Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 books
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cgriffin
Aloha

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2002 :  2:58:55 PM  Show Profile  Send cgriffin a Yahoo! Message
I have procured the following two books so far: Beamer and Nelson, How to Play Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar; and Mark Hanson's book.

I've been able to learn a bit from both of these books, and I feel like I can continue this route if need be. My question, though, is whether there is another book which would be at more of an intermediate level which might help me transition into them.

I see that Ozzie Kotani's book has rave reviews, but I hesitate to get it because it is rated as "Beginner", and I would probably be bored with it if it's too easy. Maybe that's just my mind, though, and I should get it anyways. Is there another intro book which might be more "Intermediate"?

Chris

--
Chris Griffin

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2002 :  3:42:15 PM  Show Profile
Chris,

I've been a beginner for well over 2 years. Oh well. I think you'll find meat in Ozzie's book. I recommend it.

The first few pieces are 20 measures long, not counting repeats, and fit on 2 pages. Later pieces are longer, 45 - 50 measures, running 4 pages without repeats. It's pure tab, no notation as there is in the books you have. There are 9 songs, all based on Taro Patch, but he covers Double Slack (DGDF#BD) and Drop C (CGDGBD) toward the end. If they fall under your fingers quickly, then you can start developing your own variations and ornaments that much more quickly. Bruddah Chrispy does fanciful improvs on tune #1.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2002 :  4:35:22 PM  Show Profile
Aloha e Chris,

Eia ku'u mana'o: go for Ozzie's book. To my mind, it is the intermediate step. You may find the pieces "easy" to finger, but to play them with the nahenahe touch so they flow like water, that takes time. And they are solid slack key style, in a few different tunings, with much use of traditional vamps and parallel 6ths. They will expose you to "vocabulary" you may not be familiar with yet. I think you'll get a feeling of a body of work, too, since they are all Ozzies arrangements.
And if you are like me, you'll want to have it sooner or later anyway in your library, because you never know when these things will disappear or go out of print!

Aloha no,
Sarah

Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2002 :  6:18:26 PM  Show Profile
Sarah, you make a good point about going out of print! I tried to buy Ozzie Kotani's book as a gift at Barnes and Noble but they no longer carry it, couldn't find it at mele.com, and finally ordered it from Amazon, but they can't ship it until 9/8 or 9/9, no explanation why. I wanted to give it to my hosts this weekend. Oh well. I'm having it shipped to them instead.

So Chris, yes, grab it quick! Sorry, it's vanishing had slipped my mind.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

cgriffin
Aloha

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2002 :  10:05:16 AM  Show Profile  Send cgriffin a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for all the advice to everyone who posted here! I've ordered Ozzie's book and I'm working on Moe 'Uhane until that arrives. (Moe 'UHane is one of my favorites, and it's quite accessible).

My background in classical guitar is serving me well in that I haven't had much problems getting my fingers to do the right things, but it might be a while before I'm fluid improvising in Taro Patch or the other tunings ;-)

Mahalo,
Chris

--
Chris Griffin
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000