Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Portland OR: Interest in slack-key concert?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2005 :  09:56:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
Just trying to find out if there would be much of a buzz for this - do you folks think there would be enough interest in a Portland concert featuring several performers from the Grammy-winning slack-key CD?

I'm working with some people who are bringing a couple of them to the area in August for a special event, and we might be able to bring more of them if we can arrange a couple additional concerts. We'd be most likely to have them in Portland on Saturday, August 20.

Who do you think we should get in touch with about making this happen (the folks coordinating the special event show are not regular booking agents or tour organizers, so a local contact would be good)?

In advance, MAHALO for suggestions.
=Gregg (Retro) in Seattle=

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2005 :  2:10:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Gregg,
I think perhaps Keali'i Reichel is in Seattle that night. Might pull people away from the slack key concert down south.
Jesse Tinsley (can't go to either one)
Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2005 :  3:50:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
Hi Gregg:

Don't know much about Portland, except Lola's (Crystal Ballroom) has been a good venue there for slack key. You can contact them at the following email address: lolas @ danceonair.com.

If you're wanting to head further south to Eugene, we'd love to see more slack key here. A great place is The Shedd (Patrick Landeza & the New Generation folks played there as an ensemble). They usually book single acts, so if multiple performers come, they may have to be billed together (I think it's The Shedd's policy, or something). They can be contacted at the following phone, email, etc.: The John G. Shedd Institute for the Arts E. Broadway & High Street, Eugene | PO Box 1497, Eugene OR 97440-1497 Phone (541) 687-6526 or (800) 248-1615 | Fax (541) 687-1589 | Tickets: 541-434-7000 | Email: info @ ofam.net. By the way, Buck (who you met in Seattle) teaches uke there and could be a possible contact. If you want, I can pass this information on to him. Just let me know, ok?

Maggie
Go to Top of Page

kaulele
Aloha

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2005 :  4:55:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit kaulele's Homepage
Historically, the Aladdin in Portland has been a great venue for Hawaiian slack key and other Hawaiian music; I've been there for a few sell-outs, including the tour several years ago with (if I recall correctly) Keola Beamer, George Kahumoku, Jr., Led Ka`apana, and Bob Brozman. I've heard, though, that the guy who used to promote these concerts is in poor health, and I'm not sure who's arranging these concerts now. The Shedd in Eugene is also an exceptional venue; we saw Patrick & co. there last year, Led several weeks ago, and Keola is coming on 5/15. I don't know anything about their booking policies. But Portland and the Willamette Valley have a significant Hawaiian community, and a well-promoted and -publicized concert can do very well.

Kaulele
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2005 :  08:55:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
Aloha kakou - keep the comments coming, and I'll pass them on to the folks here in Seattle.

What's happening is that they are involved in a big celebration in Kalama WA on Aug. 19-20; the town's 175th anniversary, connected with John Kalama coming from Maui (with Hudson's Bay Company) and marrying into/becoming a chief of the local Native American tribe, and a gathering of descendants from Hawai`i & several regional tribes.

Originally, just two of the Palm Records folks were coming, but now they can bring a five-player showcase (with hula dancer as well) for a reasonable cost - but more than was originally budgeted for. But they can make it work better if they have a couple more shows on the same trip, so they are looking at Puget Sound area Thursday, Kalama Friday, and somewhere else Saturday (and I will pass on the suggestion of Eugene as well, thank you.)

We knew it was the same weekend as Keali`i Reichel - in fact, the same promoter is handling both Reichel and the Palm Records tours; the Kalama plan was set up long before Reichel became available, but the thinking is that there may be people in Oregon who would come to hear slack-key, but may not be as interested in driving up to Seattle for Reichel.

I'll drop a note to Buck, but feel free to check around with people and get a sense of what could work where - we still have time to discuss several ideas.

MAHALO nui loa!

Edited by - Retro on 05/05/2005 09:02:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2005 :  5:00:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Mahalo, Gregg! Keep us all posted...
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Larry Goldstein
Lokahi

267 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2005 :  06:59:56 AM  Show Profile
Good news all around. I live in Olympia but great music is always worth a drive.

Larry
Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2005 :  7:15:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
Sounds terrific Gregg! Thanks for letting us know what's happening. Say, is Dennis Kamakahi coming to this celebration too? I vaguely recall from the Seattle workshop that he maybe knew John Kalama or at least told us the story about him and his association with the Kalama tribe. It somehow rings a bell. Anyway, just curious.

Maggie
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2005 :  06:40:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
At this point, we don't expect Dennis to be coming, as he'll likely be busy with a fresh round of Patrick Landeza's wonderful workshops around that time. Tentatively, we're looking at John Keawe & Charlie Recaido, but if the rest of a tour comes together, there will be at least three more of the guitarists from the Grammy-winning CD. =Gregg=
Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2005 :  11:44:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
Aloha Gregg:

That's right. I forgot about Patrick's workshops too. Are they confirmed yet? Haven't seen any confirmation on TP, but I believe Dennis was going to be doing them again. Wow, so far the lineup looks great! Definitely contact The Shedd in Eugene (please, please!) or someone up in Portland. We'd love to see ANYBODY over here!!!!! I feel like those folks in Ohio!

Maggie
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2005 :  1:38:55 PM  Show Profile
Aloha e Gregg (retro),
I am very interested in the Kalama story. Could you point me to some info? I have done a search on Kalama and have come up with a bazillion links about the port and kalama sutta buddha stuffs. The whole notion of Hawaiians in the early West Mainland fascinates me (search in the archives for my post about the Utah connection.) Maybe `Opukaha`ia wasn't the first.

...Reid

Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2005 :  7:10:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Reid,
There are still a few vestiges of early Hawaiian settlers. Check out www.cityofkalama.org/history.htm
It's not exhaustive, but it's something. John Kalama came to the states on a ship around 1830. Because he joined and became important to the Nisqually people, he's a local hero. The area of northern Utah and southern Idaho is called "Owyhee", after some Hawaiian settlers. And there was the Mormon town of Iosepa, a settlement of Mormon pilgrims who came to Utah from the islands to be close to the temple in Salt Lake City. Search "Iosepa, Utah".
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2005 :  02:26:45 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Jesse,

My reference to my post about Utah was about Iosepa.

See:

http://www.kued.org/productions/polynesian/history/

That is of even more interest because the 19 year old authoress of the song sometimes known as "Hoe, hoe na wa`a" came from Iosepa. She got much of the geography wrong (especially of the BI) because she was a malihini, and, somehow (read kauna into the title) the song got turned into a kolohe message that I don't think a reverent young Mormon girl intended.

...Reid

Go to Top of Page

Puna
Lokahi

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2005 :  06:21:32 AM  Show Profile
Reid

Mahalo for the link! I enjoy the history of the islands, even when the islanders are not on the islands (or something like that).

Jesse - an error in your link. Try www.cityofkalama.com/history.htm

Puna

Puna
Go to Top of Page

Puna
Lokahi

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2005 :  06:23:29 AM  Show Profile
Hmm, I just 'graduated' to Lokahi. Takes a long time when you're mostly a lurker. I suspect I'll hit 'olu'olu sometime around 2010.

Still...guess I need to have a 'uniki party!

Puna

Puna
Go to Top of Page

Ken
Aloha

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2005 :  06:54:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ken's Homepage
Aloha from the Island of Mount Shasta!

The Slack Key Preservation Society (SKPS) is interested in scheduling concerts anywhere there is an interest. The Pacific Northwest should get some good Aloha too!

Because SKPS is a non-profit organization, SKPS can generally
obtain concert venues at a lower cost than commercial ventures.
Please let SKPS know if we can be of service or work with you to further your concert goals.

Mahalo,

Ken Armstrong
The Slack Key Preservation Society
www.skps.org
emailto: ken @ skps.org

Ken Armstrong
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page