 go thunk thunk... someone said you shouldn't have to press so hard. I'm working on that put finger just behind fret and roll it up there. that helps - until i hit the string on the nerve which hurts and would stop a song immediately. Thank goodness I'm not getting graded, and were I working, wouldn't get a raise based on mastering this wonderful skill - it doens't look likes it's optional.
good luck - me too

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2005 :  12:50:40 PM  Show Profile
Ho da funnee, Stevo,

Sarah an' I stay crack up untop da flo'ah. Nobuddy wen'say play da kika stay eeezeee, Brah. B'leev one ol' kine haole guy, as why haahd, yeah?

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Kiwini
Lokahi

USA
203 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2005 :  3:24:21 PM  Show Profile
Howzit Auntie!

Yeah erybody stay give me good kine advice, tips and li'dat. Hers one really hit home wit me coz sometime I neva know what da next chord gon be but guaranz ballbearanz is gon be da haahd one. And me sometime no mo patientz, I like eryting fo stay come yestaday. So, dass good advice fo slow down.

And you right, I tink no mo option. Erybody gotta go to da barre soona o latahs. Lychee Martini! Okole ma luna! (bottoms up!)

Me Ke Aloha,
Steve

Edited by - Kiwini on 04/14/2005 8:17:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

Kiwini
Lokahi

USA
203 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2005 :  3:45:35 PM  Show Profile
Eh Bruddah Reid, Mahalo.

So long can put one smile on top you guys face den me I stay happy too. But eh brah, you get tick pidgin too, and for one good ol'haole boy, shoots brah, geev um!

I know kika stay haahd, but da flo'ah stay mo haahd, no? Careful no broke one hip wen you stay rollin on top um, yeah?

By da way,
Sarah Smile!

Dass one of my favorite meles.

Me Ke Aloha,
Steve

Edited by - Kiwini on 04/14/2005 8:32:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2005 :  04:06:07 AM  Show Profile
I get long fingas li'dat. Also, I get one D-18, da Dreadnaughts get on slightly narrower neck dan concert kine. As John Hartford used to say' "Style is based on limitation." If cannot, no can. Find for one uddah way. If kika was easy, den no mo' joy of accomplishments.
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2005 :  04:38:33 AM  Show Profile
Ahh, but the joy is being able to listen to the music and to play and encourage others to sing too. Thank goodness - I'm hanging onto that.

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000