Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 `Uke Talk
 Buying First Uke
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

All Thumbs
Aloha

35 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2005 :  10:55:27 AM  Show Profile
I posted a message here some time ago regarding advice on buying my first uke and got some great feedback. Since then I've been looking around and am more confused now than when I first started. There's a lot of ukes out there. So, more questions. But first my budget: I'm looking for a concert uke in the $300 to $400 range. I'm assuming that I can get a quality musical instrument in this price range. Now, my questions.

1. Should I be looking at all koa construction, or trying to find a uke with a spruce or other wood top?

2. Are there particular makes in the price range that I've given that I should be looking at?

3. Other than sound, what features/construction aspects should I be focusing on when looking at ukes?

4. Should I be looking at used, and if so, some suggestios as to where I should look and what to look for?

5. Is there a book/website I should look at that will answer all of these questions?

6. Am I asking too many questions and should I just go buy any uke and just start playing?

Mahalo for any suggestions.

All Thumbs

I have learned that there lies dormant in the souls of all men a penchant for some particular musical instrument, and an unsuspected yearning to learn to play on it, that are bound to wake up and demand attention some day. Therefore, you who rail at such as disturb your slumbers with unsuccessful and demoralizing attempts to subjugate a fiddle, beware! for sooner or later your own time will come.

Mark Twain

Pops
Lokahi

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2005 :  2:03:28 PM  Show Profile
Thumbs,

I believe that you can find a decent concert model in your price range. Some of the brands/makers in this range include: Mele 'Ukulele, Pono, Bushmans, Praiselands, Flukes, Lehua, Lanakais, etc. If you live near a decent music store check out as many models and makers as you can. A careful look at the instrument's construction can tell you alot. Is it glued together well? Are the frets smooth? Can you slide your hand down the neck without any problems? Does is sound good (your call)? Are the frets and intonation accurate? If possible, bring a friend who plays uke or a guitar player with some knowledge. I've always found that the one that feels best to you is probably the best bet barring any stuctural defects. Koa is certainly wonderful and it has its own qualities. Many of the classic collector models are all mahogany and spruce definately has its merits. Much comes down to your personal preference; meeting your budget, etc. In my opinion, the more serious you get about it you'll always be happy that you bought the best you could afford so you don't get distracted by always wanting to upgrade. Buy the best you can afford and start playing. Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

5thumbs
Aloha

6 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2005 :  09:07:36 AM  Show Profile
All Thumbs,
It seems that we are related, I'm "5 thumbs". If you are serious about the ukulele and are commited to learning and playing I suggest you save a bit more and buy a Kamaka ukulele. I know your budget is limited to $400, Gryphon in Palo Alto CA list them for $595, however I can tell you that as with many music instrument stores do, you can get an additional 5 - 10% discount on that. I dont want belittle the extra "150 bucks" you would spend, but I feel you would be getting a high quality, industry standard instrument that will retain its value with time (go to ebay, do an advanced search on "Kamaka concert ukulele" and select "show completed items" and you will find the same Kamaka concert selling for more than you would pay at Gryphon, or any other store that sells the Kamaka concert, so rest assured you can get your $ back if you dont agree.. I have played many of the instruments that are in the $200 - $400 range. These instruments are hand made by a family owned business and they have about 100 years of experience. I bought a Kamaka concert in 2000 and played it everyday for 3 years until I switched over to the tenor size. Now I play it a couple of times a week.

Good luck.
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2005 :  11:32:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Hi 'thumbs,
I agree with what's been said so far by both Pops and 5thumbs. Ukes come in all flavors of timbre, so no two ukes are alike. You may like a cheap one or detest an expensive one.
Solid wood has a warmer sound than ply, but ply can sound okay if you're trying to save money. Spruce top projects better than other woods, but may not have the mellowness associated with strummed Hawaiian music. I think the key to a good sounding uke is solid wood, built very light. Kamakas are built this way. Most inexpensive ukes are not built lightly enough to have good midrange/bass. But that doesn't mean they're not fun to play!
It'll be hard to find a truly magical sounding uke in the sub-$400 range, but that's okay. Buy what you can afford that's playable, probably more than $100. Anything under that is junk and won't last long. I would also look into a used Kamaka. Even though a lot of them develop small cracks with age and humidity changes but they rarely, if ever, affect the sound and are easily repaired. My Kamaka is 46 years old, light as a feather and sounds heavenly.
If you just want to goof around, try the Oscar Schmidt concerts. The basic uke with an active pickup can be had for less than $100 and the flashy koa version is a little over $100. Both are laminated, but built very sturdily.
Choosing strings is the next step after buying a uke. No one can tell you which strings work on your uke except you, right after you put them on. Be prepared to try a few different kinds before finding a sound you like.
If you get serious about the 'ukulele (join a band or start recording), you'll eventually want a high quality uke someday. Buy one now if you can.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2005 :  3:04:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
quote:
I posted a message here some time ago regarding advice on buying my first uke and got some great feedback. Since then I've been looking around and am more confused now than when I first started. There's a lot of ukes out there. So, more questions. But first my budget: I'm looking for a concert uke in the $300 to $400 range. I'm assuming that I can get a quality musical instrument in this price range. Now, my questions.

1. Should I be looking at all koa construction, or trying to find a uke with a spruce or other wood top?

2. Are there particular makes in the price range that I've given that I should be looking at?

3. Other than sound, what features/construction aspects should I be focusing on when looking at ukes?

4. Should I be looking at used, and if so, some suggestios as to where I should look and what to look for?

5. Is there a book/website I should look at that will answer all of these questions?

6. Am I asking too many questions and should I just go buy any uke and just start playing?

aloha e all thumbs!

i'll chime in with some answers too, although so far the answers have been great!

1) the woods do make a difference in tone, but for your price range it's less important. at your point, you should be trying to get a uke that plays and sounds reasonable. this means going to more than one store trying out whatever ukes you can. be willing to play ukes out of your price range just to see what they're like.

you might also try playing a soprano and a tenor. it depends on how big your hands are. i almost always play tenors because they fit me so well.

2) Flea Market Music has ukes that are great for the price (the fluke, the flea). they don't look traditional, but they sound good (on the banjo side perhaps) and are rugged beyond belief. i use them in my intro to ukulele class here at UC San Diego. i think that Lanikai is excellent for the price too.

3) At your end of the price range, it's all about the sound. If you have an electronic tuner, then take it along with you and check the intonation - how the notes sound as you go up the neck.

4) used ukes are just fine. sometimes you can get great ukes by identifying someone with TMDUS (too many dam' ukes syndrome) and waiting to when he or she is lusting after a new uke - then, you can sweep in and offer to buy one of his/her less favorite ukes.

5) www.fleamarketmusic.com has a lot of discussion on this topic. gigabytes of information.

6) nonono! but you should indeed get playing!

by the way, my first ukulele was a "valley made" pineapple bought at the aloha tower shopping center (there's a good uke store there). i played every uke in the house and liked the sound of this one the best. (it's name is "yuki", which is pretty much obligatory for the first uke). it cost a little less than a kamaka, but it sounded better to my ear. that was five years ago. it *still* sounds better than the kamakas i pick up (except for one - a lili`u 6 string tenor belonging to a friend of mine - that makes me weak in the knees).

aloha,
keith

Edited by - marzullo on 04/28/2005 3:06:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

SoCalHaole
Aloha

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2005 :  5:33:17 PM  Show Profile
All Thumbs,

Which city do you live in?
Go to Top of Page

italuke
Aloha

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2005 :  09:42:52 AM  Show Profile
Wow, what a topic!

Just real quick: you CAN get a very good sounding uke in that price range -- maybe not "magical," but very good. Two that come to mind immediately are: a) for the mahogany sound, the Bushman Jenny; for a koa-like sound, the Lehua, which is Australian blackwood. Both solid woods, both good craftsmanship for the money. I absolutely love the sound of my Lehua tenor...

Now, as for "magical," I picked up a 40s Favilla soprano in excellent condition for $250 on evil bay and I'd say the sound is truly "magical." But don't buy on the auction sites unless you know what you're doing. Find an experienced friend to help on that. Heck, find an experienced friend to help even if you buy new at a store!

Good luck! Jim
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2005 :  3:42:50 PM  Show Profile
I've heard great things about the Bushman Jenny, and Elderly carries it now. I've never heard one up close and personal, but persons whom I respect rave about it.

A uke I have heard, and own, is the Akulele. I have a soprano and it makes wonderful music. That little thing just projects and projects. Back and neck are carved from a single piece of wood, and then the fingerboard and soundboard are attached.

It's only fault is that it's a little hard to hold since it has a back/side shape like a flat bottomed bowl. A neck strap with a sound hole hook solves that problem.

I highly recommend it. Made in Bolivia. http://akulele.com/ The price is at your upper end; I got mine from Todaro himself at a uke expo and priced with a nice discount.

Don't think of all these choices as confusion, just a wealth of opportunities.

Pauline

Edited by - Pauline Leland on 05/04/2005 3:45:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2005 :  3:51:04 PM  Show Profile
Pauline Leland

Now there's a name we haven't seen in a while.

How have you been, Pauline?

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2005 :  6:24:12 PM  Show Profile
Hi Dusty,

I've been just fine, thanks. You too, I hope.

I've been concentrating on uke for some time, not ki ho'alu, so I skip most of the board. I'm slowly getting back to guitar. I think I'll tackle some slack key again in a few weeks.

Pauline
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2005 :  6:49:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Hi Pauline,

Glad to see you. Hoping your guitar is not too jealous of the attention your ukulele's been getting.

Andy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000