Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 The human voice...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2005 :  01:18:55 AM  Show Profile
So often we focus on the string instrument execution here...
and perhaps this is another category...
And we address language, lyrics and culture at times...

But the challenges of the voice?

I took my first ongoing series of voice lessons starting in my late 40's...
My first coach had sang harmony with Jackson Browne for over twenty-five years...and at my first lesson he said, "well if you keep at it, you can get somewhere in 5-10 years!"
I wanted to quit! That's too difficult!

Well, I made SOME progress in the first 5-10 minutes...
And, since time is speeding up anyway, the 5 years has blasted by.

Yes, some folks seem to just open their mouth, and the GODS speak.
But when you talk to these "naturals", they were either coached, modeled to, around a musical singing culture, or a family or musical culture (Hawaiian, Mormon, Baptist, etc.) (seriously)...there are many.

But even many within those musically nurturing settings had lessons and special coaching.

Even the ones who started out "naturally" with minimum coaching like John Denver and other folk/pop singers have eventually gone to vocal coaches to help with the rigors of touring, and constant demands on their voices.

So I'm wonderin' how many here are "unconcious" singers...and figure you either have it, or you don't.

I told myself I wasn't a singer when I was 21, and it became true...til I changed my mind.

After standing idly off the side of some not that exceptional singers, but huge egos...I finally sang..."enough".

My range has extended over an octave these last 5 years...on a good day.
Every frog has his day.

And I've finally started to get some sense of placement, e.q. and tonal options...
A change from opening my mouth and saying, "take it or leave it".

Who else is chasing this rainbow?
I'm sorry I lost 25 years...but I'm exploring, and it is alternately scarry and exhilarting.

Pickin' is a challenge, voice another...and then there's the IMPOSSIBILITY of putting both togther to stand and deliver!

And you thought you'd taken up something easy.

But, people will remember the songs and the vocals most of all.
Don't be afraid, it's only terrifying fun.

Edited by - Kapila Kane on 04/02/2005 01:31:17 AM

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2005 :  11:30:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
I look at it this way: In Hawaiian music, the song is the star, not the voice or the guitar. If your voice tells the story, it doesn't matter if it's raspy or smooth. Being on pitch is usually mandatory, but not always.
I think if you sing from the heart, in the spirit of the song, and try to be as technically good--pitch, breathing in the right places, good pronunciation--the story will be told.
Other types of music have more demands on the singer, and you have to realistically assess the tool at your disposal when trying something more difficult.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2005 :  07:14:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
Thank you for this thread. Singing has ALWAYS been a challenge for me, only because of my own limitations and fears. Having lived in the shadows of my sister who has sung professionally for almost 35 years (which is why I took up guitar and uke), I also told myself I wasn't a singer (and still do). My friend tells me to "get over it" and start singing. I guess one has to start somewhere. So, I must evolve from belting my tunes within the confines of my automobile and shower to the outside world and quit being so self conscious about myself and abilities. I guess I must look back at this past year and think how far I've come from a shy person who never played or performed in front of folks to one who has initiated and led many kanikapilas. I have to thank my halau buddies and all these workshops I've been attending too, since they have collectively given me the confidence to try and explore unknown and terrifying territory and have literally thrown me out of the nest to start learning how to fly. Talk about scary.

Thank you Gordon and Jesse for reminding me that I don't have to sing like Amy, Darlene, or Aunty Genoa to tell the story. As long as it comes from the heart, I'm sure it'll all unfold. Yes, the challenge is to sing and play at the same time (and in Hawaiian!). No easy feat for this "kotonk." Well, I still have a lot to learn and far to go, but I've taken the first baby steps (with the thumb still in my mouth)and will continue on (I'm right behind you, Gordon!).

Maggie
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2005 :  08:23:13 AM  Show Profile
Hey Maggie,
If it's any consolation, I found that I could stay on key much better when playing the guitar. I still can't carry a tune in the shower.
n

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2005 :  08:27:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage
Gordon's post includes a number of home truths, but for me the crucial one is that it's never too late (well, within reason and physical limits) to take a whack at any musical skill, including singing. After the usual (for the 60s) hootenany sing-alonging, I didn't open my mouth in public (in song anyway) for more than 30 years. Then I decided that I loved the swing tunes I was playing (again, after 30 years of closet guitar picking) not to sing them, so I chose a couple that fell in my range and worked them up. Then I took a week-long vocal workshop and made audible progress--better control, a modest improvement in range. So if you have the itch to sing, scratch it. It helps to have tolerant and helpful friends and musical partners, but the main thing is to push through nerves, embarrassment, and the inevitable clams (that's where the tolerant & helpful part comes in) and keep working on it. Almost *anybody* can sing well enough for communal social occasions (from church to kanikapila), and most of us can do a bit better than that. Hawaiian lyrics pose a separate set of challenges, but Sarah's the one to advise us on that.
Go to Top of Page

neeej
`Olu`olu

USA
643 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2005 :  9:49:42 PM  Show Profile
One good way to get in the swing of sing is to join a song circle-type group---prolly exist in some form or other in most towns. Here it's Seattle Song circle---we meet weekly in various living rooms and when it's our turn either sing, request or pass. Others pitch in; some play instruments & some just their acapellas. Totally non-judgmental & lotsa fun. If you can't find one, start one :-)

--Jean S
Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2005 :  10:47:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
I have always been a closet singer, my dadd always trotted me out when company came, and forced the issue, which, of course, made me even more shy. I have been in a couple homegrown bands sinmce and have sung there on occassion, and i used to send my old girlfriend (and my mother) tapes of me doing all kinds of songs. I have never considered myself any good, but i am often assked to sing when friends get togetrher. (you can fool some of the people....)
I have thought about voice lessons for a long tiome, and just today i decided to get 'em. Went to see a staged performance of Carmen. Lead male roles were imported, but all the rest were locals, and it was excellent. Three are vocal coaches at the university in town. I figure if they can do it, so can i. Sign me up...it's never too late.
BTW, i want to learn some of the hawaiian tunes, but mostly i want to sing like Stan Rogers, and maybe even belt out an aria from Il Trovatore!
Wonder if Dylan had a vocal coach? Phyllis Diller comes to mind....

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2005 :  06:29:12 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Karl!
You must not be out in the "middle of nowhere" if you have access to a University! Nice you had the encouragement (from here?) to sign up for lessons. My mother didn't make me sing, she brought me a paper sack to "carry my tune"...
For Hawai'ian tunes and singing, you just gotta meet Nick the Pilot!!
Enjoy!!
n

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2005 :  1:58:03 PM  Show Profile
Warning, Warning, Danger Will Robinson...

Actually, just make sure your "couch" understands about the different tonal placement we seek in folk, pop, acoustic, Hawaiian and other styles...
and they vary from artist to artist, group to group, and song to song etc..
Using some good basic physical technique does not have to make a Caruso sound.
The support things should be good across the board, but the tonal sounds we achieve through the area we place the vibrations in is critical to not sounding too outside the zone where our audience doesn't lose it!

And vocal teachers will differ on how some things are achieved, but some sort of basic support(and the chakra you're working from is well below the waist...sometimes below the ankles!
While some people may have their voice at conception, most do some sort of work or adaption based on their culture, speaking and musical environment, and whatever...
Make sure your teacher is able to shift gears so you don't sound like Gomer Pyle.
I still like to approximate artists I like for a specific style or song.
I don't just throw some paint on a canvas and say, "That's my art, take it or leave it."
Picasso could really draw...
At an exhibition in New York where things were arranged Chronologically, some of his early still lifes were like a photograph.
He of course expanded time and again...but he wasn't a faker.
We can affect our tonal qualities in our voice...
we already do...
speak like a kid...
speak softly...
speak like your favorite muppet...
or nasally,
or deep,
or light,
add rasp
whisper,...
but try NOT to scream--unless you're Green Day--actually he seems to know how to do it correctly!
Play around with voices you already know...
not the ones in your head, the vocal ones please.

No more time now...sorry for the rant.
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2005 :  01:23:04 AM  Show Profile
Coach or Couch, take your pick.
He who never proofreads.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked