Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 Concert Schedule in General (not a city)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

konarod
Aloha

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2005 :  5:36:56 PM  Show Profile
I live in the bay area and over the last few years have tried to go to every slack key / Slide guitar show. The one thing I really like about the music is the friendliness spirit, family-ohana that I have felt from the audience and the performers. Could you imagine approaching Green Day or U2? You'd get stomped on by their security.
I hope the music never get so big that a performer wouldn't stay at a friends house and only the best hotel would do!

Now that I've praised the music, I think it's about time that concert schedules sites get more organized. I will be in the islands in the end of April/May. I have been spending the last month surfing the web looking for places to see music when I'm there. There is no complete list, only individual web sites-some of these performers havn't updated their schedules in years, and some boards like Taropatch-God bless um.

Now that I've talked about the problem, any solutions? How about
all the members who know of great sites ie nightclubs, etc., add the links to a site in Taropatch. It could even have subcategories for different regions of the country and world. Any other suggestions?
Bottom line, I just want to hear the music and I know you do too.

And now to my final selfish point, (thank you all who have gotten this far) We will be in Hawaii April 21 thru 27, Kaui April 27 thru April 30, Maui May 30 thru May 5. Who will you be playing and where? Off the beaten track? Maholo, Konarod (Apologize to Konabob, I didn't know someone else had a similar moniker). I've been staying in Kona for years and my name is Rod)

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2005 :  6:20:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Your points are well-taken, Rod, but the Hawaiian music world is not unified or "organized" because it's so informal. And slack key is just a small slice of the spectrum, especially in Hawaii where it's not as popular as traditional vocal music and contemporary Hawaiian music. Then the performance venues are split between hotel/tourist venues and local venues where there may be little or no promotion outside of the islands. If you look for slack key in tourist bars, you'll be disappointed.
We all depend on Auntie Maria's concert calendar at www.mele.com for the scoop on who's playing where. Most of us have had the frustration of trying to find good Hawaiian music to coincide with our visits, only to find reggae or top-40 cover bands wherever we turned.
Speaking from someone who lives a little off the beaten path, I think the best way to see all the top talent from Hawai'i is to move to central California! All the the good musicians show up eventually!
Jesse Tinsley

Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2005 :  6:24:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
I've been thinking about doing something like this for a while. Never was quite sure how it would work.

Basically, looking to highlight artists who have a regular (e.g. weekly) gig at a certain venue? Things change but maybe it would be a helpful resource?

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2005 :  9:37:41 PM  Show Profile
Have you checked Mele.com?
Also, the Hawaii magazine has a website and has a good listing of what's happening by island - they even listed George Kahumoku jr's Camp (but not Keola's on Moloka'i). The mag is for 2 months at a time and I got my May/June copy today.
n

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

konarod
Aloha

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2005 :  04:38:58 AM  Show Profile
Isn't it sad, but typical that music isn't truly appreciated by it's natives. The Japanese are rapid Jazz fans. In the U.S. it's ho hum.
Last year I saw Led at Kapono's; only half the place was full and the crowd didn't realize who this genius was. Wouldn't it be great if there was a night club in all the islands that just had the culture of the islands- not the touristy stuff. A place where any given night you knew you would see something worthwhile. Also, what about organized tours of the islands that are strictly for the music? That would be a perfect world![
quote:
Originally posted by konarod

I live in the bay area and over the last few years have tried to go to every slack key / Slide guitar show. The one thing I really like about the music is the friendliness spirit, family-ohana that I have felt from the audience and the performers. Could you imagine approaching Green Day or U2? You'd get stomped on by their security.
I hope the music never get so big that a performer wouldn't stay at a friends house and only the best hotel would do!

Now that I've praised the music, I think it's about time that concert schedules sites get more organized. I will be in the islands in the end of April/May. I have been spending the last month surfing the web looking for places to see music when I'm there. There is no complete list, only individual web sites-some of these performers havn't updated their schedules in years, and some boards like Taropatch-God bless um.

Now that I've talked about the problem, any solutions? How about
all the members who know of great sites ie nightclubs, etc., add the links to a site in Taropatch. It could even have subcategories for different regions of the country and world. Any other suggestions?
Bottom line, I just want to hear the music and I know you do too.

And now to my final selfish point, (thank you all who have gotten this far) We will be in Hawaii April 21 thru 27, Kaui April 27 thru April 30, Maui May 30 thru May 5. Who will you be playing and where? Off the beaten track? Maholo, Konarod (Apologize to Konabob, I didn't know someone else had a similar moniker). I've been staying in Kona for years and my name is Rod)

Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2005 :  07:44:29 AM  Show Profile
While the mainland performances of musicians from Hawai`i are typically planned well in advance, here in the islands it's only the big concerts which are given much advance planning and advertising.

When it comes to the hotel lounges and small clubs, they are lucky to be able to plan even one month ahead. It's not at all unusual to find out on Monday that some fabulous musician will be playing a gig on Friday of that week. Worse yet, is to hear about it after the fact. Argh!

And as for "regular gigs", even those are subject to change -- musicians head out on tours, or one member of a group decides to quit, etc. The local newspapers try to stay on top of "who's playing where?" for the tourists, but those calendars are subject to errors.

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

Karl Monetti
`Olu`olu

USA
756 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2005 :  12:09:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Karl Monetti's Homepage
Rod,
Welcome aboard. and you made a great point. I am from Alaska and try to mix music with all my travels. My first trip to hawaii it took me 2 days to find anyone at any of the music stores who knew what slack key was,let alone where it was played. I finally hooked up with Bobby Moderow on that trip.
Next trip, in 2002, i was met with the same frustration and bewilderment. We were on Kauai for a week, then Maui for a week. I stumbled on Titus Kinimaka on Kauai, and met the McMasters in Hanalei. I had heard of them via mele.com (Auntie Maria). Noone could point me toward other players or teachers. On Maui i again stumbled onto a player in a bar, kalani Smythe. I saw himm twice and got a lesson as well. I also met Steve Grimes, the guitar builder. But, evenhe couldnot tell me who was playing where!
One thing i found in common, (and this was reiforced this last winter when we saw ken emerson in Princeville) is that even a lot of the guys who play in the tourist places only play to the tourists in genres they are familiar with. You need to ask them if they play slack key. When i first saw Bobby M. his band was at an upscale restaurant playing contemporary music, old standards, etc.. I introduced myself and told him i was interested inslack key. His eyes lit up, the band did several numbers for us and sat at our table the rest of the night! SO, a lot of the local performers would love to play slack key, they just need to know someone in the audience know what it is and wishes to hear it.
This last trip to Hawaii, a week on Big Island and week on Kauai, i planned inadvance. By this time i had gotten on this site (thanks for TP.net) and made some contacts and gotten lots of good advice. Like, get a lesson with John Keawe. Did that, but also found out on his personal web site that he plays 3-4 times a week in different places. Got to see hi perform twice:) Konabob was a great resource with his web site as well as personal contact.
Mele.com was helpful, but did not have much (see Auntie Maria's last post.....not much planning ahead with the artists i guess) to point me toward. I was guided to hal Kinnamon for a lesson. That was very useful. Also got lots of good local info from the Bounty Music manager, Greg Germano. He is a player himself, and knew of several performers around Kauai. That is how we found ken Emerson. And, thru TPnet i was able to meet my first taropatcher, Dusty and Sheila Foster (wdf to you).
So,I guess what i am saying is, you are right, there is no unified listing of all the performers, many of the performers will disappoint you if you don;t ask them to play slack key, put yuor nose into every musical corner you can find before you go as well as once you get to each island, call on Auntie Maria, Konabob, John Keawe, etc. Get on the web sites, keep the chatter going on this site.
One thing we could really use is a spy on each island!!!! Someone with a nose for the music, who will ferret out all the players, big and small, famous and infamous, and lead us to their doors. If we had someone like that, the venues would be packed with appreciative folks, and the next time you travelled there and asked for slack key guitar venues,anybody could point you in the right direction. Wouldn;t that be nice?

Karl
Frozen North
Go to Top of Page

konarod
Aloha

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2005 :  3:47:28 PM  Show Profile
I just got this email from Mike Kaawa responding to my email about places to see acts. Too bad I won't be going to Oahu but for anyone who is, it's a good list:
The regulars on Oahu,
Thursday night at the Marriott, Aunty Genoa
Tuesday night at Kapono's, Ledward Kaapana
Friday night, check out Brew Moon, different Hawaiian
artist...they have a web page too, I think its
brewmoon.com (?)
Saturday night, Jerry Santos/Olomana at the Hilton
Hawaiian Village
Sundays - 330 till around 7ish - I play with Ocean
Kaowili, Analu Aina, and usually Eddie Kamae,
sometimes a steel player, Melveen was just in this
past Sunday, Bill Kaiwa, every once in a while; a lot
of guest artist stop by to join the jam.
I also play on saturday afternoons (1-3) in Waikiki
with Haumea Warrington at Tiki's, Waikiki Aston Hotel.

Aloha,
Mike Kaawa

And this one from Don Kaulia for Hawaii:

Howdy,
I'm playing on the weekends at Huggo's on the Rocks in Kona right across
from Hard Rock Cafe/Lulus on the reef.
You can check in with my buddy Kona Bob at www.konaweb.com
Kona Bob plays slide guitar.
Aloha,
Don Kaulia

And this one from Konabob for Hawaii:

On Sunday the 24th, you can catch Braddah Smitty (Sons of Hawaii) at Daniel Thiebault's
(restaurant) between 4 and 6 PM - special pupu menu available. I might show up for this
one too...
Reef Lounge at the Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel - 5:30 PM on Friday nights they have
Hawaiian music usually featuring the Lim Family or Darlene Ahuna
Our trio - Hana Aloha does a nice little gig on Saturday morning at Alii Gardens Marketplace.
11 AM to 1 PM.
Here is John Keawe's Calendar: http://johnkeawe.com/calendar.html
Don Kaulia is playing slack key at Huggos on the Rocks (Alii Drive) and may
also have other gigs during your trip. You can reach him at don @ kaulia.com
I also back up some intermediate ukulele players on Fridays at Keauhou Shopping Center.
I play slack key bass - strictly amateur stuff, but you are welcome to come by for that if
it works out. Bring your guitar or ukulele too. 10 to 11 AM in the courtyard near KTA Store.

All I did was email them directly and got some very good leads.

Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2005 :  06:41:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Way to go, Konarod! That's a great list.
After seeing Ocean Kaowili in the Sons of Hawai'i movie, I really want to see him perform live. Same with Bruddah Smitty.
Jesse Tinsley

Edited by - hapakid on 04/13/2005 12:48:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2005 :  7:42:45 PM  Show Profile
Several years ago, right after Keola Beamer's Aloha Music Camp on the Big Island, I took my hubby to Kona. While having dinner, I noticed a musician playing next door at Huggo's. We hoofed right on over but were disappointed to hear "regular music". I asked the man if he would play some real, old-time Hawaiian music and his face lit up! He played several very enjoyable songs, which we thoroughly loved. I mean, what could be better than slack-key and hula music at the water's edge in Kona? Could that musician have been Don Kaulia?

Well, so maybe we could have a topic here where people can list their upcoming performances, informally and up to the last minute. That would be a great place to check before going out for the evening...
Julie

Edited by - Julie H on 04/13/2005 7:44:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

rossasaurus
Lokahi

USA
306 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2005 :  9:24:34 PM  Show Profile  Send rossasaurus a Yahoo! Message
Agreed, I wish it were easier.
Maybe we'll get it down to the "top ten" calendar/events sites and can set it up as a page of its' own.

Here's some sites I like.

One of the best for cultural events, including music:

*** Alternative Hawai`i Calendar ***
http://www.alternative-hawaii.com/calendar.htm
Just click on the dot for the island/month combo and voila!
Easy to read, easy to use, fantastico!

MainLand/World-Wide Calendars:

***AlohaWorld***
http://www.alohaworld.com/cgi-bin/suite/calendar/calendar.cgi?request=month&website=default&month=4&day=1&year=2005&category_id=&set=1&session=41dd7a854ebe5c44
Excellent Calendar site for mainland events

*** San Francisco Bay Area Hawaiian Resources ***
http://pw1.netcom.com/~halkop/index.html

Hawai`i Convention and Visitors Bureau World-Wide Calendar
http://www.sharingaloha.com/[/url
Maybe defunct, not sure

Annual Events:

Maui Celebration of the Arts - Free!
http://www.celebrationofthearts.org
Stay or return for the music in the lobby 7:30 to late!!

Miscellaneous:

Hawaiian Music Directory
http://www.geocities.com/~olelo/hmd/

Edited by - rossasaurus on 04/13/2005 9:49:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2005 :  03:20:39 AM  Show Profile
ANDY!!!
How about adding these to the LINKS?
That'd be pretty cool!!
mahalo!!
n

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

PuaLynn
Lokahi

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2005 :  9:37:56 PM  Show Profile
Here are a few more weekly gigs etc. worth checking out --

Waikiki:
Jerry Santos plays on Friday nights at the Paradise lounge in addition to the mentioned Saturday night. Two sets, starting at 8pm on both nights. Friday nights he often has drop in musicians, while Saturday night is the more traditional Olomana. He also plays at Chai's on Monday.
I believe Herb Ohta jr and David Kamakahi have a standing gig also at the Hawaiian Village, at the bar almost on the beach. Believe it starts around 4pm. Great ukuleles.
Friday night at the Hula Grill, Weymouth Kamakana and Haumana Warrington play during dinner .. eat pupus in the bar so you can see JoJo Kamakan's hula. She's a lovely person and dancer.

Whenever I stop off at Waikiki for a music hit, I check the Honolulu Advertiser and their TGIF or playing at lounge section. Last November I spotted a wonderful benefit for Snowbird Bento's newly formed halau that featured Na Palapalai followed by Ledward Ka'apana. What a fabulous long afternoon of music that was .. Na Palapalai played for almost three hours with an amazing repetoire. This event had very little publicity but also had wonderful hula as Snowbird is very charismatic.

I also second the motion to be sure to go see Auntie Genoa Keawe on Thursday early evening at the Marriott pool bar. There are always interesting people dropping in to visit her and some get up to hula. Again, we lucked out and dropped in as she was celebrating her birthday last year, with all kinds of family there helping her.

Lastly, talk to locals and let them know that you love the music and many will share what's coming up. And, if there's an Uncle George Naope concert on the Big Island near where you are, be sure to attend ! He always enlists the most amazing musicians and dancers. It appears that no one says "no" to Uncle George.

Me ke aloha,
Lynn

Edited by - PuaLynn on 04/20/2005 1:13:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

Konabob
`Olu`olu

USA
928 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2005 :  2:01:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Konabob's Homepage  Send Konabob an AOL message
Hi Rod,
I hope you will look me up next time you come home to Kona. I just posted some information on TP under the Kanikapila section.
I have tried to list as many venues and musicians on the west side of the Big Island as I can think of. I will try to keep it edited as
I get more (or less) information. Andy, you might ask for someone on each island and in parts of the west coast and Las Vegas to
keep a "Slack Key Calendar" up to date. It would make it much easier on you.

Aloha,
-Konabob

Konabob's Walkingbass - http://www.konawalkingbass.com
Taropatch Steel - http://www.konaweb.com/konabob/
YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=Konabob2+Walkingbass
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000