Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 South Bay (San Jose) Open Mic
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2005 :  1:10:40 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Julie,
We had a smsall group last time, but a good time. Hope to see you, and bring a friend, or 6.
If we get 9 performers/groups, that will give about 20 minutes each for set up and playing. Enough for 3 or 4 songs.
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2005 :  4:28:31 PM  Show Profile
Just a reminder --
This coming Wed -- June 1 -- open mic at Espresso Gardens (see above)
Come and perform -- come and enjoy -- brings friends.
"nuff said
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2005 :  5:35:10 PM  Show Profile
Raymond, et al,

Our trio (Na La'au Ki'eki'e) will be comming to the Open Mic tomorrow.

We will be arriving from three different directions, but should converge before 7, some may arrive earlier.

Some friends were also invited, don't know how many will show.

See you there!

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 05/31/2005 5:36:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2005 :  7:26:42 PM  Show Profile
I'll save a performance slot for you (pl.), just in case you get there late, and just in case there is a full slate.
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2005 :  7:44:58 PM  Show Profile
Raymond,

I'm working in Watsonville tomorrow and will get off about 6:00 (barring any emergencies). I figure Mark and I will be there around 7:30. We'll play wherever there's a slot.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2005 :  09:50:16 AM  Show Profile
Yesterday evening's event was fantastic. Opening it to more than slack key added a great richness with still enough slack key to satisfy. I want to give heartfely thanks to all the musicians and audience members for a great night. What a high level of excellent music.
(I would love to mention performers by name, but I didn't make a list and would inevitably forget someone, and I don't want to accidently slight someone. - Anyone with a better memory is welcomed to try the list!)

MARK YOUR CALENDARS -- MEXT OPEN MIC IS THE 1ST. WED IN JULY -- JULY 6 --
PLEASE SHARE YOUR TALENT -- BRING FRIENDS TO HEAR GREAT MUSIC -- SUPPORT ESPRESSO GARDEN FOR OPENNING THEIR DOORS FOR US AND PROVIDING ONO GRINDS AND A WIDE VARIETY OF DRINKS. (Well, writting adds isn't my favorite activity, but we gotta make it worth their while to open.)

In a few days I will update the announcement/flyer. I can email or snail mail copies to anyone who can distribute one or more for posting.
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2005 :  09:56:42 AM  Show Profile
Raymond,

Thanks. It was a great night. Watching old friends perform and seeing acts I hadn't seen before; wow! Yes, everyone, tell your friends, grab your ukes and guitars. Let's keep this thing going.

Mahalo,

Dave
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2005 :  2:38:33 PM  Show Profile
Also,
A BIG mahalo nui to Lawrence for handling the sound system last night
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2005 :  5:09:00 PM  Show Profile
I think the event went fairly well. Lots of good performances (as has been mentioned). Somebody asked for a volunteer "mealy-mouthed knob twister" (aka...Sound Man), and I was gruntled to help. (as opposed to disgruntled). I kept looking all over the place on the mixer for the famous "SUCK" knob, but I could not find it all night! Thanks to Dr. Dave (who was loosely disguised as I'lio Nui) and Mark for also sometimes handling the kaniwelo (sound-waves).

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 06/02/2005 5:09:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

Michael Arago
Aloha

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2005 :  6:35:21 PM  Show Profile

Raymond , a big Mahalo again for putting this thing together, and lots of Mahalos to the folks at Espresso Gardens for giving Hawaiian Music a shot. Now that Marybeth and I are back up in Mendocino, we're both so happy the planets aligned and we were able to be part of such a special evening. Getting to meet so many of the Taro Patch Ohana, hearing so many great acts, talking story with new found friends, so much Aloha in the air. And lots of thanks to the performers and audience members, all were so supportive of the acts, as well it was a great show of support for this kind of music. If you're anywhere near Espresso Gardens, I would definitely check out this Open Mic and show your support for Hawaiian Music. For us coming from Fort Bragg, we didn't know what to expect. It was ' beeg time fun', nothing but great memories. Talking about memories, I'm gonna give a shot at the performers, Na Leo Pumehana, Raymond, Na La'au Ki'eki'e, Michael and Marybeth, Sukha/Moerdecai (sp?) and Dave and Mark. If anybody else's memory serves them better than mine, feel free to add, or subtract.

Mahalo ,

Michael
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2005 :  6:52:29 PM  Show Profile
For those who don't know the area, Fort Bragg (California, not No. Carolina,) is a 4 hour+ drive from San Jose! Michael and his wife started the evening off with some very nice numbers - Michael playing very tasty slack key, his wife singing and playing uke.
So glad you folks made it down here - great to meet you and hear you.
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2005 :  04:38:36 AM  Show Profile
Michael,

Good job with the names. We should keep a better record. I think it was Suska, but I may be wrong.

It's always amazing to me to see how much talent there is in the Patch. There are a lot of "sleepers" out there and you and your wife are no exception. Your performance was outstanding, the kind of backyard, luau, nahenahe playing that to me is the heart and soul of this music. Please come back again.

Aloha nui loa,

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Michael Arago
Aloha

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2005 :  07:57:10 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Dave.

Thanks for the kind words, also thanks for the help with the performers names, MaryBeth thinks Suska is correct.

We really enjoyed all the music we heard that night. I was really impressed with the diversity of stlyes, as well as the high level of playing. It was an incredibly nurtuting atmosphere for a nervous slack-key player and his equally nervous musical partner. We'd love to come back, hang wid you guys for an evening, not many folks play this kind of music up here. We felt sooo much Aloha from everyone we met last Wednesday, for us it was a very special night.

We're not sure when we can make it back down for an open-mic, but September looks like a possibility. We come down to visit my folks in Mill Valley fairly often, maybe we can get together for some kanikapila on one of those trips?

Tanks Eh !

Michael

Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2005 :  07:34:39 AM  Show Profile
Ladies & Gentlemen,
I have a scheduling problem for the next open mic, but I thought it would be better to continue the momentum rather than to cancel an evening just because I can't make it. So ....

I'm looking for a volunteer to "coordinate" the evening -- not much work, really --
- handle sign up at 7:00 and division of time
- keep time during the evening
- make occasionally announcements reminding people to enjoy EG food & drink
- run the doorprize raffle.

Sound like much more work than it is.

Who can take over Wed. 7/6?

Thanks much
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2005 :  09:03:09 AM  Show Profile
Good news --
Paul Gonda has volunteerd to coordinate the July 6 open mic, so the event is on.
Just a reminder .... Espresso Garden has great food, a wide range of alcohol, soft, and coffee based drinks, ... and the music, based upon the first two months was really great.
Hope there's a wonderful turnout .... and I'll be back for the August event.
(I always take off for my birthday, and this year we're making it a week long event)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000