Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Tenor strings .. wound or not?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PuaLynn
Lokahi

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2005 :  05:29:59 AM  Show Profile
I'm about to swap out my tenor strings that include wound strings, going with the Aquila no wound, high G. I'm interested in opions on wound versus unwound, high vs low G etc. Also, I feel a bit phobic whenever I have to change instrument strings. Am I alone in this?

Me ke aloha,
Lynn

sandman
Lokahi

USA
181 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2005 :  06:33:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit sandman's Homepage
I switched to Aquila no wound low G on my tenor and am quite happy with the change.
A hui hou,
Sandy

Leap into the boundless and make it your home.
Zhuang-zi
Go to Top of Page

Steven Espaniola
Lokahi

225 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2005 :  07:08:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Steven Espaniola's Homepage
Its a matter of personal preference. Low G can come in handy when playing solo, to "fill out" the sound. High G can definitely be practical for group situations where you dont really have to worry about the bass being covered. Again, it's really a matter of what you prefer. I play both.
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2005 :  07:53:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
quote:
Its a matter of personal preference. Low G can come in handy when playing solo, to "fill out" the sound. High G can definitely be practical for group situations where you dont really have to worry about the bass being covered. Again, it's really a matter of what you prefer. I play both.
amene! my preferred setup are ko`olau golds with a wound low G. but, with all nylon aquila with high G, you sound like an assertive soprano . byron yasui prefers the high G, i've been told, because he like the reentrant style of finger picking.

CGEAfully,
keith
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2005 :  09:07:28 AM  Show Profile
marzullo sez:
quote:
because he like the reentrant style of finger picking.

Hey Keith, I've seen a lot of reentrant code but what the heck is reentrant fingerpicking??

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2005 :  10:53:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
it is a weird name, at least for us CS heads, eh?

take shiela's ukulele and finger a simple C chord: 0003. these notes are GCEC. now, come up with a finger pick pattern that gives you an ascending arpeggio. numbering the string G = 4, C = 3, etc, on her uke you would pick 3241 3241 ... which can be done with a nice thumb/index finger alternation. because of this, byron said that the tuning was "reentrant. on my uke, you would pick 4321 4321 4321 which is more of a brush than a pick pattern.

aloha,
keith
Go to Top of Page

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2005 :  1:57:19 PM  Show Profile
I have a low G tenor and had the Koaloha "special" strings on them. Never did get the brand name but they had a sticky feel like the Aquila strings - but nice tone. I wasn't satisfied with Aquila strings (low G) - something missing. I tried some black Hilo strings and didn't like the tone. I recently restringed to the low G high tension Worth strings (from Japan) that are made of "fishing line". They are not wound. They have a great tone. They are not squishy (low tension) like some (plastic) strings. They hold their tuning and don't stretch into tune as much as all the other strings I have tried. They don't give me finger squeek on slides, and quick chord changes. . . . I guess you could say I like them. Plus you get twice as much string as you need to string a single tenor ukulele. Being of Scottish decent (among the thousand or so others) I am a bit fond of a bargain -- two for one deal. You just can't go down to the local music store and buy them. There are a couple of on-line dealers you can order them from. http://www.ukuleleworld.com/uw_worth_strings.html

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

goto636
Aloha

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2005 :  03:03:00 AM  Show Profile
Aloha,

I used to be really nervous about changing strings and losing a sound that I was used to, but it became a challenge to find the sound that I really wanted.

I now have three different tenors all currently tuned to high G.
One (mango) is strung with Aquilas with no wound strings,
One (koa) with Hilo blacks with a wound C,
and one (mahogany) with GHS nylon with a wound C.

I've tried different strings on all of them and so far these combinations for these ukes sound best to me. I haven't had the mahogany uke very long so I'm still experimenting with it. I'll probably try the Worth fluorcarbon strings next.

I think you should try different strings to find the sound that you want. Every set will sound different and introduce a new voice. Going between low and high G is a matter of playing style and sound preference. There are times when you'll want both for different songs. (I couldn't stand having to choose so I bought another uke :-)

So experiment, have fun - you'll also get really good at changing strings!
Go to Top of Page

ToeBone
Aloha

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2005 :  09:52:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit ToeBone's Homepage
I used to be real firm about strings - reentrant and no wound strings, period. Then this dude who I'm trying to learn some chops from tells me put on Ko`olau golds, low G, wound. I didn't want to but I did it and now I love 'em!

BTW, if you have Brian Tolentino's new CD, he plays low G and high G tenor on the same song, with a baritone thrown in there for good measure! Great tunes by the way, worth $15 for sure. It'll be released in a couple of weeks if you can't get it directly from him.

Uke that 'tude!
Go to Top of Page

5thumbs
Aloha

6 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2005 :  09:25:16 AM  Show Profile
I believe he also uses Savarez Alliance classical guitar strings (red card) on his ukulele. When he goes Low G I believe it is a Pro Arte wound string. Savaraz Alliance 541R for A, 542 for E, and 543 for C. D'Addario Pro Arte Light D (J4304) for low G. Give it a try..... Personally I prefer this string combination to the other's mentioned here. Please be sure that your bridge can accomidate this string tension.
Go to Top of Page

angorawol
Aloha

Belgium
1 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2005 :  1:17:49 PM  Show Profile
For some reasons my luthier has put Ko'olau gold strings on my (soprano)-uke, I like them very much.
I'm also put Aquila's on the other (soprano), but I find them to hard, I'm not a fan of these strings
I love the Ko'olau gold strings. (they're available in many choices on their own website

Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2005 :  12:14:26 AM  Show Profile
I'm in Colorado...low G tenor sets are hard to find.
Where/Who online has the best place to get some

Tenor...Low G sets.

need em soon.
Probably Ko'olau Gold--but anything even Kamaka, if it's a good, balanced set...

but definitely want to go with a Wound G, (and C) set,

The set that was shipped with my G string has the SAME GAUGE for the G and C!
it works ok, but a heavier G should be better.

Who's quick, easy, decently priced, and FAST?
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2005 :  3:18:51 PM  Show Profile
Did you start that other thread, about urgently needing strings, yesterday? Same answer, Mike at alternatetunings.com

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

jlsulle
Lokahi

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2005 :  3:48:02 PM  Show Profile  Send jlsulle a Yahoo! Message
Gordon,
Try juststrings.com for your low G needs. They have most anything you are looking for. JLSulle'
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000