Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Am I too short?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rd2ruin
Akahai

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2002 :  08:30:02 AM  Show Profile
Say I've written eight songs recently, and all but a couple clock in at almost exactly three minutes. On one hand, I'm comfortable with the songs in general, but I'm wondering if they are a little on the, um, tiny size.

Maybe it's lack of effort, maybe it's my attention deficit disorder, maybe it's because I've always been a fan of the Ramones and thier motto "If you dont like this one, stick around a couple of minutes, maybe you'll like the next one." But when I hear something I wrote struggle to get to three minutes, I'm wondering if I'm shortchanging myself and the listener by not finding ways to extend it.

So far, my experimenting has yielded mixed results. Sometimes I can find a way to end it more gracefully with additions. More often than not it sounds like I'm stretching it and it sounds, well, stretched.

How long do you guys find that a song is a song, and not just a couple phrases with unfinished business shacking up together? Ferdinando Carulli wrote some terrific classical pieces under three minutes, but the style he used was typically faster tempo and more condusive to compact songs.

Or does it even matter?

-Greg

cgriffin
Aloha

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2002 :  10:09:46 AM  Show Profile  Send cgriffin a Yahoo! Message
Greg,

In my opinion, the only thing that matters is what's in your heart when you play your music. If there is love there, it's going to be felt by whoever is listening ;-)

The opposite scenario to Love would be pride. Not that we shouldn't be proud of our music and musicianship, but I've experienced during my 20 years as an amateur musician that I didn't really *become* a musician until my ego got out of the way and the music showed me what was hiding underneath. I think that's the goal we're all after, whether we consciously know it or not; and it's highly spiritual.

Best,
Chris

quote:

Or does it even matter?

-Greg

--
Chris Griffin
Go to Top of Page

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2002 :  12:29:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage
JWN's response is on the money, so I'll just add my usual pedantic footnote--

Slack key is not unlike a number of folk traditions in that the basic unit seems short compared to the classic 32-bar Tin Pan Alley form (or the open-ended/endless rock-blues-jazz solo). American fiddle tunes and the celtic dance forms from which they're descended tend toward eight-bar ABAB formats, and at dance tempo, they seem pretty short. In their original contexts (that is, at dances), the form is just repeated until the dance is over. In some traditions and settings, two or three tunes are strung together to form sets. This is very common in, say, Northumbrian dance-band and Irish concert-band practice--in the former, the tempo stays the same, while in the latter there is often a strong contrast from tune to tune. The slack key medleys of Gabby or Ray Kane seem to follow dance-band practice. (Can anyone think of a medley with contrasting sections?)

The other technique for extending an instrumental tune is, of course, to develop variations--"Punahele" comes to mind. The challenge there, of course, is to one's technique and inventiveness

In addition (to reprise a recent topic), most slack key tunes are associated with songs, and the lyrics can take you way past the three-minute mark, especially when you consider how many Hawaiian songs are open-ended or are often sung in truncated versions. Another reason to work on our Hawaiian singing chops.

Apologies if this all this seems perfectly obvious to everyone, but sometimes a query or comments fires up the long-dormant teaching circuits and I get the urge to organize and blurt out my understanding of a topic. Chalk it up to the fact that I'm in the middle of writing the slack key book and all kinds of stuff is whirling through my head, demanding that it get articulated.

Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2002 :  12:34:36 PM  Show Profile
Or does it even matter?

-Greg

Aloha e Greg,

Pololei no ho'i 'o Chris them: it doesn't matter. Quality, not quantity. And as you point out, there is a lot of precedent for great three-minute pieces. So also in the world of slack-key.

A piece is kind of an idea. A good idea is a good idea, and doesn't need padding and puffing. I've heard that with painting, the trick is to know when to stop.

Another other thing you might consider is that the longer song you seek just may not be ready to come out of you yet. E ho'omanawanui - be patient. Love and respect the music: Aloha.

me ka 'oia'i'o,
Sarah

Edited by - Sarah on 08/24/2002 09:14:14
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2002 :  12:55:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Better to be short and leave them wishing for more than to be long and leave them wishing for less.

Craig

Edited by - cpatch on 08/23/2002 14:06:50
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2002 :  3:30:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
From a less philosophical and more statistical viewpoint:

Punahele (Ray Kane):
12 songs from 2:40 to 5:36 (4 at or under 3:00, 3:48 avg)
Kani Ki Ho'alu (Ozzie Kotani):
14 songs from 2:07 to 5:46 (8 at or under 3:00, 3:25 avg)
Led Live-Solo (Ledward Kaapana):
15 songs from 1:20 to 4:59 (5 at or under 3:00, 3:17 avg)
The History of Slack Key Guitar (Various Artists):
20 songs from 2:14 to 3:11 (18 at or under 3:00, 2:45 avg)

And the clincher:

Waimea Cowboy (Sonny Chillingworth):
11 songs from 1:18 to 3:56 (9 at or under 3:00, 6 at or under 2:00, 2:19 avg)

Craig

Edited by - cpatch on 08/23/2002 15:34:06
Go to Top of Page

rd2ruin
Akahai

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2002 :  4:47:47 PM  Show Profile
quote:

And the clincher:
Waimea Cowboy (Sonny Chillingworth):
11 songs from 1:18 to 3:56 (9 at or under 3:00, 6 at or under 2:00, 2:19 avg)

Phew! I guess I need to extend my library (and read my liner notes more often). I've been listening heavily to "Black Sand" and "Ka'ele's Mele" alot lately. "Black Sand" does have a lot of long songs... "Mele" is chock full of medley's, which made them appear longer.

Thanks for all the replies. Y'all make some good points, and even better, a lot of sense. It was something that I thought maybe I knew the answer to, but until I discovered this site, had no one to really ask about it. TaroPatch.net rulez!

I'm standing tall now feeling more confident about my ability to perform. (my songs, that is... geez you people have dirty minds!)

Mahalo~!
- Greg
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2002 :  4:57:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
TaroPatch.net rulez!

Thank you for the compliment, but really - you all rule. Thanks for posting and moreover posting good, interesting stuff to read.

Mahalo nui loa,
Andy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000