Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Extinct Birds of Paradise...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2005 :  7:31:43 PM  Show Profile
Perhaps I need to direct this to Konabob...
or other fans or Laurie Lewis.

She has a nahenahe song about all the lost voices of birds of Hawaii.

It's has the quintessential Hawaiian turnaround that returns...and she basically sings the names of a list of extinct birds...
it's sweet and heartbreaking.

It was too new to be on "tape" as of March...did anyone else catch her at the Aloha Angel Theatre up the hill from Kona?

She's a great lover of Hawaii, and she's ten times the fiddler I am--

and a hundred times a better chick singer!

Hey KB, or anyone, can you name that tune?
She was in A, d chord position capoed up 7 ...and modulated from A (drop D plus 7) to D (G up ).

I believe the modulation was to facilitate KB's HSG solo, so basically she was in A for the vocal activity.
Seems like the syllabic sound was...kaka iaka...........I can sing the melody....but not the words...yet.

I know she's not one of our mainstream topics here...but she's awesome...and she's got a Hawaiian heart.
grb

mikala
Aloha

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2005 :  03:36:18 AM  Show Profile
I heard Laurie on KPFA a few weeks ago "I think it was on Panhandle Country" anyway she played a recording of that tune that she had just recorded the day before.FANTASTIC!Don't know what key it was in but she did mention they had to go looking around her neighborhood to find a dobro player.
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2005 :  06:20:00 AM  Show Profile

I don't know that song, but the often-times Banjo Player on some of Laurie's CD's works with me at my day job.

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2005 :  3:10:19 PM  Show Profile
Hey, that's right, she's a bay area girl...

I'll ask kb when i get off my lazyboy slacker rocker hammock.
and of course, Laurie has a web site thats run by Konabob!
I want this recording and the words!
I think it has possibilities to be a new one of our high rotation tunes.
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2005 :  3:21:25 PM  Show Profile
and incidently, tonight on "All things considered", there was a piece about a presumably extinct bird (white billed something-something)that was spotted and confirmed as still extant...and may help save a litte bit of wilderness and land in Arkansas...then of course the forces that be can claim Good trade...meanwhile, back at the Oil Ranch.

It was still nice to hear. Unfortunately, the lost birds of Hawaii are not so lucky. It's a pretty long list...and I did bring this up before...but hey...you know how it goes.

I'm sure there's more knowledgeable biologists and other "ists" here...
Where can we find out more about these environmetal tragedies?
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2005 :  4:54:22 PM  Show Profile
About a year ago National Georgraphic put out a cocktail table book on rare birds and flowers -- sorry I don't remember the details, but a quick search should yield results -- drop dead gorgeous photos as one would expect from NG
Go to Top of Page

islandboo
Lokahi

USA
237 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2005 :  5:10:41 PM  Show Profile
The book is called "Remains of a Rainbow" by Littschwager and Middleton. It is a gorgeous, tragic book.

The Ho`olono website might also be of interest (www.hoolono.org):
"Here we celebrate native Hawaiian plants and animals through Hawaiian songs and chants...you can find lyrics, listen to song samples, and learn more about the important native plants and animals featured in the songs and their places in the Hawaiian world and culture."
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000