Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Learning the basic's ?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ukupau
Aloha

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2005 :  07:57:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ukupau's Homepage
Greetings to the forum. I have just acquired the desire to learn the Uke after many years of listening to Slackkey and Uke's. So with that said I admit to being at the ground floor and hope to learn with this forum.

I live in the San Diego area and have searched for a good starting point. So far, I am attending a basic guitar course to gain knowlege of music basics. Being the only Uke in the class it has been an good experience so far. I have been looking for a follow on (i.e. an adult evening education class) but have not seen anything yet that will help me progress.

In event there is a laps in available classes, I was thinking of workshop DVD (i.e. Jakes "Play it Loud" or Bob Brozman's).

I did see a upcoming workshop here in San Diego May 7th but I must admit that I feel that I am to much of a beginner to appreciate the level being offered. Friends of mine did mention jam sessions up in Encinitas during evenings (Wed. I believe).

So, as a novice, I am looking forward into some constructive guidence along the way.

Thank you in advance, JohnF

Tonya
Lokahi

USA
177 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2005 :  10:28:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tonya's Homepage
My advice is general, since I don't know the offerings/opportunities in your local area. I'm also not an accomplished musician--so my comments simply come from what I've learned and are not "official" in any way.

• Take advantage of any opportunities to go hear folks playing--and take your ukulele even if you think you're not good enough. You might find that there are opportunities to jam before or after the playing. Jamming is where I've learned more about playing than any workshops, classes or books.

• Second, before you dismiss the May 7 workshop as beyond your level, call and inquire as to what the level actually is. You certainly don't want to hold other participants back because you're in a class that's too advanced, but it might be possible to take the course sitting in the back of the room and just listening (maybe it would be called 'auditing' the class?). At the very least, you'll learn a lot that you can take home and work on for days to come. You also would probably meet others from your area who can guide you to more local activities.

• Definitely go to the jam session in Encinitas. You may feel a little uncomfortable at first, but I've only met two people in the last 2.5 years who play ukulele who were what I would consider jerks (that's a really, really small percentage in my book). Ukulele (and TaroPatch) people are friendly, willing to share and they seem to enjoy playing with those of us who aren't as gifted--and they encourage us to get better.

• You may be beyond the "beginner" nature of the many resources listed here, but this site has "reviews" of various ukulele method books, song books and instructional DVDs (look in the left column). You can discover details about the DVDs/books, etc. before you actually spend money on them. Go to:
http://www.ukeland.com/

Have fun!

http://www.uketreasures.com
http://www.ukuleletonya.com
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2005 :  10:41:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Hi John,
Playing the uke is pure portable fun. I carry one in my car for breaks and long drives (not that you can strum a soprano uke and drive at the same time on a long stretch of interstate, ever) so that I don't have to go too long without it.
My advice is to get a good guitar/uke tuner and always try to keep it in tune. Ukuleles get out of tune easily. It's hard to hear the music when it's out of tune.
I learned a lot by listening to simple uke music, mostly by Israel Kamakawiwo'ole. I play along with recordings and try and learn simple songs to strum and sing. Once you learn a handful of chords, download some simple chord/lyric pages and try some local songs.
You'll be amazed at how people will stop and listen to an ukulele because of its sweet sound. Have fun with it.
Jesse
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2005 :  12:01:04 PM  Show Profile
John,
We play together on most Wednesday evenings starting at 6PM (1800) in Kealani's restaurant in Encinitas (just off PCH near the La Paloma and Moonlight Beach). Some Saturdays at 1PM (1300) we meet there as well. The Kealani's Uke Pickers group is very supportive and helps all abilities. There are several kumu's (elders) that can help you learn chords, strums, and how to play and sing - in general -- have a good time. You can be as involved or uninvolved as you like. Some members (Uncle George) can be hired to give individual lessons. Most members are willing to help. If you get to Kealani's early you can get some good grinds and satisfy that growling belly.
Contact the group organizer Frank Leong to join the Yahoo web site and to gain access to the music book and get emails when group events are scheduled. Frank's email is Frank Leong.

The Kealani's Uke Pickers Web Site is
http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/KealanisUkePickers/

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2005 :  12:28:15 PM  Show Profile
Aloha!
I second what Mike says...
I'm new to the slack key scene and I live just south of LAX, but I drive south for a couple hours to spend time with those folks and they are all kind and wonderful - lower percentage of jerks.... haven't found any yet. And they're way patient with me.
Make music, have fun...
auntie nancy

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

Ukupau
Aloha

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2005 :  1:04:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ukupau's Homepage
All of this is good informatation. I wish to say thank you for the encouragement. I did visit Kealani's resturant during the Encinitas street fair last saturday. Good food and environment. The street fair was awsome as well.

Yes, I do carry my Lanikai tenor in the car ;-) I enjoy spending time before and after a good surfing session. During the summer it may not be a good idea due the the amount of heat that builds up. I do have a Kamaka Lili'u that is currently at Cris Camp's (luthier)in Escondido being repaired and I doubt that I will leave it in the car at all!

Best wishes to all, John
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2005 :  3:32:56 PM  Show Profile
My friend Mike says of the ukulele: "It's all there!" Truly a good habit to develope. The guy that showed me chords said, "Only need 2 fingah most time." Turned out to be jazz chords--6ths 9ths etc.
Greatly underestimated instrument.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000