Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Introduce Yourself
 Aloha from Northeastern California
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

JeffC
Lokahi

USA
189 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2005 :  12:36:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit JeffC's Homepage
Greetings Slackers

I signed on to Taropatch several months ago and have checked in periodically and enjoyed some of the chatlines. This is my first posting, though.

My wife and I run an ecological consulting business and are starting a nonprofit, we have two children under the age of 5, and... there must be something else I can't remember at the moment... Generally the only time I have to participate on-line is late in the evening, which is also the only time I have to play guitar. I've been opting for playing.

We are about an hour and 20 minutes NE of Redding, and although we love the area, we are pretty much starved for much in the way of cultural opportunities. I was reading somebody's posting from Paradise CA, who'd said she felt like an onion in a petunia patch (or something along those lines) because of her musical passions. I know how she feels. We maybe even further removed from cultural civilization than she. Being removed from civilization is not all bad mind you, but there aren't fellow Hawaiian music enthusiasts behind every bush around here (not much surfing either!).

I have been playing around with different slack key tunings for the past few years (although until recently my playing was very sporadic--counting maybe a few times a month in a good month) and trying to pick things up by ear. I figured out fingerings for Ku`u Lei Awapuhi in F-wahine by listening and trying to copy. I finally signed up for Keola's camp this coming summer (2005) and have used that as insentive to actually start studying and working on my playing this winter and spring.

In addition to slack key I have recently picked up some ukulele songs, as well. My wife convinced me to get a ukulele on one of our visits to Hawaii. I kicked a little because I wasn't even playing my guitars enough. But I loved it as soon as I figured out some chords. And its definitely easier to travel with--especially when already loaded down like a beast of burden with kids and cribs and strollers, etc.

I can't wait for the music camp, and I look forward to meeting some of you there.

Jeff

Jeff

Making Trout Country safe for Slack Key!

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2005 :  1:10:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
aloha e jeff,

welcome to the `patch! what town do you live in? that part of california is beautiful.

i'm one of the keola '05 camp goers; bring the uke and guitar both! and, try to catch up on your sleep now....

looking forward to meeting you,
aloha, keith
Go to Top of Page

slkho
`Olu`olu

740 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2005 :  1:14:08 PM  Show Profile
Aloha
Welcome to the TP Jeff!!
Aloha,
-slkho
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2005 :  4:54:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Welcome, Jeff!
I, too, play only late at night because we have small children, too. I miss an hour's sleep here and there in order to keep sharp on the guitar. I like making home recordings, and it's only quiet in my house after the kids are in bed.
Congratulations on making it to the camp this summer. You'll have a great time. I bought a Baby Taylor guitar to take to music camp last year because I knew I would have to carry baby gear and strollers, too. In the end, I wish I had taken a full size guitar so I could compete with the many beautiful guitar that campers brought.
Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2005 :  7:53:08 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Jeff,
You know there is a long tradition of playing slack key in the quiet of the night.
Without a doubt my favorite time to play.
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2005 :  05:43:59 AM  Show Profile
Yes, welcome Jeff (from the South SF Bay)!!

There are one or two other slackers in your area that post on this board, near Mt Shasta in any case, and some of'em my greet you as well!

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

Tonya
Lokahi

USA
177 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2005 :  06:20:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tonya's Homepage
'Glad to meet you, Jeff! I can feel for you up there in Cassel--but at least it's pretty! I'm officially not from Paradise, but from Nimshew, which is 20 minutes more "up the hill." It was just that I thought more people would have recognized Paradise...

There's a woman who's very active on a couple ukulele boards, Bambi, who is moving shortly to Mount Shasta. I'll pass on the info when she gets up that way and perhaps you could get together. There's also someone who posts from "The State of Jefferson" occasionally on another ukulele board and I'll try to track him down for you since that's in your neck of the woods.

Keola Beamer is performing at Chico State (with Carlos Nakai) on May 12; if you could make the long drive perhaps you could connect up with some others who like Hawaiian slack key in the North State...I can't make it 'cause I'll be driving to Southern California for oldest son's college graduation (hooray--no more tuition payments for one!).

I'll tell you, though, being somewhat "isolated" musically does give one a really keen appreciation for those gatherings and times you do get to play with others...

Tonya

http://www.uketreasures.com
http://www.ukuleletonya.com
Go to Top of Page

JeffC
Lokahi

USA
189 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2005 :  06:50:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit JeffC's Homepage
A big Mahalo for the return greetings! A cold is keeping me away from the office the last couple of days (don't want to share with our employees!) so I get to find out how much fun it is to participate in the Patch.

A few answers to some of the questions:

We are in Cassel, which is between Burney and Fall River Mills. It is the heart of California's flyfishing country (oh, I can hear dissenters already!). I am a literal stone's throw from Hat Creek, 10 minutes from the Pit River, and 20 minutes from Fall River.

I will definitely be bringing both the uke and guitar, Keith, and am looking forward to meeting you. Looks like you are a regular at the camps! This will be our 3rd time to Moloka`i, but my first camp. Fortunately, were are staying on island for another week after the camp, so I'll catch up on more sleep then.

Playing late at night is really a pleasant time to play, but I do find that I'm not at my sharpest then. On the off chance (like today) when I get to practice during the day I really like it. No complaints, though.

I'm bringing my full size guitar (I'll post some questions to you all who have traveled with them before at a more appropriate location on the site). I did think about a smaller guitar, but I came to the conclusion that I would be happier with my main guitar in terms of comfort and sound--the Martin just loves the slack key tunings!

Jesse, how did your family like the camp? Looks like it will be great. I'd like to ask you for recommendations on home recording gear too. Suppose I should do that at another location on the site, too.

I have met a couple of the people whose posts I have seen, that are from relatively close: Ken Armstrong(?) in Mt Shasta and somebody from Redding. I met them at a workshop that Ken helped organize with George Kahumoku a few years back. Both locations are ~70 miles away so I don't get either place very often. When the girls get a little older...

Again, Mahalo to all for the greetings. See you around the patch (and some of you on Kaupoa Beach!)

Aloha,

Jeff

Jeff

Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2005 :  07:00:16 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Jeff!
I'll be on Moloka'i and at Camp for the first time this year, and am a beginner at ki ho'alu. I've spent a lot of time at Lake Almanor and also hiking around in Lassen Park so have been close to your neighborhood and it's indeed gorgeous. Use the search funtion and you'll find LOTS of stuff on how to get your guitar safely to Moloka'i. Are you perchance a diver?
Heck, 70 niles isn't so far - especially without major traffic!! I've been driving down to Keith's neck of the woods (and you're gonna love both him and Susie!!) and it's 100 miles of traffic...
Welcome- see you next month!!!
nancy

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

JeffC
Lokahi

USA
189 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2005 :  07:02:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit JeffC's Homepage
Hi Tonya

You apparently posted while I was writing so I didn't get to respond to you. Thanks for all the info and encouragement. You are right: being in the sticks does put a premium on the cultural experiences we get.

I probably won't make it to Keola's show on the 12th (although I'd love too). We went to a show recently in Chico (at the Sierra Nevada Big Room--great venue, by the way), but it's far enough away that we have to stay over night. Hopefully Redding's Cascade theater will start to draw some slack key performances. I will start recommending that to the JPR powers that be.

Congrats on your son's graduation.

Jeff

Jeff

Go to Top of Page

JeffC
Lokahi

USA
189 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2005 :  07:07:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit JeffC's Homepage
Hi Nancy

Hey this Taropatch stuff is fun!

Yes I am a diver. Check out some of the pics on my homepage website. Our water even looks deceptively tropical (crystal blue, and you can see forever), but it is really cold. Pretty much all of our diving here is in drysuits!

I am spoiled with no traffic. I used to live in the Bay Area. Definitely don't miss the traffic!

Looking forward to meeting you

Jeff

Jeff

Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2005 :  08:42:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Hi Jeff,

Welcome. It's nice to know a little about you. Have a great time on Moloka`i.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Kiwini
Lokahi

USA
203 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2005 :  09:06:16 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Jeff!

Welcome to da Patch! It's good to see that our watershed is in good hands. What a great area to play slack key especially outdoors in the summer. Enjoy the camp. I've never been there but someday I will.

Me Ke Aloha,
Steve
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2005 :  10:06:59 AM  Show Profile
Aloha E Jeff,

You're gonna have a great time at camp. Lots of music, way too much food and Hawai`i at it's finest. I look forward to meeting you there.

Kawiks
Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2005 :  7:04:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
Aloha Jeff, and welcome to the 'Patch! I also have a non-profit (horticultural therapy) that keeps me very during this time of year. Consequently, my hours are really weird, and I too must squeeze in my guitar and uke playing during the wee hours. Good thing my hubby can sleep through an earthquake too. I also fly-fish (which Oregon is noted for as well), but mostly catch 'n release (unless I am ono for some good trout).

I'm sure you'll have a blast on Molokai and sorry that I won't meet you or other fellow TP'ers (I will be at George's workshop across the channel). Perhaps one day we'll all get to meet each other under one roof!

There was a post a while back on somebody who started a non-profit called the Slack Key Preservation Society who resides in
Mt. Shasta. I just looked them up, and here's their contact info: The Slack Key Preservation Society, 326 N. Mt. Shasta Blvd., Suite 2, Mount Shasta, CA 96067 By Fax: (530) 926-6817, Email: aloha @ skps.org. You might want to try and contact them to see what's cookin' up in Cassel and nearby. Good luck, and have a great time at AMC!

Maggie

Go to Top of Page

JeffC
Lokahi

USA
189 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2005 :  07:53:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit JeffC's Homepage
Mahalo Maggie for the info on the Slack Key Preservation Society. I know of it and have met Ken, who started it. It is probably my best bet for kanikapila locally. As my children get a little older it'll get easier to get away for playing (whether guitar or flyfishing, which I do much less of than I used to as well--can't do that after the kids go to bed; the wardens frown on that!). I've done a little fishing in Oregon as well. It was great. And of course catch-and-release! I've only ever kept 3 of the fish that I have caught to eat; there is a standing joke with my wife when I go out to fish though: I walk out the door with "I'll bring home dinner." She nods, knowing not.

Have a great time on Maui. If I had known about George's camp before I signed up for AMC, it might have been a tough decision, but no regrets. Neither one can be bad, and Moloka`i is one of my wife's and my favorite islands.

Thanks again

Jeff

Jeff

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000