Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Introduce Yourself
 Aloha from Northeastern California
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2005 :  06:26:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
Aloha Jeff!

One of these days, I will make it to Molokai. I've been to the islands multiple times, but never there. I'm sure you will all have a great time (and AMC will only heighten that experience). I wish I could've done both camps!

Have fun!
Maggie
Go to Top of Page

Kiwini
Lokahi

USA
203 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2005 :  08:12:50 AM  Show Profile

Aloha Maggie and Jeff,

I nevah know you guys like fly fish! Remind me of one guy ova heah, he like fly fish too. He fly fish, he fly chikin, an he make one mean fly lice! Onolicious, I tell you!

OK sorry. Bad Joke. He no keep da fish. He like catch an let go too. Anyway dis guy he fly fish on da windy beaches ova heah, go figgah. Try check um out! Glenn Yoshimoto is his name.

www.zenflyfishing.com

Me Ke Aloha,
Steve
Go to Top of Page

JeffC
Lokahi

USA
189 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2005 :  11:26:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit JeffC's Homepage
Thanks for the link.

I could use a little more of that in my life, every now and zen.

Aloha

JC

Jeff

Making Trout Country safe for Slack Key!
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2005 :  6:00:43 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Jeff -
Larry Goldstein are planning to get in a couple dives. We are signed up for the extended camp, which should give us (and you!) a chance to dive that Saturday after Camp. we are also hoping to get in a dive in the AM the day Camp starts. Are you interested? Even more, have you been on any dives there??? Any recommendations before we make our reservations? We've been talking with Moloka'i fish and Dive shop - Tim Forsberg.
Mahalo!!
looking forward to meeting you and the ohana!
auntie nancy

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

JeffC
Lokahi

USA
189 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2005 :  07:35:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit JeffC's Homepage
Hi Nancy

Do you mean Saturday the 18th? We will arriving relatively late on the 17th, so will be well less than 24 hours post flight if we try to dive on Saturday. If you mean Sunday, I'll opt out; I'm pretty anxious not to miss the music stuff.

The Saturday after camp ends, however, could be great. Both my wife (Maria) and I are divers and a dive trip could be GREAT. Do you know if the dive boat can accomodate our small children? They obviously won't be diving, but they love boats and the oldest one has ridden on the ferry between Moloka`i and Maui (the youngest was in-utero at the time). With the kids, only one of us could dive at a time, so would be nice if there were two dives--or enough time for us both to get some down time. That day is also Maria's birthday, so I need to make sure that she isn't saddled with all of the child care.

If you are in contact with the Dive shop, can you ask some questions about their ability to accomodate divers' children on the boat? If the allow kids, can the also supply them with personal floatation devices? We were not planning to pack them along.

Anyway, a dive trip is a great suggestion. Despite all the diving we do, we have only ever snorkeled in Hawaiian waters. As a result, I have no input on good dives around Moloka`i. The reef on the south side of the island is gorgeous (I paddled along its edge in a kayak the last time we were there).

Aloha

Jeff

Jeff

Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2005 :  07:48:24 AM  Show Profile
Aloha - I wasn't thinking about how long you had to wait after flying to dive... how critical is it? It wouldn't be 12 hrs? I'll ask about keiki on board - sounds like they are very young. We will not give up any precious camp time to diver either. No, I meant Saturday before it starts, but the following Saturday looks good for everyone. We were also thinking possibly about Sun the 26th, but I think we'll only do that if there are no other opportunities to dive. I have to check the ferry schedule for Sundays since the schedule changed.
I used to fly fish along the Golden Trout Creek, and at the headwaters of the south fork of the Kern with my father, catching goldens. We only released the small ones. Later when he told me I had to take them off the hook and gut them myself, I started taking a good book instead of a pole.... and I used to have my guitar up there to play if it wasn't just too cold even by the fire.
Camp's really getting here quickly!!!!! Can't wait!
n

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2005 :  11:46:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
Auntie...you fly fish too? You're amazing!

M
Go to Top of Page

JeffC
Lokahi

USA
189 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2005 :  5:57:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit JeffC's Homepage
Hey Nancy

In a past life a spent a lot of time over the course of a couple of summers traipsing about the Golden Trout Wilderness, high in the southern Sierra. It was before I fly fished, but it was a very formative time in my life. We can talk story about that at camp.

When I got certified, now longer ago than I usually admit, the rule of thumb was wait 24 hours before and after flying to dive. Given that I have had some susceptibility to altitude sickness when going from sea level to greater than 12,000 ft a couple of times (e.g., when we went to the top of Mauna Kea on the Big Island and ran around), and I felt a little shaky for a while after pushing my dive depth and time in Tahiti once, I prefer to play those things conservatively. If I remember, though, you are coming over on the ferry after having spent some time on Maui, so that Sat should be fine for you.

My keikis are young: 2 and 4 (my wife and I are late-bloomers), but very savvy to boats and water. We've taken them both to the field with us since they were born. We are going to bring snorkeling gear and maybe the oldest one will start to do that. She will love it. She's such a nature person. It would be great if you can find out about the dive outfit's compatibility with keikis. What are the prices for the dive trip, by the way, including gear rentals?

I'm sure looking forward to it!

JC

Jeff

Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2005 :  6:30:09 PM  Show Profile
Aloha!!
Maggie - no longer fly fish, allergic to fish, and our favorite haunts have all been closed by the nature nazis.... (tee hee, I know lots of TP folks belong to the group so no offense, just tease). We used to fly to a number of tiny dirt strips into what is now the Golden Trout Wilderness. The earliest I remember was Monache Meadows, and then later, even after my son was born, we flew into Tunnel Meadows. For you pilots: it's at 9100' and 1200' long, blind final and one way out of course it's dirt and uncontrolled. And for you conservationists, we never left anything but footprints and would go into icey streams to retrieve beer cans left by folks who'd hiked in.... And my family ate what Dad caught - no waste. A little history: that area was fairly heavily populated in the 18th and 19th centuries...
JC - I forget the price - about $100 - $120. Our 2-tank night dive on Maui is $110 plus lots of tax, and then $10 for gear. It includes snacks and lite dinner. Usually all tanks and weights are included. I travel with BC and reg. Maybe they have a boat suitable for the 6 of us - that would be cool. the ones on Maui are almost all much bigger. Robinson's my favorite - out of Kihei.
Hey, you get to LA area, let us know!!
auntie

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2005 :  9:33:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
Eh Kiwini! Thanks for the website! Very interesting stuff! Auntie & Jeff: You both can teach me the zen of diving one of these days!

M
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2005 :  04:33:06 AM  Show Profile
Hey!
Don't threaten to learn if you don't mean it! we'll hold you to it. It's a great activity for the older crowd. If you learn properly, pay attention, are willing to say no, I don't think so, it's a very relaxed way to see a fantastically exciting part of our planet. In the back country I was always thrilled to catch a glimpse of a buck, love to coax squirrels and birds into eating out of my hand. The animals you find while diving are diverse and amazing. Off the Southern Channel Islands here, if you pull out your nice shiney dive knife, you'll be mobbed by the bright orange garabaldi because they know you're going to break open an urchin or two and feed them. The sea lions are curious so they come right up to you, mimic you, peak over your shoulder to see what's so interesting when you check out your gauges or computer. Off the Hawai'ian islands you will find thousands of fish you've never seen in pictures (except Ed Robinson's book). The turtles are really cool.... oh oh, I could go on and on......
but it's like taking a walk in the park so it's a perfect activity for us old folks.
See you on Maui!!!
auntie

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

Kiwini
Lokahi

USA
203 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2005 :  11:17:28 AM  Show Profile
Maggie, a'ole pilikia. The fish he catches as you can see are Pacific Barred Perch. They have enormous pull because of their shape and you have to fight the everchanging hydraulic currents. The fish are usually caught just behind the shore break as they are feeding on the sand crabs so often times he doesn't have to cast too far. We also use the hydraulics to our advantage allowing it to suck our baits out to deeper waters by the undertow. It is a very interesting form of fishing. Best times are early morning on a rising tide.
Glad you liked it.

Aloha, Steve
Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2005 :  12:12:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
Auntie: I'm a closet Jacques Cousteau wanna-be and have always wanted to get certified, but never had the time. Now, with all the slack key, uke, hula stuff, I may never get on the Calypso! It might be as impossible as surf fly fishing for perch or finally mastering Radio Hula.

M
Go to Top of Page

JeffC
Lokahi

USA
189 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2005 :  5:40:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit JeffC's Homepage
Hey Steve

Sounds like you've experienced this first hand and know a little bit about fish and tugging on lines. Sounds like a hoot. I'd love to try it!

I've got a friend also named Glenn (Yoshioka, no less) who last told me about the joys of surf fishing on a fly.

Trade some trout fishin for some surf fishin

JC

Jeff

Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2005 :  6:46:17 PM  Show Profile
Aloha eh Jeff!
Here's the skinny on the diving:
You only have to wait to fly after, you can fly, then dive right away. We've signed up for dives both Saturday mornings and they are trying to put together a night dive for Sat 25th. Your keiki can go - no charge. You both pay full price even though not using all tanks, because keiki take up room. price: $125/person + tax. Equip rental $20/person (maybe if you go both AM and night dive, no pay for both since it's same day?) I am calling him tomorrow afternoon to confirm all this and pay to reserve. I will probably give you his number so you can transmit your credit card info.
It's not far off now!!
n

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000